Orioles sign Adam Frazier

eddie83

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This has to make you greatly question Elias. I don’t care what he has done up until this point. This is an moronic, stupid use of funds.

Imagine actually having a real thought that a left handed hitting second baseman is a need.  FFS.

Elias is no fool. He did this for a reason. 

He has his plan. The money is peanuts. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Yardball85 said:

Urias for Carrasco now, with Urias platooning with McNeil and playing some third?  Really just trying to make this make sense. 

Just to be clear, I don't think this is going to start making sense any time soon. Elias either really likes him for reasons that aren't apparent or he pulled the trigger too soon and paid too much doing so. 

It feels like if we waited a month he could have been had for 1/2 price.

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

Right, but my point was that if we’re trying to punt on this season, why sign anyone at all? Just say we trust the young guys to handle the added workload, whether you believe it or not. 

To look like they're actually trying to the fans? To keep the MLBPA off their back? Hoping to catch lightning in a bottle? Who knows? But adding mediocre placeholders on the fringes of the roster to replace last year's mediocre placeholders definitely doesn't move the needle in any significant way.

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

That's what I don't get, I'd rather roll with the prospects and younger players if the best the Orioles can do is sign a few retread free agents.

None of these signings move the needle on the team's playoff odds and they are  only going to be around for a year or two. 

I don't think these signings are about improving playoff odds.  Maybe it's more about providing a floor in the event of regression across the board (or the early struggles of the players that will be promoted next year), preventing a truly catastrophic season that could harm perceptions about the rebuild / momentum with players and fans.  Seems pretty clear that this is going to be another "wait and see" type year for the team, which isn't completely crazy given the current roster IMO.

Clearly there has been some mismanagement of fan expectations this offseason by the FO...

• Upvote 1

Just now, eddie83 said:

Elias is no fool. He did this for a reason. 

He has his plan. The money is peanuts. 

Once again this is a team that has done some pretty bizarre things to save a buck under Elias.

I don't think 8M is peanuts.

I'd be more inclined to think they are trying to keep spending over some sort of floor than think they don't care about 8M.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Once again this is a team that has done some pretty bizarre things to save a buck under Elias.

I don't think 8M is peanuts.

I'd be more inclined to think they are trying to keep spending over some sort of floor than think they don't care about 8M.

Why would anyone think a $8M, 1 year deal played any role in what SP they signed this year? I don’t get the correlation. I am suppose to believe that Elias choose Frazier and it cost him the SP he coveted?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Why would anyone think a $8M, 1 year deal played any role in what SP they signed this year? I don’t get the correlation. I am suppose to believe that Elias choose Frazier and it cost him the SP he coveted?

Not sure why you quoted me.

I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort.

3 minutes ago, health55 said:

This Seattle fan thinks Adam Frazier is due for a bounce-back season but Baltimore is a surprising destination in light of the Orioles' prospect depth in the middle infield.

The best possibility I can think of is Elias is planning a trade and there will be hole in the infield allowing Frazier to get at bats in 2023. 

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

All I can say is WTF.

Basically Elias just signed Odor with less power and a little more consistency on defense. 

It boggles my mind that it would take $8 million to sign this guy. I guess that 3 percentile EV or 2 percentile barrel % is valuable to Elias.

I'd rather give the job to Urias, Westburg or Ortiz before EVER considering this guy. 

Honestly, this is the kind of move that makes me think Elias is trying to get himself fired so he can leave here. I haven't even gone through this thread yet to see what people are saying, but this is one of the most ridiculous moves I think I've ever seen from a Orioles GM. 

This is Garret Atkins-esque type signing. 

Wonder if signing Aguilar is the next move? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1