Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

I believe there is somewhere, but basic yardstick for '23 Holliday is the longer league average pitchers wherever he is can't get him out, the better it is for us.

Regular season has what about 10 more weeks for him to keep posting 180 wRC+'s or whatever it is today.    Leagues probably shouldn't hold Bats 180 wRC'ing more than 6-8 weeks.

9 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

The improved talent has to punch him in the mouth at some point, right?

Well this should be that point. AA is arguably the most competitive level. One-trick pony players don't get past A-ball, and you don't have the guys at AAA who don't care about their performance because they're working on one specific thing or are just waiting until they get a taxi ride back up.

But in the end, even AA is full of guys who either don't have the makings or haven't yet put it together, and some players are special enough that they're always going to be better than anyone outside of major league baseball.

25 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

IIRC Elias has stated he likes to push guys up a level near the end of the year so that they can get “punched in the mouth” and figure out what they need to work on in the offseason. If Holliday continues tearing through AA the way everybody expects him to, he’ll definitely see AAA before the end of the year. 

Havnt seen him punched in the mouth starting a new level yet :) 

24 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

The improved talent has to punch him in the mouth at some point, right?

I'm actually weirdly concerned that he's been so successful that he's not had the occasion to go through a real slump that he has to adjust to. 

He had sonething like a .630 OPS over four weeks in Aberdeen at one point.  

31 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

IIRC Elias has stated he likes to push guys up a level near the end of the year so that they can get “punched in the mouth” and figure out what they need to work on in the offseason. If Holliday continues tearing through AA the way everybody expects him to, he’ll definitely see AAA before the end of the year. 

I don’t necessarily expect him to tear through AA.  He’s off to a really good start there in five games, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll tear through the league.  I hope he will, but I try not to prejudge how top prosoects will progress at each level.  We’ve seen plenty of top guys have a hiccup somewhere.   

I do think Elias will consider the fatigue factor when deciding whether to move Holliday to AAA at year end.  He’s playing a far longer season than he’s ever played in his life.  And, it depends a little on where Elias wants Holliday to start in 2024.   

Listening to Jackson on 105.7 the fan.   Jackson says that having the chance to grow up in MLB in the dugouts has made adapting to the minors easy.  

He says he is not surprised by his success.  That he trains hard and he does not train to get out.  LOL  

He says he sees the ball better in Bowie than Aberdeen.  Says everything is easier than he expected.  

His family is coming in to town to be with him some.  LIkes to watch tv and play video games.  

Watches the Orioles as much as possible.  He is texting Cowser.  He doesnt even have a computer.  LOL 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1