Dodgers Actively Looking for CF to Replace Bellinger…..Would you trade Mullins?

Roll Tide

15 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

This really depends on what the goal is for this season. If we are really looking to compete, it makes no sense to deal Mullins now. Earlier in the offseaon when you could replace him with a Nimmo, maybe. But now, you would have to go with Hays in CF (or McKenna). McKenna doesn't have the bat to be an everyday player, particularly when we are already carrying a glove first everyday player in Mateo. As for Hays, that's a bit better, but he's not as good defensively in CF as Mullins which would mean all our pitchers take a hit. 

I think you could make an argument that we need a top end SP more than someone like Mullins to compete this season given our positional depth in the minors. Something like Mullins for May would make us better this season AND going forward IMO. 

Edited by HakunaSakata

4 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I think you could make an argument that we need a top end SP more than someone like Mullins to compete this season given our positional depth in the minors. Something like Mullins for May would make us better this season AND going forward IMO. 

It's an argument that could be made and I get the logic, but I don't know that I agree. Mullins on defense helps improve all the other pitchers so getting arid of him either potentially weakens the other spots in the pitching staff OR if you plug in a McKenna lowers the run production. As for the minors, it really depends on if you view Cowser as a CF or more of a corner guy. 

12 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

This really depends on what the goal is for this season. If we are really looking to compete, it makes no sense to deal Mullins now. Earlier in the offseaon when you could replace him with a Nimmo, maybe. But now, you would have to go with Hays in CF (or McKenna). McKenna doesn't have the bat to be an everyday player, particularly when we are already carrying a glove first everyday player in Mateo. As for Hays, that's a bit better, but he's not as good defensively in CF as Mullins which would mean all our pitchers take a hit. 

The goal is winning based on their actions. I’m not saying they are trying to tank. But, you don’t sign Gibson, Frazier, and AAAA players to MILB contracts and claim they are contending without looking foolish 

30 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

You know the answer

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Mullins for May is an intriguing trade because Mullins may have already peaked as an MLB player while May might end up being a TOR pitcher for the next decade. The question is will May ever stay healthy enough to be a reliable starter and how do the Dodgers view May's value right now. 

My guess is they view May as a center piece of their rotation for the next 6-7 years and probably as untouchable. 

1 hour ago, oriolediehard said:

Didn't the Dodgers rip us off in the Machado trade?  That Diaz was a bust, the jury is still out on Kremer!

Machado was worth 2.5 WAR with the Dodgers and they did not win the world series.

Kremer was worth 2.8 WAR last year alone and is entering his prime next season (27-31). 

Diaz was supposed to be the big name and he failed, but that's why you get several players in deals and right now, if you just go by WAR, The Orioles are going to win this trade greatly unless Kremer gets hurt or implodes out of nowhere. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, oriolediehard said:

Didn't the Dodgers rip us off in the Machado trade?  That Diaz was a bust, the jury is still out on Kremer!

Honestly I thought Kremer made some nice progress last year towards winning that deal for us as it continues to play out.   

He almost pitched us into the playoffs, and gets another swing at it this year if we can hang in the mix.

• Upvote 1

How about Stone, Nastrini, and Grove?

Mullins is worth 9.5 WAR over the last two seasons and has three years of Control. That’s 4.75 avg and even if you say he will conservatively give you 10 WAR over the next 3 seasons that $80 million in value.

I suspect you could /should get Miller and Stone. But, would be okay with Stone, Nastrini, and Grove. 

As @Tony-OH mentioned Diaz busted and it easily could happen to Miller or Stone. It seems fair for a starting CF.

I'd be curious if they might view Hays as a CF, or shift Mookie to CF. They may also be looking for infield help. Would Urias help them say yes to Hays? 

I'd be interested in Gonsolin as well as May. I like both significantly better than Pablo Lopez. I'd also be willing to play the longer game and take one of their prospects. 

Mullins for Miller/Gonsolin/May

Hays/Urias for Stone or Pepiot. 

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I'd be curious if they might view Hays as a CF, or shift Mookie to CF. They may also be looking for infield help. Would Urias help them say yes to Hays? 

I'd be interested in Gonsolin as well as May. I like both significantly better than Pablo Lopez. I'd also be willing to play the longer game and take one of their prospects. 

Mullins for Miller/Gonsolin/May

Hays/Urias for Stone or Pepiot. 

Per this website, Gonsolin's trade value is considerably higher than Mullins, MIller's is a little higher, and May's is basically the same. 

Hay's trade value is just bit below Stone's and same with Urias and Pepiot. 

I guess the question would be if the Dodgers viewed Hays as an upgrade over Trayce Thompson. He's been a surprisingly good OBP guy these last few years. (albeit in a relatively small sample size). 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Machado was worth 2.5 WAR with the Dodgers and they did not win the world series.

Kremer was worth 2.8 WAR last year alone and is entering his prime next season (27-31). 

Diaz was supposed to be the big name and he failed, but that's why you get several players in deals and right now, if you just go by WAR, The Orioles are going to win this trade greatly unless Kremer gets hurt or implodes out of nowhere. 

Hi Tony, yes I agree from a WAR assessment but something else to consider is did Manny push them further into the playoffs and as a result generate more money.  I cannot speak to baseball but when I was involved in hockey budgeted were built to break even until you get into the playoffs and that was where you made money-the longer the run the more you made.  I think baseball is  different but then in hockey all the sharing splits changed and it was imperative to get home ice advantage as more home ice meant more tix sales (i think somewhat split, but concessions, and parking were not-can't remember tv).  Anyway something else to consider, love the the Hangout and the way it is run!!