In Hindsight What Would Have Been Your Perfect Orioles' Offseason?

HakunaSakata

20 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Trade for Woodruff. Do the Frazier deal if Urias or Westburg are part of the Woodruff package.

Sign Conforto and Narvaez. Maybe Gibson.

Yes.

We already know this organization is not throwing huge dollars at the free-agent market. Acquiring Burnes or Woodruff and extending, was our best hope at an Ace. 

I would have also liked to have seen a deal for Luzardo. Keeping in mind that 200 innings from GRod AND Means is all we should expect. 

This team is incredibly short on pitching. I suspect we will see alot of innings from AAAA's and some 'just holding on' starter, acquired mid-season, when my theory comes to fruition. 

I don't like pure DH's and wouldn't have signed someone with only that skill set. 

Conforto, if healthy, would have replaced Santander's (traded), production.

Just my two cents.

Off-season isn’t over yet, they could still sign Nelson Cruz!

My dream off-season was/is:

1- extend Adley

2- acquire one “exciting” pitcher 

3-acquire an Upgraded innings eater 

4-acquire an OF thumper who could play 1B

5-make a bunch of benign moves that sends the OH into a frenzy for the sheer entertainment value 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Big Al said:

Get a backup catcher and a left handed hitter who can play 1B. Extend Adley, Gunnar and Cedric. 

Good plan, only problem is extending two Boras clients of that magnitude isn’t going to be team friendly. Not at all. He doesn’t advise his clients that way. I would have loved to see both though. 

Coming into the offseason, ideally, I wanted Verlander on a 2-3 year deal for $40 million a year. I wanted his knowledge and experience to help our young talented guys like Grayson Bradish, Kremer and Hall to see how he prepares and navigates a game. Of course, he and his lovely bride would actually have to want to come to Baltimore. I thought that was the best thing that could happen to our pitchers.

I would have been ok with Bassit, although the draft pick I figured would be a bit of an issue just yet until the international pipeline gets production. I thought maybe Taillon would be good. I was interested in Synergaard and Quintana as well. I wanted no part of Eovaldi. 

The Gibson signing was a bit surprising, but I can see some of the likely reasoning behind it. He should be better in Baltimore than he was in Philadelphia. I think many here will be surprised how much better he is than Lyles. That assumes he stays healthy.

I would not have signed Frazier, but again, I can see the logic if he makes it back to some reasonable facsimile of what he was. He’s not any kind of long term answer, and would not be surprised to see him moved before the deadline to make room for the young infielders.

I really like the McCann move, but I had not considered that until I read about the Mets signing a catcher and McCann becoming available.  This could be vastly underrated by many.

It was unrealistic, but I wanted Rizzo. I would have been fine with Verlander and Rizzo, and a cheap back up Catcher. Those two would have impacted this team immensely. Neither likely had any intention of entertaining Elias with his pitch, but that is what I wanted.

I wanted no part of Abreu. I watched about ten games of the White Sox in the second half, his defense has fallen dramatically. It’s really bad. And I see no logic in a physically declining RH DH bat. I guess I am in the minority there.

I figured there would be a trade, and still might be, for a 2-3 starter. What seems to be emerging here is that they value their players, such as Santander, Urias and Mateo, higher than what is being offered. They do not seem to want Urias to be the everyday 2B. I get the feel that they really prefer their homegrown players to Urias and Mateo, and we should see the new kids by July or August. I think this is going to be interesting to see how 2023 unfolds. There should be a lot of movement of players, it just isn’t happening as fast as some here want it to. The progression is very methodical, but we want it now. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Coming into the offseason, ideally, I wanted Verlander on a 2-3 year deal for $40 million a year. I wanted his knowledge and experience to help our young talented guys like Grayson Bradish, Kremer and Hall to see how he prepares and navigates a game. Of course, he and his lovely bride would actually have to want to come to Baltimore. I thought that was the best thing that could happen to our pitchers.

I would have been ok with Bassit, although the draft pick I figured would be a bit of an issue just yet until the international pipeline gets production. I thought maybe Taillon would be good. I was interested in Synergaard and Quintana as well. I wanted no part of Eovaldi. 

The Gibson signing was a bit surprising, but I can see some of the likely reasoning behind it. He should be better in Baltimore than he was in Philadelphia. I think many here will be surprised how much better he is than Lyles. That assumes he stays healthy.

I would not have signed Frazier, but again, I can see the logic if he makes it back to some reasonable facsimile of what he was. He’s not any kind of long term answer, and would not be surprised to see him moved before the deadline to make room for the young infielders.

I really like the McCann move, but I had not considered that until I read about the Mets signing a catcher and McCann becoming available.  This could be vastly underrated by many.

It was unrealistic, but I wanted Rizzo. I would have been fine with Verlander and Rizzo, and a cheap back up Catcher. Those two would have impacted this team immensely. Neither likely had any intention of entertaining Elias with his pitch, but that is what I wanted.

I wanted no part of Abreu. I watched about ten games of the White Sox in the second half, his defense has fallen dramatically. It’s really bad. And I see no logic in a physically declining RH DH bat. I guess I am in the minority there.

I figured there would be a trade, and still might be, for a 2-3 starter. What seems to be emerging here is that they value their players, such as Santander, Urias and Mateo, higher than what is being offered. They do not seem to want Urias to be the everyday 2B. I get the feel that they really prefer their homegrown players to Urias and Mateo, and we should see the new kids by July or August. I think this is going to be interesting to see how 2023 unfolds. There should be a lot of movement of players, it just isn’t happening as fast as some here want it to. The progression is very methodical, but we want it now. 

Good post.  I'm with you on most of it, although my SP target was Rodon, rather than Verlander.  I think you are probably dead-on in that the Orioles are likely not yet receiving what they perceive to be fair value in whatever offers they are receiving for Santander, Urias, and/or Mateo.  Hopefully, patience will prove to be a virtue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

Good plan, only problem is extending two Boras clients of that magnitude isn’t going to be team friendly. Not at all. He doesn’t advise his clients that way. I would have loved to see both though. 

Only Henderson is a Boras client.  

23 hours ago, Big Al said:

Get a backup catcher and a left handed hitter who can play 1B. Extend Adley, Gunnar and Cedric. 

Also, as a Norfolk resident, I’d like to see them extend their AAA relationship with the Tides for about thirty years. 

Edited by Big Al

Gibson, McCann, Givens - all solid moves.

Frazier superfluous so scratch him.  Scratch O'Hearn while we're at it.  Diaz and the rest?  Meh, whatever.

I would have signed Bassit and Josh Bell.  Bassit's contract was hefty, but neither of their contracts were too outrageous in context.

Traded ML/Mil infield depth (keeping Henderson, of course) for another good starting pitcher.  I don't believe Means will be much of a contributor in 2023, and I expect only one of Rodriguez and Hall to make a meaningful contribution.  Or maybe both, but cumulatively.

IMO that would be a team with a chance while also allowing a continued rooting interest in the minor league pipeline.  It also would be supportive of a 2022 team that deserves a little more FO support than it's gotten so far.