Heston Kjerstad 2023

Three Run Homer

I'm interested to see if this hot spring translates to the cold weather in the Eastern League once the season starts. Kjerstad's .381/.409/.810/1.219 slash line in 44 PAs, including the 4 bombs certainly is fun to watch, but the 11 K to 2 BB ratio is something to keep an eye on as the season starts up. Is he going to be a left-handed version of Ryan Mountcastle or will he settle in more once the season starts. Going to be fun to follow and watch for sure though.

• Upvote 2

.409 - .381 = .028

Now we are dealing with the proverbial SSS but that's not much of a differential. 

Also 11/44 is 25% strikeout rate. If he maintains that and an ISO = .429 he's going to be alright. But is that sustainable?

My guess is he's on a serious heater. But maybe he's not. It should be fun to watch. He's a player who is easy to root for.

2 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

.409 - .381 = .028

Now we are dealing with the proverbial SSS but that's not much of a differential. 

Also 11/44 is 25% strikeout rate. If he maintains that and an ISO = .429 he's going to be alright. But is that sustainable?

My guess is he's on a serious heater. But maybe he's not. It should be fun to watch. He's a player who is easy to root for.

Well of course he’s on a serious heater.  But at least there are signs that AA pitching won’t overwhelm him.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well of course he’s on a serious heater.  But at least there are signs that AA pitching won’t overwhelm him.  

I think my point is more along the lines of what will we see when the Heater ends? 

He is apparently healthy.

He was remarkably effective in the AFL.

He was a very well respected prospect when he was drafted. 

Does his iso indicate an MLB caliber power bat?

Does his BB/K ratio indicate a Sam Horn type of career? 

I really don't know what to think. Do you @Frobby?

On 3/23/2023 at 11:02 AM, Tony-OH said:

I'm interested to see if this hot spring translates to the cold weather in the Eastern League once the season starts. Kjerstad's .381/.409/.810/1.219 slash line in 44 PAs, including the 4 bombs certainly is fun to watch, but the 11 K to 2 BB ratio is something to keep an eye on as the season starts up. Is he going to be a left-handed version of Ryan Mountcastle or will he settle in more once the season starts. Going to be fun to follow and watch for sure though.

Mountcastle wouldn't be the worst outcome in the world, for sure. He rakes. Just isn't a great OBP guy. Plus being a LHH, that will play up in Baltimore.

But yeah, the OBP is something to watch. I suspect he won't have walk numbers as low as Mountcastle.

5 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Mountcastle wouldn't be the worst outcome in the world, for sure. He rakes. Just isn't a great OBP guy. Plus being a LHH, that will play up in Baltimore.

But yeah, the OBP is something to watch. I suspect he won't have walk numbers as low as Mountcastle.

Safe bet.  Very few do. 

8 hours ago, connja said:

Looks like he's playing 1B in minor league camp.  Be a great way to find our LH hitting 1B.  

That's great to see!  Staff seeing big picture org needs?  Reallocating org depth toward a thin position?  A power LHH player who can play RF and 1B?  Maybe an indicator that Kjerstad's on a fast-track this season?  Yes, please, for all of those!  

Personally, I like trying Kjerstad at 1B more than Mayo.  It'll still showcase Mayo's arm.

• Upvote 1