Team Speed

emmett16

We've talked a good bit about what this regime looks for in players, but one thing I think has been a little overlooked is team speed.  For a team that is trying to live in the margins and with a variety of new rules coming into play, speed has never been more important.  Let's take a look where we are and where we are going.

I pulled all info from Baseball Savant sprint speed stats measuring (ft sec) & here is how we stack up against the league (min 50 chances).  For reference league avg. sprint speed is 27.0 and the fasted in the league is Bobby Witt Jr. @ 30.4.   Here is the projected opening day line up and how they compare the fastest at their position:

C - 10th of 50 (27.2/28.8) 

1B- 9th of 44 (27.5/29.0)

2B- 43rd of 53 (26.8/29.6)

SS - 3rd of 38 (30.1/30.4)

3B - 1st  of 45 (29.1/29.1)

28th of 45 (26.7/29.1)

LF - 24th of 49 (27.8/30.7)

CF - 11th of 50 (29.4/30.4)

28th of 50 (28.4/30.4)

RF - 32nd of 42 (27.0/30.1)

38th of 42 (26.4/30.1)

It's interesting that the positions they are actively trying to upgrade are the slowest.  The internal replacements for all those positions are all players with above average speed.  The majority of the players drafted last year have plus speed.  I was surprised to see that Frazier & Urias were the only players (besides Santander) below league average.  I was also surprised to see that Hays isn't much faster than Mountcastle.   Overall, we have a very fast team and it looks like that will only improve throughout the season.  

• Upvote 2