Reed Garrett

Sports Guy

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Garrett?   Based on what?   You’d laugh at someone who posted something like that.  Normally.    

Based on the idea that the depth in the pen isn’t that good. 

We will be without at least and maybe 2 back end guys.  We don’t have many options. If this guy is looking good, has a unique arm slot, etc…he has a real chance to at least make the team early.

The walks are a real issue though. Big walk totals even in Japan. 

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Maybe he’s the 2023 Austin Voth, a guy the Nats couldn’t unlock but we can.  Or maybe he’s a guy who looked good throwing a bullpen session one day and will never be heard from.   

Right. He’s a reliever. He can be garbage or could be very good. Walks have been the issue. If it’s something that can be fixed, maybe there is something there.

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Did he not have electric stuff prior to age 30? And now he magically has electric stuff? 

Interestingly, his K rate was very mediocre in college and his first few years in the minors, and has been increasing pretty steadily the last 5-6 years.   

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Based on the idea that the depth in the pen isn’t that good. 

We will be without at least and maybe 2 back end guys.  We don’t have many options. If this guy is looking good, has a unique arm slot, etc…he has a real chance to at least make the team early.

The walks are a real issue though. Big walk totals even in Japan. 

The point is that you mentioned Garret because of a note by a reporter on a bullpen session.  Pitchers definitely ahead of Garret for realistic chances of making the team.  Kreihbel, Vespi, Darwon Hernández, Baumann.   Pitchers who have a snowball’s chance in hell.  Wandisson Charles, Bazardo, Dowdy, and Garret.   The injury to Tate and Bautista’s injury give Politi a better chance of sticking but I think he’s going to have to be lights out to do it.   He’s not worth the roster inflexibility unless he is more than the 12th or 13th man in the bullpen.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The point is that you mentioned Garret because of a note by a reporter on a bullpen session.  Pitchers definitely ahead of Garret for realistic chances of making the team.  Kreihbel, Vespi, Darwon Hernández, Baumann.   Pitchers who have a snowball’s chance in hell.  Wandisson Charles, Bazardo, Dowdy, and Garret.   The injury to Tate and Bautista’s injury give Politi a better chance of sticking but I think he’s going to have to be lights out to do it.   He’s not worth the roster inflexibility unless he is more than the 12th or 13th man in the bullpen.

Actually, Jones’ comment is more eye raising to me. I don’t care why Connolly thinks.

None of those guys you mentioned are very good(although I want to see Baumann moved to the pen permanently and see what he can be there). So yes, the possibility exists.

Edited by Sports Guy