2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Santander isn't going to DH 162 games.

I totally agree.   I'm speaking specifically of this game.   I'd rather see Santander DHing and Stowers given a day in the OF.

Not trying to confuse things.    I think there is a way we can give Santander days "off" at DH, and I think that Stowers is a better alternative than Vavra.   I'm not sold on Stowers, but I'd like to see him getting some semi-regular playing time.  Obviously, Hyde does not share my view!  🙂

• Upvote 1

Just now, clapdiddy said:

I totally agree.   I'm speaking specifically of this game.   I'd rather see Santander DHing and Stowers given a day in the OF.

Not trying to confuse things.    I think there is a way we can give Santander days "off" at DH, and I think that Stowers is a better alternative than Vavra.   I'm not sold on Stowers, but I'd like to see him getting some semi-regular playing time.  Obviously, Hyde does not share my view!  🙂

I just think we have to accept that Vavra is ahead of Stowers in the pecking order.  Stowers is the 26th man.  And as long as Hays, Mullins, and Santander keep playing well then his playing time will be limited.

People might not like it.  People might not agree.  But that's the way it is.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Pickles said:

No but his percentage of playing time should be very high between DH and first and so far, that isn’t the case. They clearly view him as an OFer still and whole I’m ok with that scenario at times, it shouldn’t be the full time thought.

5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I don't think any of us have ever advocated that, we just want Stowers to get a legit shot before the next wave comes. It could easily be a 50-50 for both of them in RF. Many have already concluded that Stowers doesn't provide adequate defense but seem to forget that most of our Mil OFs have an adjustment period getting used to 2nd deck stadiums and the various configurations around the ML parks. Stowers wasn't regarded as a poor COF in the minors. Santander's bat is his primary benefit and he has been injury prone and his speed is slipping. DH 50% of the time increases the chance to keep him healthy and his bat in the lineup.

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I just think we have to accept that Vavra is ahead of Stowers in the pecking order.  Stowers is the 26th man.  And as long as Hays, Mullins, and Santander keep playing well then his playing time will be limited.

People might not like it.  People might not agree.  But that's the way it is.

I'm with you on Hays and Mullins but Santander hasn't played particularly well.  .638 OPS and pretty putrid in the outfield.  Also has played all 5 games. Giving him a day off today would've made sense.  But it is what it is.  

2 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

I don't think any of us have ever advocated that, we just want Stowers to get a legit shot before the next wave comes. It could easily be a 50-50 for both of them in RF. Many have already concluded that Stowers doesn't provide adequate defense but seem to forget that most of our Mil OFs have an adjustment period getting used to 2nd deck stadiums and the various configurations around the ML parks. Stowers wasn't regarded as a poor COF in the minors. Santander's bat is his primary benefit and he has been injury prone and his speed is slipping. DH 50% of the time increases the chance to keep him healthy and his bat in the lineup.

Exactly.   I'm not saying that I want Stowers playing 150 games.   I just want to see if the guy can be productive.  Like you say, if the "next wave" is ready, Stowers could be a guy you could deal if he's got a decent MLB track record.  Or, he could be a guy you keep and deal from the "next wave".   

Well the key here is we now know how they used Stowers last year was not an aberration. they truly look at him a 5th OF/DH 26th man type. I'm just going to say that I disagree. 

Really poor job by Elias to not move Stowers this offseason if this is how they view him. I can guarantee there are other organizations that would be happy to have him starting. 

Clearly I disagree with their analysis of him as a player but judging by how they evaluate him, not sure why you keep him on the team since he doesn't bring enough versatility to be a 26th man.

Poor Kyle. I still believe in you Kyle, no matter what Sig's computer lineup says.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, AnythingO's said:

Maybe this is on Hyder???????

I truly think the only thing Hyde has to do with the lineup is to let them know if someone is banged up or needs a day off. I think other than that it comes designed including who should pitch to who in what inning late in games. 

Managers nowadays are more about keeping a clubhouse good and making a few managerial decisions during a game. With as many coaches as they have including strategy coaches, I feel like everything is basically given to him. 

I think Stowers needs to be given regular at bats to see what he can do. If they don't intend to do that here, why have him here? Send him down and bring up someone with more versatility. McKenna should not have more PA than Stowers right now. We know what McKenna is, a defensive replacement who runs well and can hit lefties. Hyde loves to give players one day off a week. Let Stowers spell them. He can spell Hays one day, Santander another, play another day when Mullins gets a day off, DH a day, etc... 3-4 starts a week should be doable, and especially against tough righties where you are trying to get as many lefties in as possible. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

If Kyle Stowers was a big league regular he would be in the lineup. It’s that easy. 

I don’t think it’s that simple but I do have my doubts about Stowers.   He seems to have holes in his swing and chases a bit much.    I do question having him on the team in his current limited role.

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I don’t think it’s that simple but I do have my doubts about Stowers.   He seems to have holes in his swing and chases a bit much.    I do question having him on the team in his current limited role.

Agree with this opinion but he has a history of high damage to contact, maybe Westburg as well. I just want him to get a legit shot before he is overtaken by Cowser, Kjerstad, with Beavers, Fabian, maybe Mayo after that. Maybe only 1-2 of the 6 will be a productive MLB regular at COF, maybe 1 will be a 1B/DH. Two out of 6 would be like finding gold in your backyard. Maybe ME-Sig already have already used the sorting hat to make those decisions. I have my doubts, given the lack of direction with Vavra, Westberg, Ortiz, Norby in the signing of "he who must not be named". Then there is Gunna and the 2 GGs but I digress. I want their performance to dictate the sorting, that's all.

Edited by AnythingO's
typo