Grayson Rodriguez 2023

Just Regular

In its 7/24 update Pitcher List moved him up to #51.     I'm curious to see what they'll have in next week's update after what he put on tape last night.

Baseball Trade Values a few days ago had Grayson as about a Top 75 MLB-wide trade asset - the top batch of Arms was Strider, Webb, McClanahan, Kirby, Alcantara.

Would you trade Grayson for Webb today before seeing next week's Gausman game?

9 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Realistically, you're not going to get anything worth his 23 year old arm.  I think he's our stud going forward.  If we get one more like him we're going to be in great shape the next couple of years.  

The odds of us reaching a multi-World Series run, dynasty like/Astros ceiling go up if he can become a pitcher who can go toe to toe with the top aces in the game. 

I don’t think we need or that it is very realistic that we find another talent like him (there are too many guys who have pitches speeds/shapes varying from 100- 79), but if we were willing to sign/trade for another pitcher who could be an excellent compliment to form a dynamic 1-2 punch I think we would be on our way. 

If Grayson is a true #1, plus you had a true #2, and we could slot Bradish as #3, given the talent that we have on the position side of things, we could likely head into any series for the next few years and be favorites in the Fall.

Can anyone tell if he changed his motion when he as sent down as some speculated after the injury last year he might have changed something like arm slot? I'm not educated enough to tell those things?

Really happy the way he has thrown since coming back, that's why I asked if he changed anything?

4 minutes ago, baws22489 said:

Can anyone tell if he changed his motion when he as sent down as some speculated after the injury last year he might have changed something like arm slot? I'm not educated enough to tell those things?

Really happy the way he has thrown since coming back, that's why I asked if he changed anything?

Arm slot changed a hair and he started to fill up the zone.  I imagine the conversation went something like this “Grayson, you are filthy.  Fill up the dang zone and stop trying to be cute.”

• Upvote 2

Pros: Electric through 5. I believe 68 pitches. 2ish times through the lineup. He’s got heart and some grit.

Cons: Looked like the pre-demotion GR in the 6th and the 3rd time through the lineup. 

Overall, can’t be mad at him tiring. That was a playoff type game.  An electric 5 IP is pretty much what most SP do in the playoffs anyway nowadays. 

4 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Was it you who told me a fastball wasn't enough.  If it wasn't you I apologize.

It was me and I stand by my statement. His FB/CH combo is very effective. He threw enough SL and an occasional cutter to keep the Yankee$ off the FB. He also located the FB extremely well. Triple digit FB with location tends to be an effective pitch. Overall stellar outing. One to dream on. Still waiting for a consistent breaking pitch to emerge. I think he's close with the SL.

4 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

It was me and I stand by my statement. His FB/CH combo is very effective. He threw enough SL and an occasional cutter to keep the Yankee$ off the FB. He also located the FB extremely well. Triple digit FB with location tends to be an effective pitch. Overall stellar outing. One to dream on. Still waiting for a consistent breaking pitch to emerge. I think he's close with the SL.

He threw his slider for a strike much more last night than I had seen, which I think was an important key. Especially for strike 1. Completely changes the at bat because he then has FB/CU he can use and it really puts the hitters in a disadvantage 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Pros: Electric through 5. I believe 68 pitches. 2ish times through the lineup. He’s got heart and some grit.

Cons: Looked like the pre-demotion GR in the 6th and the 3rd time through the lineup. 

Overall, can’t be mad at him tiring. That was a playoff type game.  An electric 5 IP is pretty much what most SP do in the playoffs anyway nowadays. 

In hindsight the Judge pitch around(s) worked, but I’d like to see him attack more.  It seems when he pitches around a feared batter it throws him off.  I’d like to see him go after everyone just about the same.  He was painting all night except against judge and then the batters immediately after.  It looks like the pitch arounds throw off his mechanics a hair.  

23 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I've heard Jim Palmer say it 100 times, that Robin Roberts told him "a fastball is all you need and an occasional change-up".