Who will be a better starter in 2023, Michael Wacha or Tyler Wells?

wildcard

If its going to happen for Wells as a starter its probably going to need to happen this year. He is 28. He did really well in the 1st half before the injury derailed the 2nd half of his season. He's built his innings up each year, so hopefully something clicks and he can give us 150 IP at a 3.50-something ERA.

Wacha isn't a sure bet for over 120 IP. He has the better overall season last year, but his FIP was 4.14 on his 3.32 ERA. I'd go with Wells

I think it’s essentially 50/50 as to who would be better.   But is it better to have both, and let them duke it out, rather than taking the 50/50 gamble that Wells will be better?  Neither one is a great bet to throw 150+ innings anyway.   

I’ll admit to being pretty ambivalent on bringing in someone like Wacha or Cueto.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think it’s essentially 50/50 as to who would be better.   But is it better to have both, and let them duke it out, rather than taking the 50/50 gamble that Wells will be better?  Neither one is a great bet to throw 150+ innings anyway.   

I’ll admit to being pretty ambivalent on bringing in someone like Wacha or Cueto.  

I think so too. I like brining in Wacha because I like having both as options. We didn’t bring in star power in the rotation so let’s get by with depth. 

OD - GR, Bradish, Wacha, Gibson, Kremer

Depth - Wells, Voth, Watkins

June/July - Means, Hall

I’d like to see us pick up Zach Thompson off waivers or make a little trade. 

I think we’ll be in the thick of the WC mix with our depth. Especially if we do above. Then we get to see what we have in Means around the deadline, and what is there. Plus, are players such as Urias, Mateo, Westburg, Ortiz, and Norby, will likely have more value. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think so too. I like brining in Wacha because I like having both as options. We didn’t bring in star power in the rotation so let’s get by with depth. 

OD - GR, Bradish, Wacha, Gibson, Kremer

Depth - Wells, Voth, Watkins

June/July - Means, Hall

I’d like to see us pick up Zach Thompson off waivers or make a little trade. 

I think we’ll be in the thick of the WC mix with our depth. Especially if we do above. Then we get to see what we have in Means around the deadline, and what is there. Plus, are players such as Urias, Mateo, Westburg, Ortiz, and Norby, will likely have more value. 

I agree it is 50/50 on who is a better starter between Wells and Wacha.

But I think when I look and Voth who put up a 3.07 ERA in 17 starts and Watkins who had a 4.17 ERA in 20 starts there are plenty of starter innings there even if they don't sign Wacha.  So sign Wacha or don't sign him is fine with me.

They have surprisingly similar numbers in terms of K% and BB% and other statcast statistics, with Wells having a slight (to the point of insignificant) advantage in certain categories.  In terms of stuff, Wells ranks better in FB velocity and spin, curve spin, chase rate and whiff percentage, although Wells seems to allow a higher hard hit %.  Wells is also younger.  Given the foregoing, I'd expect Wells to have the better season in 2023, but it is close.

Edited by Emory Eagle
typo