2019 Rays Farm System

Pickles

Nice review.  Prospect failure rates (maybe that's harsh but) are always high.  While I believe our guys to be a better overall quality than 2019 Tampa, it's all the more reason to package some farm pieces for proven MLB players.  I hope Elias is able to make a couple of impactful trades this year.  I'm still where I was last summer: we need a top end starter and a MOO bat, even if the promotions this year perform well.  Obviously many agree, which has led to frustration despite these promising times.

It’s good to remember that a few of Tampa’s guys were pretty early in their MiL careers when this list was made.  They still have time to become good major leaguers.  Our list has 7 guys with AAA experience.  

That said, I’m sure not all our guys will become starter-level major league players.   I sure hope that more than half do, and that both Rodriguez and Hall become impactful (even if Hall is a reliever).  

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You’re leaving out a few things. They traded Liberatore for Randy Arozarena. 2021 AL ROY. They traded Hernandez for SP Jeffrey Springs. Oh and Nate Lowe is “ok”, he won a silver slugger last year. 

So in three years they have gotten two AL ROYs.  Brandon Loww All Star.  A sliver slugger. Jeffrey Springs was worth 3.6 WAR last year. How many people want to trade 3 of our top 7 for Pablo Lopez?  Brujan is 24 yo. The book is far from written on him. 

So in reality they took those 9 and currently have Franco, Arozarena, Springs, B. Lowe, Brujan, and some younger prospects. 

Well, admittedly I did not follow out the transaction chain, as that would be significantly more work, but also because while important in the calculation for the Rays, it doesn't shine much light on the value the prospects provided of their own accord.

I simply wanted to see what kind of players the 9 developed into in a vaccum.  Now, it does suggests that some of the O's players at least won't pan out, and that trading from that stock is wise.  However, that's a double-edged sword.  Trade the wrong guys and keep the wrong guys, and you can end up with nothing.

Let’s say in 2025…Gunnar and Grayson have made an ASG. We got 9.0 WAR from Pablo Lopez, but traded away Cowser, Norby, and Ortiz. Hall was a 1.3 WAR reliever. Westburg has been a Util player, but solid regular. Holliday was top 3 in 2024 ROY voting. 

Would we be happy?  That’s probably optimal type outcome. 

I'd also add that the risk profile (beyond the general pitching risks) for some of these guys is different than what we're looking at too.

McKay was a two-way player with control issues as a pitcher and contact issues as a hitter.  And he's a FB pitcher who throws a cutter.  Those are all some risk points that add up fast.

Liberatore's best pitch is a CB.  Not quite the low-risk pitch to lead with.  This was as much a draft placement as anything.  I think they saw that vs. the upside of Arozarena in the trade with STL.

Sanchez should never have been ranked in the top 100.  Is he really that much better than Haskin?  Probably has more power, but can he get that in the game?

Brujan is a speedier/less powerful version of Vavra.  The video game speed catches the eye.  But as we see with Mateo, getting on base has to be part of the game.

34 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Let’s say in 2025…Gunnar and Grayson have made an ASG. We got 9.0 WAR from Pablo Lopez, but traded away Cowser, Norby, and Ortiz. Hall was a 1.3 WAR reliever. Westburg has been a Util player, but solid regular. Holliday was top 3 in 2024 ROY voting. 

Would we be happy?  That’s probably optimal type outcome. 

That is probably a 80-90 percent outcome. 

I don't think two years of Pablo Lopez is worth 3 top-100 prospects though, so hopefully that wasn't all you got for Cowser, Norby and Ortiz. 

I could see Cowser, one of Norby or Ortiz and a prospect ranked near 15-20 as a reasonable price for 2 years of Lopez.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s why you can’t just assume all of these guys will work out.

Almost like signing a vet stopgap as insurance while acclimating some prospects to the roster isn't an incomprehensibly stupid thing to do in a year you would like to compete.

6 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Almost like signing a vet stopgap as insurance while acclimating some prospects to the roster isn't an incomprehensibly stupid thing to do in a year you would like to compete.

Just now, Frobby said:

That’s why they got Frazier, right? 😉

I feel like the hit rate on players in the 76-100 range isn’t that high.  

I'd still rather see what they have and cycle through them if they struggle over bringing a stopgap in and pushing the eventual ML evaluation down the road.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s why they got Frazier, right? 😉

I feel like the hit rate on players in the 76-100 range isn’t that high.  

I'll see if I can't find it, and I surely encountered it on this board, but wasn't there a study floating around in the last year that had analyzed BA lists and found it was about a 50% fail rate for top 20 prospects.  Surely it is higher than that for lower ranked prospects.

Now, maybe our guys can beat that.  There's some reason to believe that.  Risk profile has been mentioned in this thread and our guys certainly have the advantage over the Rays' guys there.  Less pitchers and further along in their development.  Frankly, any study that wants to analyze bust rates, should be taking that into account.  There's a world of difference between a top 100 guy in AAA and a top 100 in the DSL.