13th Man: O'Hearn vs Vavra?

Aristotelian

Seems everyone is penciling in O'Hearn on the active roster as the 13th position player. That would push Vavra back to AAA, presumably to play more of an everyday role. What am I missing here? O'Hearn has an option so he does not have to play up. O'Hearn is basically Mateo with the bat (.650, .604, .636, and .611) with ample time to prove himself. O'Hearn does have more power but Vavra was top five on the O's in OBP in limited opportunity and hit for .677 OPS (career minors .878 OPS vs O'Hearn .848). Neither are good defensively but Vavra can play infield. Vavra is younger, more versatile, and seems better than O'Hearn in just about every way (albeit not by much). I can see O'Hearn's value as a backup for Mountcastle but why does he need to start on the active roster? If Vavra's future is a utility guy I don't see the need for a demotion to get him AB's. Why not just roll with Vavra? 

I don’t think it’s a given that O’Hearn will be on the OD roster.   If he does earn one, it probably will be because he’s an experienced 1B who has started 500+ professional games there and also can play OF.  That’s the advantage he has over Vavra.

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think it’s a given that O’Hearn will be on the OD roster.   If he does earn one, it probably will be because he’s an experienced 1B who has started 500+ professional games there and also can play OF.  That’s the advantage he has over Vavra.

Agreed but the current AB projection thread and Fangraphs roster/Zips thread both have O'Hearn over Vavra. I'm not seeing why that should be the case. I think OHearn is making more money so that is something he has going for him.

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Agreed but the current AB projection thread and Fangraphs roster/Zips thread both have O'Hearn over Vavra. I'm not seeing why that should be the case. I think OHearn is making more money so that is something he has going for him.

Where would Vavra play? Second is already being covered by Frazier and Urias. He isn’t a backup 1B. The club has OF depth and Frazier can play some out there if needed. 

Vavra has not done anything wrong it’s just with the current roster construction I don’t see a spot for him. If they deal Mateo/Urias that changes things. 

Vavra doesn’t work as a 5’8” first baseman. He also is not a MLB level defender at second base. People want to make comps to Ben Zobrist or Martin Gonzalez, but those guys were bigger, stronger arms, and more athleticism. Vavra’s comp is probably David Newhan or Stevie Wilkerson. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Where would Vavra play? Second is already being covered by Frazier and Urias. He isn’t a backup 1B. The club has OF depth and Frazier can play some out there if needed. 

Vavra has not done anything wrong it’s just with the current roster construction I don’t see a spot for him. If they deal Mateo/Urias that changes things. 

I dont see why he can't be backup 1B, at least on a utility basis. He can also DH and play OF as well as 2B.  O'Hearn would still be at AAA if needed to replace Mouncastle on an extended basis. Do we really want a roster spot taken up by a backup 1B who can't hit?

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Vavra doesn’t work as a 5’8” first baseman. He also is not a MLB level defender at second base. People want to make comps to Ben Zobrist or Martin Gonzalez, but those guys were bigger, stronger arms, and more athleticism. Vavra’s comp is probably David Newhan or Stevie Wilkerson. 

Vavra is listed at 6-1

It sucks that Vavra is squeezed because of the need for a backup first baseman.  O'Hearn brings nothing to the table.  Vavra, despite his defensive liabilities, gets on base at a respectable clip which is nice for a lineup that struggles with OBP.  

As @Aristoteliannotes, he is listed at 6-1.  I'm not sure if he can hack it at first base but I'd do whatever possible to ensure he makes the roster over O'Hearn.  Or anyone makes it over O'Hearn, really.

You guys know how @DrinkinWithFermifeels about Gibson?  That's how I feel about O'Hearn.

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

Isn't this the kind of thing that gets determined in spring training?  Or am I just too old school?

That would be my approach (although I personally would view it more as Vavra's job to lose). As it stands, it looks like Vavra-O'Hearn might be the biggest spring training battle. Several of the recent threads (OF/1B/DH and Zips projections) don't mention Vavra at all. Are people just forgetting him or is there some reason he is not getting more consideration?