The Yankees

MarkF

Am I the only one who thinks that, despite their 200+M payroll, the Yankees are a longshot to make the playoffs?

Their infield of Tex, Cano, Jeter and ArRod will cost $78M in 2009. Probably more than the Orioles total payroll. It is a historically superior infield, despite the fact that it is only average at best defensively.

However, their current 40-man roster lists these outfielders: Cabrera, Damon, Gardner, Nady and Swisher. I assume that means Cabrera in CF, Damon in LF and Nady in RF. IMO, that is NOT the outfield of a playoff team.

PLUS, Matsui at DH is getting older by a factor of ten for each day that passes;

PLUS, Posada at C is getting older by a factor of ten for each day that passes.

Last year they played Jose Molina a lot. A really good "catch and trow" guy with a career .237 average and .615 OPS. And that leaves Posada competing for ABs with Matsui.

The problem with the Yankees strategy IMO is that, because they sign for the long term based on a short term strategy, they seem ALWAYS to have at least one player (and maybe two or three) who is past his prime, making huge money, who is clogging up the roster.

The Orioles are NOT the worst run franchise in the AL East.

IMO

Waddya think?

Am I the only one who thinks that, despite their 200+M payroll, the Yankees are a longshot to make the playoffs?

I wouldn't characterize them as a "longshot", but my best guess is that they'll miss the playoffs again.

They've been adding big name pieces for nine straight off-seasons since their last World Series triumph, and have little (by their own self-imposed, lofty standards) to show for it.

Living in their territory, I'm exposed to more Yankees coverage than I'd otherwise seek out, and what I see is an aging team trying to spend its way back into glory before Derek Jeter & Mariano Rivera follow their multiple ringmates out to pasture.

They chose to depend on their youthful trinity of Chamberlain-Hughes-Kennedy rather than pull the trigger on a Johan Santana deal prior to 2008, and I think what we're witnessing this winter is an overreaction to the fallout from that miscalculation.

The more they spend, the happier it makes me as a Yankees hater, because I grew up watching them do this in the 1980's and it never bought them a thing.

It would be a dream come true.

Times two.

That'd be back-to-back seasons missing the playoffs, on top of after spending $1/2 Billion over an 8 year period on 3 players.

It really just boggles my mind that they continue to do this year in and year out. Considering their last run (1996-2000) was done with mostly home grown talent. The core guys (Jeter, Bernie, Pettitte, Rivera, Posada) were home grown and they just filled in with guys around them (Brosius, Knoblauch, O'Neill, Girardi, Chad Curtis, Tino,Duncan...etc) Good players, but not big time guys really.

Ever since their wild spending began (Mussina, Giambi, Johnson, Pavano, Damon...etc) they haven't won a series, and have been in "only" 2. Now who knows what will happen this year, maybe they win the World Series, maybe not. But clearly all of this crazy spending doesn't guarantee anything. I won't call them longshots either, but I'm also not giving them the AL East in January.

It really just boggles my mind that they continue to do this year in and year out. Considering their last run (1996-2000) was done with mostly home grown talent. The core guys (Jeter, Bernie, Pettitte, Rivera, Posada) were home grown and they just filled in with guys around them (Brosius, Knoblauch, O'Neill, Girardi, Chad Curtis, Tino,Duncan...etc) Good players, but not big time guys really.

Ever since their wild spending began (Mussina, Giambi, Johnson, Pavano, Damon...etc) they haven't won a series, and have been in "only" 2. Now who knows what will happen this year, maybe they win the World Series, maybe not. But clearly all of this crazy spending doesn't guarantee anything. I won't call them longshots either, but I'm also not giving them the AL East in January.

It shouldn't really boggle your mind. Since 2001 they've made the post-season every year except one. That gives them a great shot to win a title. For various reasons they haven't gotten it done but since a hot team can take over a post-season (especially if they're pitching well) I think they've been doing just fine.

It's not fair to judge a team's success based on rings. If they can consistently make the post-season, they're doing something right.

It shouldn't really boggle your mind. Since 2001 they've made the post-season every year except one. That gives them a great shot to win a title. For various reasons they haven't gotten it done but since a hot team can take over a post-season (especially if they're pitching well) I think they've been doing just fine.

It's not fair to judge a team's success based on rings. If they can consistently make the post-season, they're doing something right.

I agree, but the Yankees don't care about just making the playoffs. That's not enough for them. For them it is about winning Series. My point is that if they'd have followed their own model from '96-2000, maybe they would've won a Series, who knows.

I agree, but the Yankees don't care about just making the playoffs. That's not enough for them. For them it is about winning Series. My point is that if they'd have followed their own model from '96-2000, maybe they would've won a Series, who knows.

I think the Red Sox will miss the postseason this year. It'll be the Yanks and Rays in some order of the division winner and wild card.

I think the voices within the Yankees organization that advocate building with home grown talent won out a year ago. Hence the decision not to package Phil Hughes with Melky Cabrera to the Twins for Johan Santana.

At least one of the Steinbrenner kids made it clear that it's not what he would have done, but he deferred to the baseball people.

After shelling out $300 million to bring A-Rod back after announcing he'd severed his ties with the club, then gently nudging Joe Torre to the exit in favor of a guy (Joe Girardi) who got very mixed reviews in their clubhouse & missing the playoffs for the first time since 1993 -- it seems the other voices among the Yankees brass are getting their way this time. Spend, spend, spend and let the future be damned.

It's shaping up to be a great illustration of the old adage about houses divided being unable to stand. After all the misery dished out by the pinstriped creeps in the last 15 years, I personally can't wait to witness the dynasty crumbling.

It's hard for me to imagine this Yankee team winning less than about 85 games. Sure, they have some weaknesses on defense, but they'll score 850 or more runs. And their pitching wasn't bad last year and they added Burnett and Sabathia to that. If some of the young kids who struggled last year come through they could win 100. Actually, I wouldn't bet against them winning 95 or 100 even if we never hear from Hughes and Kennedy again.

Remember, their payroll isn't up much from last year so with their new Fort Knox Stadium coming on line to print money they have plenty of room to pick up any and all Micheal Young-type contracts they want when an injury or a slump happens.

Now more than ever--if you're a fan of any team other than the Yankee$--they're a team to avoid like the plague if you're seeking entertaining, well-played baseball.

Now more than ever, Yankee$ Effin' Baseball is devolving into MLB's version of beer league softball...where if you can win 12-11 in under five hours, you've done a fine day's work.

I'll be in my seat on Opening Day, but otherwise, I'll be avoiding the toxic swill pouring out of the Bronx on the endle$$ river of ca$h they generate up there.

By the way, the Phillies were the third oldest team last season and the Sox right behind them. Just in case the issue of age comes up.

Not sure what formula they used to calculate your figures, but I'd hardly call the Phillies old...outside of Jamie Moyer, of course.

Of Philadelphia's most common starting eight, only Pedro Feliz and Pat Burrell were even 30 last year. Howard, Utley & Rollins were all under 30.

Outside of Moyer, none of their 11 most used pitchers was over 32, and Philly had pitchers aged 27 or below start 110 games last year.

Not sure what formula they used to calculate your figures, but I'd hardly call the Phillies old...outside of Jamie Moyer, of course.

Of Philadelphia's most common starting eight, only Pedro Feliz and Pat Burrell were even 30 last year. Howard, Utley & Rollins were all under 30.

Outside of Moyer, none of their 11 most used pitchers was over 32, and Philly had pitchers aged 27 or below start 110 games last year.

Third "Oldest" team is what I said and the "formula", however easy, came from ESPN. I suppose MLB should take back the rings they gave the players that you didn't mention?

Archived