2009 Depth chart is released

Tony-OH

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The thing that jumped off the page to me was Avery & Hoes @ Delmarva.

For a conservative type like Stockstill, that would speak loud volumes to me.

I agree, but there are no prospects in their way and there's no reason for them not to get an extra 170 at bats at Delmarva. If they are struggling after May, send them to Aberdeen for a fresh start, but the key is at bats. Neither will improve without a lot of at bats. Now perhaps Avery may still be too raw for a such a jump, I don't know, but Hoes' plate discipline shouts out that he could handle the jump and the Shorebirds are already used to second baseman's making a lot of errors. :D

Saying all that, I would not be surprised if neither opens up with Delmarva but I'm going to remain hopeful that they will be given a shot at playing on a full season club.

One minor quibble on your color scheme: it's hard to tell who is red and who is orange. Look at the pitching part of the chart and it is really hard to see which is which. Maybe a lighter shade of orange would help.

I'll see what I can for you visually challenged folks. :D

I would like some clarification as to where some players fit into the scope of things:

Freddy Deza

Randor Bierd

Rocky Cherry (still with the Mets I assume?)

Billy Killian

Josh Perrault

Andrew Barb

Robert Valido

Do you stay up at night over these guys? :D

Deza and Bierd will be in the bullpen at either Norfolk or Bowie. Cherry is gone. Killian will compete for playing time at catcher at Frederick. Perrault will fill a roster somewhere between Bowie and Norfolk, Barb will do the same thing between Frederick and Delmarva and Valido will be a backup shortstop at Bowie or Norfolk.

Do you stay up at night over these guys? :D

Deza and Bierd will be in the bullpen at either Norfolk or Bowie. Cherry is gone. Killian will compete for playing time at catcher at Frederick. Perrault will fill a roster somewhere between Bowie and Norfolk, Barb will do the same thing between Frederick and Delmarva and Valido will be a backup shortstop at Bowie or Norfolk.

Not that I care about most of them (although I still think Bierd has a chance), but that was a pretty impressive top of the head response. Nice breadth of knowledge, Tony. :clap3:

Salazar is the kind of guy that passes through waivers all the time. As much as I'd like to see him get a shot to be a bench guy with Baltimore, I think the O's are going to end up going with a 13-man pitching staff which leaves a bench of backup catcher, Freel, and Gomez.

Isn't there currently an open spot at DH that Salazar could be plugged into? Unless the O's grab a first baseman before the season, they only have Huff for one of 1b / DH.

Unless I'm missing something that means that Salazar or Montanez would potentially have a shot at sticking with the team as DH even with a 13 man staff, unless the O's add another guy.

Archived