Ryan Mountcastle 2023

Just Regular

4 hours ago, Gurgi said:

I had my head smashed into the curb during a bar fight twenty years ago.  It game me vertigo very badly every time i leaned my head back and looked up my head would start spinning until I changed the position.  I couldnt lay my head flat on a pillow or my head would spin.  Did all the checks with the hospital machines they found nothing wrong.   Had the problem for six months straight before it eased off....but it continued for the next three years.  But it also will come back every once in a while even today when My head rest on a pillow the wrong way.  The spinning comes back.  

I wish Mountcastle all the best.  It really does suck having vertigo.

Thank you for the personal testimony. I'm glad you eventually made it through OK. Minor disagreements or misunderstandings have a way of escalating disastrously in a bar.

I have had some vertigo symptoms in the past. For me, it wasn’t an issue of being ill or not, but degrees of it. Some days are better than others, and I was able to function somewhat. I hope he is able to overcome this fairly soon, but I am not very optimistic of a quick return, based on my own experiences. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

They are clearly limiting his PAs against RHP.  11 PAs vs. RHP and 14 PAs vs. LHP.  He has started 3 times against RHP and 3 times against LHP.  Of the 4 games he has pinch-hit in, 1 was a LHP SP and 3 were RHP SP.  It could be a pitcher type (slider heavy, FB/CH, etc.) that they are probably also layering into the sit/start decision too.  

I like the way Mountcastle and O'Hearn's splits complement each other.  It allows us to start strong and have a strong matchup bench option as well.

I think Mountcastle is swinging a little better since his return than he was in the several weeks before he went on the IL.   However, he’s just as impatient as ever.  He hasn’t drawn a walk in the 25 PA since he returned and I’ve seen him swinging at the first pitch and/or swinging at pitches outside the zone a ton.  I’m fine with this platoon situation for now, but I don’t think Mountcastle is a long-term piece for this team.

On another note, was anyone surprised that Mountcastle’s homer was measured as longer (451 feet) than the one Gunnar hit on Sunday (446 feet)?  

• Like 1