Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

26 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The average arm strength for major league SSs this year is 85 MPH (Mateo is at 85 this year). I don't have the numbers on Holliday, but the eye test tells me he's lower than that. Now can he have a quick release and be like Anthony Volpe who has been rated as an above average SS by every defensive metric despite having a well below average arm (81 MPH avg, 87.3 max), perhaps. 

As I've said, I will not discount him playing SS at the major league level since he has very good athleticism and quickness and at 6-0, 185, should not out grow the position. There are some hands things he needs to clean up, but so did Henderson his hands have gotten better with professional experience.

Urias is another example of a quick release guy though he doesn’t really play SS. 

31 minutes ago, Hallas said:

The average 3b arm is about the same as SS.  Right around 85-86 mph.

To be clear, we are talking about the max effort throws.  On an “average effort” throw, these guys are throwing about 70 mph.  And there are plays where they’re throwing significantly below that. 

For anyone wondering, the Tides announcer just said the plan tonight was to have Holliday play SS, Ortiz 2B and Norby LF, but Ortiz was a late scratch with a tight oblique. 

Holliday with a fielding error in the 4th and 0-2 at the plate this far. Groundout up the middle he was close to beating out in his 1st AB and a fly out to CF in his second. 

2nd fielding error. Routine grounder up the middle with a runner on 1st, I think he was hoping to pull off a Gunnar with a  6-3 double play, but he got ahead of himself, pulled up too quick and booted it. Bases ended up getting loaded but got out of it without giving up any runs. 

6 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

2nd fielding error. Routine grounder up the middle with a runner on 1st, I think he was hoping to pull off a Gunnar with a  6-3 double play, but he got ahead of himself, pulled up too quick and booted it. Bases ended up getting loaded but got out of it without giving up any runs. 

He's a bum. Hopefully we can trade him for a decent utility guy

• Haha 1