Bowden claims Os have been aggressive

Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

How'd that go?  I'm assuming if the witness started talking about the Orioles you wouldn't be able to contain yourself.

Jeff Fiorentino was on trial for impersonating a phenom.   It did not go well.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I basically agree.  The questions aren’t very sophisticated, and the answers are very general and won’t be drilled down on.  I’d love to be able to sit alone in a room for an hour with Elias and have him really explain why they feel Frazier is a good fit worth $8 mm, why they chased Gibson, why they fell short on other pitchers, etc.   But, I’d also like to win the lottery.  

Maybe he'll have a sit-down and take questions from fans at Fanfest.

🙄

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not..because no one in the media will ask him real questions. There will be no follow ups and no challenges. It will be fluff.

No one in the media will ask him the "hard hitting" questions because everyone in the media wants to retain their press credentials.  

Having been on that side of the interview room, there's a line to walk.  And if you get flippant or snippy or pushy or the slightest bit disrespectful, the team usually doesn't react well to it.  

I believe members of the media want to ask the questions that you and I and the rest of us would like to have asked but they'd prefer to keep their jobs and keep their publication from getting access revoked or damaging the relationship.  

It sucks, but that's how it works.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

No one in the media will ask him the "hard hitting" questions because everyone in the media wants to retain their press credentials.  

Having been on that side of the interview room, there's a line to walk.  And if you get flippant or snippy or pushy or the slightest bit disrespectful, the team usually doesn't react well to it.  

I believe members of the media want to ask the questions that you and I and the rest of us would like to have asked but they'd prefer to keep their jobs and keep their publication from getting access revoked or damaging the relationship.  

It sucks, but that's how it works.

As someone who was blacklisted by the PR department, I understand this.  But Elias allowed it to happen and so did guys that used to go to bat for me like Greg Bader, so I agree, if you are not going to tout the company line or be part of a national or major media outlet, they will remove your access.

They really want MASN to be where they can pass their information so they can control the message. They even brought in a guy from a major media outlet known for pushing propaganda to control the message. 

At the end of the day, that's how the Orioles and the Ravens work. So don't expect any hard hitting interviews or more than fluff being put out. 

Just now, Tony-OH said:

As someone who was blacklisted by the PR department, I understand this.  But Elias allowed it to happen and so did guys that used to go to bat for me like Greg Bader, so I agree, if you are not going to tout the company line or be part of a national or major media outlet, they will remove your access.

They really want MASN to be where they can pass their information so they can control the message. They even brought in a guy from a major media outlet known for pushing propaganda to control the message. 

At the end of the day, that's how the Orioles and the Ravens work. So don't expect any hard hitting interviews or more than fluff being put out. 

I believe that's how most major sports teams are run these days.  With a hyper-active 24 hour news cycle, they want to be able to disseminate as much information as they possibly can and keep their players/front office members from having to answer anything hard or uncomfortable.  

I don't think people understand that the Orioles (or any team, really) don't want to have a smartass in the press room ask a smartass question that would get under Elias's skin and have Elias flip out (not that he would, he seems like a cool character). What would be a mundane press conference/media meeting would probably be on Sportscenter.  It could go viral on Twitter.  And they don't want that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VICIOUS said:

Salary Cap evens the playing field.

Exactly.  You can't compare the importance of free agency in football and baseball.  In the NFL almost every team has the same budget, due to strong revenue sharing and the salary cap, so every free agent you don't sign now means more money to sign someone else (sooner or later).  Successful teams are the ones that draft and develop players well and then make smart decisions in free agency.  

In MLB, there is no salary cap and limited revenue sharing, budgets vary widely across teams, and there is a strong correlation between spending and winning.   Low budget teams can still compete if they draft and develop exceptionally well, but even teams with the best front offices (e.g. Tampa) will fall short of their potential if ownership won't spend to recruit or retain high quality players.    Spending less on free agency now just means a weaker team and more money lining the Angelos' products.  

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I believe that's how most major sports teams are run these days.  With a hyper-active 24 hour news cycle, they want to be able to disseminate as much information as they possibly can and keep their players/front office members from having to answer anything hard or uncomfortable.  

I don't think people understand that the Orioles (or any team, really) don't want to have a smartass in the press room ask a smartass question that would get under Elias's skin and have Elias flip out (not that he would, he seems like a cool character). What would be a mundane press conference/media meeting would probably be on Sportscenter.  It could go viral on Twitter.  And they don't want that.

Mike Preston is pretty tough on the Ravens. Jerry Coleman before he left used to ask many tough questions at Harbaugh's press conferences. The Washington media also asks tough questions. 

Edited by Going Underground

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Mike Preston is pretty tough on the Ravens. Jerry Coleman before he left used to ask many tough questions at Harbaugh's press conferences. The Washington media also asks tough questions. 

Coleman is a good example of how to do it right. Annoying but not aggressive, lol. 

• Like 1