Orioles will have 3 games on Peacock this year

Going Underground

6 hours ago, SteveA said:

So last year these Peacock games all started at 11, 11:30, or noon so they could have an exclusive window for at least the first part of the game.   Other MLB teams weren't allowed to play before 1:35 on Sundays.   Is that still the case?

Yes that will be the case again this year. 

7 hours ago, SteveA said:

Flip side is there are a lot of younger folks who have ditched cable/satellite completly and get all the TV they get from a combination of various streaming services.   They don't get MASN or ESPN.    This might expose some of them to MLB that they wouldn't otherwise be exposed to.

That would make sense if the streaming were in addition to carrying the games over the cable channels and MLB.tv that many of every team's most loyal fans have paid for. But it's not.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

This is exactly what MLb should be doing.

Not this way though. I 100% agree there needs to be a steaming service for ALL of the Orioles games, but not piece mailed across several streaming apps. There are older people that have no way of watching the games when they do this and this is nothing more than a money grab since I'm sure Peacock is paying them a decent amount to do this.

I have Peacock so it doesn't affect me, but it's just annoying not to be able to go one place and watching the Orioles games.

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Not this way though. I 100% agree there needs to be a steaming service for ALL of the Orioles games, but not piece mailed across several streaming apps. There are older people that have no way of watching the games when they do this and this is nothing more than a money grab since I'm sure Peacock is paying them a decent amount to do this.

I have Peacock so it doesn't affect me, but it's just annoying not to be able to go one place and watching the Orioles games.

They don’t need to attract the older crowd. They already have them.

They need to appeal to the younger generation and they need to bring in as many avenues of revenue stream that they can.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They need to appeal to the younger generation and they need to bring in as many avenues of revenue stream that they can.

I agree that diversifying streaming sources for MLB games makes sense for the future of the game. But I don't see why MLB, in order to maximize the fees it gets from the streaming services by granting them exclusivity, feels compelled to make streamed games unavailable to fans who already are paying for cable services and MLB.tv and don't want to pay for more services. I can understand that the exclusivity benefits MLB owners who want to stuff as much cash in their pockets right now as they can. But is it good for baseball? I don't see it.

Maybe someone could ask John Angelos. I heard he's going to be discussing the Orioles' finances with the media. I think that's scheduled for sometime next week.  :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don't know if the younger generation can be appealed to by throwing random games up on Peacock and hoping for the best.

It starts before that.  MLB needs to do a better job of getting kids involved with the game at a young age before they can find something else that's faster pace like soccer or basketball or lacrosse.  If they're trying to target kids that are 10+, it's probably too late.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't know if the younger generation can be appealed to by throwing random games up on Peacock and hoping for the best.

It starts before that.  MLB needs to do a better job of getting kids involved with the game at a young age before they can find something else that's faster pace like soccer or basketball or lacrosse.  If they're trying to target kids that are 10+, it's probably too late.  

Of course..there is a lot they need to do, like ending the blackout bs.

That said, putting games on streaming services is another way to hit a new audience.

There was a time when people who grew up happy to have one TV in the house and who remembered the color TV rollout were aghast at the idea that they'd have to miss games because they got put on ESPN.

It's a messy transition, but it's a necessity. I don't know how this hole streaming service thing will shake out. It's definitely too clunky having to exit one app, open another app and then navigate to a different "channel." That said, this transition is happening and MLB should absolutely do as much of it as they can.

14 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

That would make sense if the streaming were in addition to carrying the games over the cable channels and MLB.tv that many of every team's most loyal fans have paid for. But it's not.

Thing is if it’s not exclusive Peacock won’t want it. Baseball is a regional sport. They need local fans to watch their product.  

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I agree the newer crowd needs to be brought in and streaming is the way to go, but making things EXCLUSIVELY on a streaming service that they may not have is a poor way or doing so. Providing on a streaming service in addition to MASN, sure.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I will be very interested in how the pitch clock works this year. Apparently in the minors it worked well. It’s more about pace to me than overall time. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I agree the newer crowd needs to be brought in and streaming is the way to go, but making things EXCLUSIVELY on a streaming service that they may not have is a poor way or doing so. Providing on a streaming service in addition to MASN, sure.

I’m sure they would argue that even with Apple games roughly 156-58 games will still be available. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I will be very interested in how the pitch clock works this year. Apparently in the minors it worked well. It’s more about pace to me than overall time. 

Pitch clock will be interesting, as will be limiting the amount of times a pitcher can throw to first.  I'm under no illusion that limiting pitchers throws to first is what will solve the length of game problem but I'm looking forward to more stolen base attempts.