O's in World Baseball Classic

rm5678

I'm bummed Urias isn't playing. He's the first Mexican to win a Gold Glove in decades... I was excited to watch him and his brother man the infield together. And it definitely seemed like he wanted to play.

I'm assuming this is just the O's being extremely cautious because of his knee injury at the end of last season.

13 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Felix Bautista?  he’s listed on the wiki page.

Adam Loewen, Ryan Lavarnay, Vance Worley, Pedro Strop all listed on rosters.

Some other ex-Orioles:

• Jair Jurrjens on Netherlands
  • Robinson Chirinos, Venezuela, as someone else noted
  • Jon Schoop's brother Sharlon, who was once in the Oriole sy stem, is his teammate for the Netherlands
  • Matt Harvey is on Team Italy
  • Team Panama has two former Oriole infielders:  Ruben Tejada and Jonathan Arauz
  • Hyun Soo Kim is on the Korean team
  • former Orioles minor leaguer Martin Cervenka is on the Czech Republic team
  • Eduardo Rodriguez is pitching for Venezuela
  • Nelson Cruz is the DH for Dominican Republic
  • Cesar Valdez is pitching for the Dominican Republic
  • Richard Bleier is a teammate of Dean Kremer's on Team Israel, as is former Oriole Danny Valencia.
  • former Oriole catcher Ernie Whitt is managing the Canadian team;  former Oriole Ricky Bones is the pitching coach for Puerto Rico

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

I'm bummed Urias isn't playing. He's the first Mexican to win a Gold Glove in decades... I was excited to watch him and his brother man the infield together. And it definitely seemed like he wanted to play.

I'm assuming this is just the O's being extremely cautious because of his knee injury at the end of last season.

It will be interesting to see if the O's had anything to do with Urias not playing in the WBC.   I don't think its a given.

Edited by wildcard

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I like that Kremer is our only SP playing. Hopefully Venuazala doesn’t ride Santander too hard in RF. Mullins is a competitive dude, so this could give him a jolt to a bounce back to his 2021 season. 

The good news is that Israel should get knocked out quickly and he'll be back in camp shortly. 

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Adam Loewen is playing for Canada, according to a buddy of mine.

I would like this more if all players had to been inactive professional players. It would be like the adult Little League World Series! :D 

Sign me up for seeing Adam Loewen for Canada facing Lew Ford of the USA! 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I would like this more if all players had to been inactive professional players. It would be like the adult Little League World Series! :D 

Sign me up for seeing Adam Loewen for Canada facing Lew Ford of the USA! 

Adam Loewen still isn't 40 yet if you can believe that.  

I'd like it more if it were inactive professional players, too.  I bet Rickey'd still want to play.  

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Adam Loewen is playing for Canada, according to a buddy of mine.

I think I’d like to have a beer with that guy.  First round draft pick as P, crazy injury, switches to OF, picked up by Mets as OF, picked up by Phillies as OF, picked up by Texas as a P, picked up by Arizona as a P, hasn’t played professionally since 2016 but still gets after it in the WBC.  So the big question remains?  What position will be be playing for team Canada. 

*Forgot Blue Jays as a P and the New Britain Bees as a P

Edited by emmett16

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Some other ex-Orioles:

• Jon Schoop's brother Sharlon, who was once in the Oriole sy stem, is his teammate for the Netherlands

I remember seeing Sharlon Schoop in Bowie once. He was a physical standout. Strong. Fast. Smoked the ball a couple of times.

I went to the phone to see who he was and realized he was something like a 26 year old basically non-prospect. I was shocked because he popped out in my very brief eye test.

• 1 month later...

Ryan Long, 23 yo RHP.  17th round pick.  Pitching for Great Britain against USA.  For a pitcher who has pitched no higher than Delmarva he is looking very composed and not the least bit overwhelmed.   I missed his first inning where he gave up a home run, but he just had a strong inning which culminated with about a 7 pitch AB against Mike Trout, striking him out on a 94 mph fastball swing and miss strike three.  Great moment for the young man.  

• Upvote 3

On 2/9/2023 at 8:36 PM, rm5678 said:

WBC rosters were announced tonight. O's have 4 players participating:

Cedric Mullins (USA)

Dean Kremer (Israel)

Anthony Santander and Darwinzon Hernandez (Venezuela).

Ramon Urias & Dillon Tate are not on the Mexico/USA rosters. I assume we'll find out why at some point.

Urias said the WBC wouldn't provide medical insurance coverage due to concerns about the knee that he injured last in the season in Boston. The Orioles don't share those concerns.

I seen this in a MASN article wrote by Roch

Two homers, a triple, and a pretty catch in the OF through 10 innings of WBC play for Santander. One off of Alcantara and one off of Berrios.

I’m sure someone will again say we should sell him, but I think a monster year is incoming. I think the gains made in plate discipline and “swing decisions” last year will continue and I think some time at first and DH will keep him healthy.

Edited by Sydnor
  • Upvote 2

On 2/10/2023 at 1:18 PM, Moose Milligan said:

Adam Loewen still isn't 40 yet if you can believe that.  

I'd like it more if it were inactive professional players, too.  I bet Rickey'd still want to play.  

I think there should be Professional players, but a limited number per team.  Like say 5 or 6 mlb players per team.  Countries like Japan would be limited to 5 or 6 Japanese league players per team.  A Japanese team could have additional professionals from other leagues, like the majors and Korea.  As we know, baseball is a team sport, and a small number of great players can only do so much.