ESPN Top 100

Pat Kelly

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

54. Cade Povich, LHP, Baltimore Orioles

Type: Lefty with above-average stuff and above-average command.

Povich was an intriguing 6-3 college projection out of Nebraska in the 2021 draft when went to the Twins late in the third round. His velo jumped from 88-92 mph to 92-94 mph almost immediately after he signed and that's where it stood for all of 2022. His slider and curveball also improved to flashing plus with the added arm speed, and he has maintained his starter command and solid changeup.

He was dealt to Baltimore last summer as the headliner in a package for closer Jorge Lopez. Like many pitchers in this range, his stuff and/or performance jumped in 2022 and at least some of this group will give back some of those gains because pitchers are susceptible to injuries and mysterious loss of arm speed or command.

Povich is still likely to give effective bulk innings, likely as a starter, maybe as soon as the second half of 2023.

I would be very, very surprised if Povich is giving bulk innings at the major league level in 2023 for various reasons. First, the Orioles have a pretty decent depth at starting pitching especially if you consider that Means should be back in the second half. Wells, Voth and Watkins will most likely not make the rotation and while it's pretty apparently McDaniel has given up on Hall as a starter (Not saying he's wrong here) I do think Hall would be before Povich as well in the pecking order, particularly since he's on the 40-man roster and Povich is not.

Now saying all that, I do like Povich but I am surprised at how highly McDaniel likes him. Personally, he's a got a bit more to prove for me on the mound before putting him that high, but hey, sometimes as an evaluator you just like a guy more than others.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Westburg makes every list, and both McDaniel and Law thinks he plays 55 defense at 2B. 

So does anyone want to tell me again why Frazier was needed at $8 million? Never mind, no need to redo that argument, and while I don't think we have enough playing time to show Westburg as a plus defender at 2B, I do think he can be average there and his bat is ready.

We should be discussion the excitement of having him at 2B on opening day rather than watching his AAA at bats pile up while a 31-year old slow, slap hitting second baseman gets his major league PAs. 

Stupidity

34 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The LH and playoff experience aspects are ridiculous.  

If he wanted a LH bat, fine, he should have got someone who's an actual threat from the left side.  And who cares about his playoff experience?

I’ll take “I never question the Os and they never do anything wrong” for $200 Alex.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I’ll take “I never question the Os and they never do anything wrong” for $200 Alex.

....the answer is THE DAILY DOUBLE.

daily-double-jeopardy.gif

Sports Guy, you can wager all of your money or some of your money.  

The answer is:  I played at a High Level in the National League for 5 seasons before cratering and coming to Baltimore on a 1 year, 4 million dollar deal.  I lasted 44 games before being DFA'd.  Who am I?

52 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Westburg makes every list, and both McDaniel and Law thinks he plays 55 defense at 2B. 

So does anyone want to tell me again why Frazier was needed at $8 million? Never mind, no need to redo that argument, and while I don't think we have enough playing time to show Westburg as a plus defender at 2B, I do think he can be average there and his bat is ready.

We should be discussion the excitement of having him at 2B on opening day rather than watching his AAA at bats pile up while a 31-year old slow, slap hitting second baseman gets his major league PAs. 

I'm waiting on the 30/30 about the monster trade that never was, where the O's almost shipped 3 future hall of famers to Milwaukee for the stud pitcher who blew his arm out, only to be vetoed by the owner because of a meddlesome lawsuit between the Angelos family.

49 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Making a comment on a forum and then saying "don't respond to this" is really lame but whatever man. 

So Elias and company are smart enough to scout and then draft a top 75 prospect in baseball after every team in the league passed on him but they are too STUPID to devise a plan that works best for him and the team. That's your argument? Nvm, don't answer that I guess!

No, only those who choose to see things in black and white, good and bad would come up with that assessment.

GMs are good at different things and not all are good at everything. Elias has been able to set up an organization that drafts and develop's (still some questions here when it comes to positionally playing players) and how to use advanced analytics to help players prepare before games.

He has not proven that he can take that core talent, augment it with top tier outside talent through trades or FA signings, and make it a World Series contender. 

Until he does so, all we have is hope that is unusual way of adding veteranosity, in need of a comeback players at positions where his prospects are ready to play, will work out. 

Now, there are people who believe Elias walks on water and anyone who dares challenge the almighty Oz should be attacked an ostracized. I dare suggest they may find the Facebook page a better place to share those views because there is a heavy optimist (can I use that or does that offend people) crowd there.

Personally, I like some of the things Elias has done this offseason like the trade for Irvin, the decent contracts for Gibson and Givens, and the McCann trade was worth a shot. But the Frazier signing to an $8 million contract was unnecessary and blocks a legitimately ready 2B in Westburg.

When a top 100 prospect has 413 PAs, and plays a position of need, teams don't typically go out and get $8 million players who haven't been good in a year and half at the major league level to block them.

Does this make Elias dumb? No, it makes this decision dumb. I view Elias holistically and I'll cheer the good things he does, but will call out the head scratchers, and not try and make ridiculous excuses for them. 

Westburg is ready for the major leagues. He needs major league time to make adjustments that he can only make at the major league level. He's going to play at 24-years old this coming year. 

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

....the answer is THE DAILY DOUBLE.

daily-double-jeopardy.gif

Sports Guy, you can wager all of your money or some of your money.  

The answer is:  I played at a High Level in the National League for 5 seasons before cratering and coming to Baltimore on a 1 year, 4 million dollar deal.  I lasted 44 games before being DFA'd.  Who am I?

That third baseman from Colorado MacPhail brought in.  Forget the name.

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He has not proven that he can take that core talent, augment it with top tier outside talent through trades or FA signings, and make it a World Series contender. 

I agree with pretty much all you wrote but a slight quibble here.  We can talk about Povich, Bradish...he did bring those guys in via trade.  Signed guys like Cionel Perez and Felix Bautista off a scrap heap.  I agree they might not fall under "top tier outside talent" (some of those guys are more top tier than others) but he has augmented a good core.

Now he's not augmented it (I know this is what you were talking about) with a really good FA signing or a big trade.