Are the Orioles done?

interloper

Are the Orioles done?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Orioles done?

• Yep - no more 40-man roster additions. They're rolling with who they have now.
    • Basically - maybe an O'Hearn type or two, but nothing serious.
    • Nah - I still think they'll sign a Wacha/Cueto/Greinke type starting pitcher.
    • Nah - big trade incoming that will reshape this off-season.

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Need? Depends on what the goal is. If there is no real desire to push for a division crown, then they will be "fine" right now. To get the playoffs and contend for more, we NEED  a number 1 or 2 pitcher. 

Bauer would be the only FA that could potentially be a TOR. Would be smart, but I don't see Elias making the move as his marketing plan the last few years trends towards the corporate woke model; Bauer is counterproductive to that model and I just can't see Elias deviating from that marketing plan

I'd also still be fine with Wacha or greinke on a 1 year deal too. If it were me, I'd sign Bauer and Greinke to 1 year deals. Starting pitcher depth is never a bad thing.

10 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Bauer would be the only FA that could potentially be a TOR. Would be smart, but I don't see Elias making the move as his marketing plan the last few years trends towards the corporate woke model; Bauer is counterproductive to that model and I just can't see Elias deviating from that marketing plan

I'd also still be fine with Wacha or greinke on a 1 year deal too. If it were me, I'd sign Bauer and Greinke to 1 year deals. Starting pitcher depth is never a bad thing.

Smart to bring in a guy any team could have for the league minimum today and yet not a single rumor linking him to a team since he was released three weeks ago. Dude was a jerk before this horrific saga emerged; he's a locker room cancer. If it's "corporate woke" to not want to root for a guy who gets his kicks by beating up girls in the bedroom, so be it. As a fan I absolutely want no part of someone like that on the team.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Smart to bring in a guy any team could have for the league minimum today and yet not a single rumor linking him to a team since he was released three weeks ago. Dude was a jerk before this horrific saga emerged; he's a locker room cancer. If it's "corporate woke" to not want to root for a guy who gets his kicks by beating up girls in the bedroom, so be it. As a fan I absolutely want no part of someone like that on the team.

Agreed. The O's shouldn't touch Bauer with a 10 foot pole.  

Wherever Bauer signs, he's at least lucky that the National League doesn't have pitchers hit anymore. I'm sure there are some players who would love to put that guy in his place with a fastball to the head. 

1 minute ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I see no reason not to bring Bauer in for a talk. See what his attitude is like, what his demands are. I would try Greinke. He's more proven than most of our staff now.

I think Irvin was the choice instead of Wacha and Greinke.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I think Irvin was the choice instead of Wacha and Greinke.   

Agreed...and I'm happier with Irvin than the other options. 

They won 83 games last year without any known quantities other than Lyles. At least this season they have a couple of guy's that "should" be able to give them innings. The wildcard options like Bradish, Kremer and Rodriguez will be where the biggest moves in the standings come from.

Without spending, this has been a decent off-season. Of course there were other pitchers that I would have rather seen them go after, but I'm ok with what they have at the moment.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, crowmst3k! said:

Agreed. The O's shouldn't touch Bauer with a 10 foot pole.  

Wherever Bauer signs, he's at least lucky that the National League doesn't have pitchers hit anymore. I'm sure there are some players who would love to put that guy in his place with a fastball to the head. 

That’s ludicrous.   Pitchers aren’t in the business of hitting guys based on their personal sense of private morality.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I see no reason not to bring Bauer in for a talk. See what his attitude is like, what his demands are. I would try Greinke. He's more proven than most of our staff now.

This is where I'm at, give him an interview 

I mentioned Elias' woke model earlier not really to criticize him; it was just an observation of the business model he has implemented; that is my evidence of my belief that Elias doesn't take a chance on him. That model tends to leans towards disassociation with people deemed offensive 

12 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

This is where I'm at, give him an interview 

I mentioned Elias' woke model earlier not really to criticize him; it was just an observation of the business model he has implemented; that is my evidence of my belief that Elias doesn't take a chance on him. That model tends to leans towards disassociation with people deemed offensive 

Whether it's teams making a moral statement, bad business from turning off fans, or bad locker room chemistry, Bauer seems untouchable right now. I honestly don't know if that changes. I saw a potential overseas league floated for a chance for him to rehabilitate his image with time.

Are fans who want the O's to explore signing him fully aware of the allegations? I get that they weren't tied to criminal charges and the permanent restraining order wasn't granted, but clearly some highly disturbing stuff occured there. And from what I can tell the accusor never sought damages until he sued her for defamation, and there are multiple women who say this is who he is. All this on top of being a jerk on social media, disliked in locker rooms and completely flippant and litigious towards those who have challenged him.

I never want to watch a baseball game and feel compelled to root for someone like that.

6 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Whether it's teams making a moral statement, bad business from turning off fans, or bad locker room chemistry, Bauer seems untouchable right now. I honestly don't know if that changes. I saw a potential overseas league floated for a chance for him to rehabilitate his image with time.

Are fans who want the O's to explore signing him fully aware of the allegations? I get that they weren't tied to criminal charges and the permanent restraining order wasn't granted, but clearly some highly disturbing stuff occured there. And from what I can tell the accusor never sought damages until he sued her for defamation, and there are multiple women who say this is who he is. All this on top of being a jerk on social media, disliked in locker rooms and completely flippant and litigious towards those who have challenged him.

I never want to watch a baseball game and feel compelled to root for someone like that.

How much do we follow the innocent until proven guilty thing? 

Just now, Bahama O's Fan said:

How much do we follow the innocent until proven guilty thing? 

We're not as fans a court of law trying a criminal case, and domestic violence and sexual assault, especially in cases like this that start as consensual, are never easy to prove. That doesn't mean we don't see extremely violent and disturbing behavior that almost certainly crossed the threshold of what the woman was consenting to. I'm all for people's rights to privacy behind closed doors without judgment but once consent is even in question, especially in violent acts like this, it crosses a line that as a fan I'm comfortable with supporting. I think this really impacted LAD teammates and already shaky locker room chemistry too.

As I said, I don't think she pursued monetary damages until she was sued for defamation (someone correct me if I'm wrong). That indicates this wasn't just a cash grab. Other women say this is who he is too. The Judge who denied the permanent restraining order, which has an extraordinary high bar to achieve, still acknowledged the injuries were bad. And MLB's internal investigation, which doesn't need to meet the legal standards of a criminal case, concluded the behavior warranted the overwhelming suspension we saw. Even the reduced sentence from the arbiter was still high.

Innocent until proven guilty is important in protecting individuals within our legal system. But teams/employers and fans can make determinations based on publicly available information, and everything out there on who Bauer is is pretty horrific.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Injured players can be placed on the 60 day IL on 2/15. Means will definitely be added. That will free up one 40 man spot to sign a FA. 

I’m not sure that if we add Seth Johnson to the 60 day IL if that would start his service clock???

I'd say that is a yes.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/service-time

Each Major League regular season consists of 187 days (typically 183 days prior to 2018), and each day spent on the active roster or injured list earns a player one day of service time.

• Thanks 1