Colton Cowser 2023

DirtyBird

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

Gillaspie, Krehbiel, Zimmerman… need I go on?

None of them is projected to have anywhere close to the future he does in terms of being a long term contributor.

I agree with your long term observation. But I'm not sure Elias is going to DFA any of those pitchers, each of which is likely to eat some innings this season. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Or Stowers?

(ducks)

I cant imagine a third round pick that has gotten very limited chances to play in the Majors would be DFA'd this early in his career.  You cant say Stowers failed in his time in Baltimore.   He rode the bench mostly.  I could see McKenna being shopped or DFA'd.  

10 minutes ago, interloper said:

Nah. You can still put Johnson the 60-day. 

I’m not saying I would DFA Vavra but I don’t think it would surprising if they do.

There are other moves to make first and there is some chance he would get claimed but I could see them thinking he isn’t going anywhere and even if he does, big deal.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not saying I would DFA Vavra but I don’t think it would surprising if they do.

There are other moves to make first and there is some chance he would get claimed but I could see them thinking he isn’t going anywhere and even if he does, big deal.

Yeah fair enough, feels like one of those slightly eyebrow-raising Elias moves that he surprises us with every now and then. 

Vavra does possess something of an Elias kryptonite though... he bats left-handed and plays multiple positions. 

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

I agree with your long term observation. But I'm not sure Elias is going to DFA any of those pitchers, each of which is likely to eat some innings this season. 

None of them is anything special and is easily replaceable. At some point a decision has to be made this season regarding Cowser, Ortiz, and Westburg. It would be irresponsible at best and organizational malpractice at worst, to leave them down in AAA all season, to protect any of those mediocre pitchers. 

Cowser needs to take Hays spot, not McKenna's.  I don't see Elias bringing up Cowser to sit the bench and play a couple of days a week.  Will Elias trade Hays for whatever he can get even if it is a major disappointment when he deems Cowser is ready?  I know Elias is all about maximizing assets, but what if Cowser playing most of the season in Baltimore is the difference between making the playoffs and coming up just short?

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Cowser needs to take Hays spot, not McKenna's.  I don't see Elias bringing up Cowser to sit the bench and play a couple of days a week.  Will Elias trade Hays for whatever he can get even if it is a major disappointment when he deems Cowser is ready?  I know Elias is all about maximizing assets, but what if Cowser playing most of the season in Baltimore is the difference between making the playoffs and coming up just short?

I agree that Cowser shouldn’t come up to take McKenna’s role, but he should replace McKenna on the roster.  If Cowser comes up, the starting outfield should be Cowser/Mullins/Hays, w/ Santander  at DH.  Then, have Frasier and Santander as back-up OF.  

• Upvote 1

I know you all already know all this, but it was still cool reading it in the morning's Tides Notes:

Holy Cowser: Extending his on-base streak to 20 games tonight was Colton Cowser, where he went 3-for-6 with two runs, two doubles, four RBI and a hit-by-pitch...he currently owns the longest on-base streak in the International League...in that span (since April 5), he’s hitting .351 (26-for-74) with 25 runs, five doubles, a triple, four home runs, 17 RBI, 18 walks and a hit-by-pitch...Cowser leads the International League in runs (28)...his 28 runs in April is the most all-time in a calender month as an Orioles affiliate, topping Brett Wallace (May, 2014).

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1