Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

45 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

But I always remember Machado.  

Machado was promoted because our starting 3rd basemen at the time was Wilson Betemit, who may have been the worst defensive player at that position since Floyd Rayford in the mid '80s. There's nothing like that kind of black hole at any of our infield spots right now, and unless a meteor lands on Camden Yards I doubt there will be any in the near future. As good as Holliday looks to be our major league club is fine without him, for now. 

• Upvote 3

We went and yeah, it was a soft 3-for-4.

Weird game, the only 2 solid hits occurred on the game's first two pitches by Akron's guy in the bottom of the 1st - otherwise it was almost a double no-hitter.     Akron's 1 hit was a LF bloop Rhodes got a glove on with a slide but couldn't quite hold.

Cook had the HR, Holliday lasered a real single on Nikhazy's 2nd pitch, but the next 2 hits were routine groundballs to shortstop and first base.    He hustled and first one the shortstop double clutched, second one AA reliever was slow getting over.     xwOBA would I believe regard them as easy 6-3 and 3-1 groundouts.    Didn't see anything in either play giving scorer latitude to assign an "error".

He did sign for nice 5 minute chunks both before and after the game - its not my thing but was nice to see some kids beaming "Got him".      Also some dorks with backpacks and notebooks, naturally.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Just Regular said:

We went and yeah, it was a soft 3-for-4.

Weird game, the only 2 solid hits occurred on the game's first two pitches by Akron's guy in the bottom of the 1st - otherwise it was almost a double no-hitter.     Akron's 1 hit was a LF bloop Rhodes got a glove on with a slide but couldn't quite hold.

Cook had the HR, Holliday lasered a real single on Nikhazy's 2nd pitch, but the next 2 hits were routine groundballs to shortstop and first base.    He hustled and first one the shortstop double clutched, second one AA reliever was slow getting over.     xwOBA would I believe regard them as easy 6-3 and 3-1 groundouts.    Didn't see anything in either play giving scorer latitude to assign an "error".

He did sign for nice 5 minute chunks both before and after the game - its not my thing but was nice to see some kids beaming "Got him".      Also some dorks with backpacks and notebooks, naturally.

My wife took my son and some of his friends yesterday.   Didn’t get the Holiday signature but had fun nonetheless.  Pretty brutal unis. I heard the circus “talent” was questionable at best Lol.  

15 minutes ago, 86this said:

Almost Barry Bonds level of respect after only 1 year after his draft year.  Wow.

I don't know, I'm guessing a lot of players get walked in that situation regardless of talent level.

Man on 3rd, 1 out, and on-deck a player who has racked up quite a few GIDP this year.

49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The O's should be able to elevate his swing path.

It would be interesting to know what their approach to him is.  I wonder if they've been mostly hands off because of the incredible success he's has so far - maybe hoping he might fail a little bit in AA to the point where they can make the case they should do some tweaking of his swing.  Or maybe they are doing some tweaking now and we don't see it yet.

1 hour ago, johnrambo said:

Holliday is a great talent. Although I do wonder if his high groundball rate will cap his ceiling. Projects to be a 15HR kind of guy unless he can start changing his launch angle. 

I’m not saying that you a wrong regarding his HR numbers. But the kid is such an elite hitter with bat to ball skills and swing decisions at the age of 19. If he is “only” a 15 homer guy that is okay with me as long as the other batting skills are elite. There is more than one way to skin a cat. How many homers does Arraez have? I think it’s 3 for the season and yet he is a great dominant player. The game is moving away from one dimensional/3 true outcome play IMO. The rule changes are designed to do that.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

I’m not saying that you a wrong regarding his HR numbers. But the kid is such an elite hitter with bat to ball skills and swing decisions at the age of 19. If he is “only” a 15 homer guy that is okay with me as long as the other batting skills are elite. There is more than one way to skin a cat. How many homers does Arraez have? I think it’s 3 for the season and yet he is a great dominant player. The game is moving away from one dimensional/3 true outcome play IMO. The rule changes are designed to do that.

It's a stretch to call Arraez great, outside of so far this year. He doesn't rack up a bunch of doubles and triples, much less home runs. He doesn't walk a ton. He doesn't steal bases. He's never driven in or scored a ton of runs. As far as I can tell, he's just ok on defense. All his value relies on him hitting singles, and you have to hit a lot of singles to be great based on that. He's pulled that off so far in 2023, but before this year he ranged from ok to good. Maybe he'll spend the rest of his prime hitting like Gwynn or Boggs, but that's a lot to ask. Holliday will have a much easier path towards being great if he continues to show that he has other ways to impact the game.

• Upvote 1