Ramon Urias to Team Mexico in WBC

SteveA

Urias is fighting for playing time next season for the O's, so missing ST is not good IMO.  I am very nervous about Kremer and Tate not being under Holt guidance in ST.

Cedric and Santander should be fine playing in the WBC as long as them do not get hurt. Missing ST is not that much of an issue for them. JMO

Edited by wildcard

The only one that I don't like being away from the team is Kremer.

As a general rule, I don't care about the position players' participation.

But I do worry about the pitchers, particularly starting pitchers.  

Kremer is very important for us this year.  And this is a very important year for him personally in his career.  I hate to disrupt his preparation in any way. Furthermore, I'd imagine he is Israel's best pitcher far and away, and I'd hate to see them lean on him too much and/or ramp him up to quickly.

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Seems like a stupid move by Urias if he wants to stay an Oriole.  

It may have been a smarter move for Urias to be in camp if he wanted to be part of the O's future.   But maybe he is fine with playing for another team.  Just sayin'.

Maybe he knows something we don't know about the Orioles' plans for him. 

I also think you put way too much stock in spring training. Elias and staff can watch the WBC games and see the same things they could see in the fake games in Florida. Moreover, they already know his body of work.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Maybe he knows something we don't know about the Orioles' plans for him. 

I also think you put way too much stock in spring training. Elias and staff can watch the WBC games and see the same things they could see in the fake games in Florida. Moreover, they already know his body of work.

Elias has no control over what position Urias plays in the WBC or how often he plays.  I have not seen who else is on the Mexico team other than his brother.   Have you?

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias has no control over what position Urias plays in the WBC or how often he plays.  I have not seen who else is on the Mexico team other than his brother.   Have you?

What exactly do you think Elias and company are going to learn about Urias in a couple of weeks of spring training that they haven't already learned in the last few years?

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

The only one that I don't like being away from the team is Kremer.

As a general rule, I don't care about the position players' participation.

But I do worry about the pitchers, particularly starting pitchers.  

Kremer is very important for us this year.  And this is a very important year for him personally in his career.  I hate to disrupt his preparation in any way. Furthermore, I'd imagine he is Israel's best pitcher far and away, and I'd hate to see them lean on him too much and/or ramp him up to quickly.

Yeah, the only bright spot is that I am GUESSING (not having looked at actual rosters) that the Israel team will probably not have the talent to compete so they could be eliminated fairly quickly.   He may only make one start for them and then be back in camp with us with a few weeks before the season.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Yeah, the only bright spot is that I am GUESSING (not having looked at actual rosters) that the Israel team will probably not have the talent to compete so they could be eliminated fairly quickly.   He may only make one start for them and then be back in camp with us with a few weeks before the season.

Israel made a surprising run to the 2nd round last time. They will have more talent this time but you’re right that they probably won’t last only because they were placed in a group of death with the DR, Puerto Rico, and Venezuela

One thing in my initial post in this thread that might be incorrect.   I thought players would not report to their MLB teams, but would just report to their WBC teams.   The reporting dates are a couple days earlier for WBC guys than non-WBC guys (Feb 13 for Ps & Cs, Feb 16 or something like that for IFs/OFs).

But the MLB.com WBC page shows the players assembling as teams about 4 to 5 days before  the WBC starts.   March 3 for the teams playing in Asia, March 6 for the teams playing in the US.

So I guess the players actually report to their MLB teams at first, and can perhaps get some preseason action in (preseason starts Feb 25) before going to join their WBC teams.

Just now, SteveA said:

One thing in my initial post in this thread that might be incorrect.   I thought players would not report to their MLB teams, but would just report to their WBC teams.   The reporting dates are a couple days earlier for WBC guys than non-WBC guys (Feb 13 for Ps & Cs, Feb 16 or something like that for IFs/OFs).

But the MLB.com WBC page shows the players assembling as teams about 4 to 5 days before  the WBC starts.   March 3 for the teams playing in Asia, March 6 for the teams playing in the US.

So I guess the players actually report to their MLB teams at first, and can perhaps get some preseason action in (preseason starts Feb 25) before going to join their WBC teams.

I think that’s how it was in past as well. 

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

What exactly do you think Elias and company are going to learn about Urias in a couple of weeks of spring training that they haven't already learned in the last few years?

If he was in camp they could compare him to Westburg and Ortiz.   Both offensively and defensively.  Urias surprised most people including the O's mgt with being so good a 3B last year.  He was never a good defensive SS and just average at 2B.      It would be nice too see how he did this spring vs the other two.   Who hits well and who does not.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If he was in camp they could compare him to Westburg and Ortiz.   Both offensively and defensively.  Urias surprised most people including the O's mgt with being so good a 3B last year.  He was never a good defensive SS and just average at 2B.      It would be nice too see how he did this spring vs the other two.   Who hits well and who does not.

If anything, Urias will be competing against better talent and ramping up quicker than the beginning of ST.

It's not like Elias is giving him keys to the family wagon and not going to keep up with what he's doing on the field. This also allows some of the young guys to play and Urias rather than trying to fit everyone in with AB's and field time.

7 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

If anything, Urias will be competing against better talent and ramping up quicker than the beginning of ST.

It's not like Elias is giving him keys to the family wagon and not going to keep up with what he's doing on the field. This also allows some of the young guys to play and Urias rather than trying to fit everyone in with AB's and field time.

For all we know right he will be playing SS in the WBC.  How does that benefit the O's?