Most overrated/underrated?

now

18 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I feel like Wells is overrated here. K rate is too low and he keeps having injury problems. 

Injury concerns are definitely there which will be huge factor of which Wells we see.  However  last season from late April to and start of July he had ERA in low 2’s and whip under 1 during those  13 starts while being our best starter.  He then came back before he was ready from injury imo trying to help the team desperate for starters and struggled down the stretch.  Most people seem to be putting him as 5th starter or middle relief guy.  I think if he can stay healthy we will see numbers similar to what he did last season in those middle months which would be great as a 5th starter he penciled in as.  

2 hours ago, owknows said:

Overrated: Mateo, Urias, Frazier

Underrated: Westburg, Vavra, Ortiz, Norby

Clearly, you are focusing on who is most underrated and overrated according to Elias' transactions (or lack thereof) so far this offseason!  😀  In the same vein, I would add:

Overrated:  Kyle Gibson

Underrated:  Johnny Cueto

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Overrated.

1. Grayson Rodriguez -  I see a big guy who’s not that athletic and hasn’t shown me the elite breaking stuff.  Fastball/changeup #3 starter.

Underrated

1. Colton Cowser -  I don’t think anyone is down on him but I think he has the highest offensive upside of anyone in the system.  Easy power to all fields. Beautiful swing.   Great eye at the plate.   If the contact issues aren’t a thing, look out.

When he threw that ball over the pond/lake during covid he showed pretty superhuman athletic abilities.  I would not say he is "not that athletic" and when his breaking stuff is on, it's filthy.  

Hays is the most underrated player on the team. He is a league average hitter at worst, but has plus hitting.

Defensive plus that is good for CF in the short term, plus arm. This guy has the potential to be a 5+ WAR bref player in any given season, maybe a couple in his career.

Yet, he’s a drag on the team, from some points of view on this forum. Injuries, inconsistencies, etc.

Austin’s MLB career is just over 2 years and he’s already averaging a good hitter for the team. Hope 2023 shows his ceiling as an Oriole!

• Like 1

So many ways to interpret overrated/underrated.  I'm going with fan impression.  

Overrated:  Bautista (arm), Mateo (bat), Kjerstad (prospect) -

* I trust Bautista's arm, but it's like the guy can do no wrong.  He's 27 y/o with only 1 MLB year under his belt at this point due to control issues early on (and Covid).  But I also think the closer role is overrated in general.  The mystique is primarily built around those who have the fortitude to handle the pressure and those who don't.  Bautista is an intimidating guy who owns the mound.  But so was Chapman and if he can lose it...  

* Mateo on the other hand has a split reputation.  Some value his glove as high as anything and minimize the hole he is in the offense.  Sure, there's more than one way to build a winning team.  But a .267 OBP is as bad as it gets.  Belanger's career OBP was .300.  Are we saying Mateo's glove is that much better than Belanger's? 

* For Kjerstad, I think we're putting way too much stock in the AFL stats.  Yes, he's on an upward trajectory, but he needs to cut down on the K%.  

Underrated:  Gibson/Bradish (arm), Hays/Mountcastle/Frazier (bats), Povich (prospect) -

* It's really hard to say who's underrated in the rotation since I'm not super high on any of them (except maybe Grayson).  I do think Gibson is a much better pitcher than we've given him credit for.  Some of that has to do with the fact that he's not a TOR arm and that's what we were hoping for.  Bradish is a guy who has the stuff to take us to the next level if he can harness it.  He made some good progress toward that late in 2022.

* For the bats, we've talked about this trio ad nauseum (with the emphasis on nauseum).  Hays/Mountcastle/Frazier all have the ability to put up much better numbers than we saw in 2022 and yet we are down on them for various reasons.  Hays has the most all-around upside of these 3 and could be a top 30 type OFer.  Mountcastle can push 30 HR (wall not withstanding!).  Frazier can be among the top 15-20 league leaders in OBP.  

* Povich always seem to get overlooked/forgotten.  The LHP sits in the mid-90's with ride and a plus CH.  He got bit by the long-ball and his BB% got loose in Bowie last year.  But consistently strong K% across the minors.  Good GB/FB ratio.  He'll be 23 next season and at 6'3" but only 185 lbs, there's room for more strength.  I'm looking forward to seeing what this kid does and how he improves his command in 2023! 

h/t @emmett16 for the arms/bats/prospect approach.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Since1984 said:

Hays is the most underrated player on the team. He is a league average hitter at worst, but has plus hitting.

Defensive plus that is good for CF in the short term, plus arm. This guy has the potential to be a 5+ WAR bref player in any given season, maybe a couple in his career.

Yet, he’s a drag on the team, from some points of view on this forum. Injuries, inconsistencies, etc.

Austin’s MLB career is just over 2 years and he’s already averaging a good hitter for the team. Hope 2023 shows his ceiling as an Oriole!

I don’t think anyone thinks he’s a drag on the team.  The discussion about Hays is more about his role.