Grayson Rodriguez 2023

Just Regular

2 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Is he on the Taxi Squad? How many times can they option him this year? I wonder if he’s being recalled just to start tomorrow or if he is taking a spot in the rotation. 

He could be a MAJOR impact for them if he brings the pitch mix that got him back on track in Norfolk. 

If he takes someone’s spot, so be it. I did like the idea floated by @Frobby to rotate GrayRod though the current starters’ spots. Maybe they start him tomorrow also to push Wells back another day. He is a potential upgrade over both Irvin and Gibson. 

Poetically, I enjoy this announcement happening same hour of the Alcaraz-Djokovic Wimbledon finale.

At some point in his baseball life, Grayson Rodriguez will be able to outpitch Gerrit Cole and Clayton Kershaw....I just hope before he's 38 and they're 45 or 50.

I'm also going to guess not a coincidence this insertion point is Dodgers-Rays.

Edited by Just Regular

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I’m hoping for the version I saw on milb.tv two starts ago which is the best version I’ve ever seen.

I’m holding out hope that’s the new normal.  The talent is there - once he gets the confidence and believes, watch out. 

1 hour ago, RVAOsFan said:

I’m here for these types of answers. 

This makes sense. I would argue that Irvin has been better than Gibson the last few times through but I suppose GrayRod could potentially take either slot and it could be a big improvement should he continue to pitch as he has in Norfolk. 

I think the timing is also to get an idea of how aggressive they need to pursue a starter with the deadline approaching.  

1 hour ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Honest question: What do you realistically expect from him in his first start?

I say he goes 5 innings, gives up 2-3 runs and has 5 Ks. 

If he did that would you be disappointed?

Realistically?  CG SHO 😎

Unrealistically?  A no hitter.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t get having his first start after barely pitching for 2 weeks being at this level but I’m glad he’s back up.

Hard to keep him down after the last few outings. He did what he needed to do down there.  Now he needs to take the next step. 

Just now, emmett16 said:

Hard to keep him down after the last few outings. He did what he needed to do down there.  Now he needs to take the next step. 

No question but when he takes the mound tomorrow, he will have thrown 3 innings in about 2 weeks of real time. Rhythm and whatnot could definitely be off. I’m sure the rest is nice but there is some rust there.

Im just surprised they didn’t have his first start be in AAA and then bring him up.

No biggie in the grand scheme of things, just surprised that’s not how they did it.

2 hours ago, banks703 said:

I’m here for these types of answers. 

This makes sense. I would argue that Irvin has been better than Gibson the last few times through but I suppose GrayRod could potentially take either slot and it could be a big improvement should he continue to pitch as he has in Norfolk. 

I think the timing is also to get an idea of how aggressive they need to pursue a starter with the deadline approaching.  

Over their last five starts Irvin has pitched to a 3.62 ERA and Gibson to a 7.62 ERA, and that includes Gibson's 7 inning 3-hit, 11K outing.  Gibson has been pretty dreadful lately - the team has lost five of his last eight starts - so I agree, he should be the one to give way when GrayRod comes up IMO.

6 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Over their last five starts Irvin has pitched to a 3.62 ERA and Gibson to a 7.62 ERA, and that includes Gibson's 7 inning 3-hit, 11K outing.  Gibson has been pretty dreadful lately - the team has lost five of his last eight starts - so I agree, he should be the one to give way when GrayRod comes up IMO.

I figured it was pretty clear between the two of them but did not expect the gap to be so wide. Interesting. 

I think this is who Kyle Gibson is at this point in his career. Thankfully this should be the last year (for a while) that the O’s have to run guys like him out there to start games.

I would continue to use Irvin in the rotation until he pitches himself out of it but maybe they feel that Gibson doesn’t fit in the pen and the overall net gain would be worse keeping Irvin in the rotation. They’re at a really great place right now where they can be more selective with the roster and depth chart though I’m not confident that they’ll cut bait on Gibson if he continues to struggle… not until it gets really bad. He’s still eating innings but they need him to be better.