Impressions after a week of games

wildcard

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Last night's lineup was depressing.

Yep..and while it’s “just spring training”, the depressing part is that lineup could actually occur this year and several times. Most of those guys have no business being on this team with the amount of BETTER talent/players we have.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep..and while it’s “just spring training”, the depressing part is that lineup could actually occur this year and several times. Most of those guys have no business being on this team with the amount of BETTER talent/players we have.

I have thought about that a lot in the last week. It's one of those situations where you have to trust that Hyde and Elias know what they're doing, I guess.

I'm going to the game next Wednesday. If I'm subjected to Frazier, Mazara, Cordero, etc... I'll be annoyed. But at least I'll be watching baseball in the sun. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I have thought about that a lot in the last week. It's one of those situations where you have to trust that Hyde and Elias know what they're doing, I guess.

I'm going to the game next Wednesday. If I'm subjected to Frazier, Mazara, Cordero, etc... I'll be annoyed. But at least I'll be watching baseball in the sun. 

..and you won’t be in Maryland.  Things could be worse.

• Upvote 1

I’m getting a very good feeling about Stowers, Ortiz, and Vavra.   That’s not a knock on Westburg, Kjerstad, etc.  I just mean that I think all three I mentioned look very good.   Ortiz has hit the ball hard at least 4 times with no strikeouts in 9 AB and had a very strong AB against Bednar, the Pirates closer.   Vavra proved he could have good AB’s last year.   He hit for average and extra base power (not in homers) in the minors.  We didn’t see that hitter last year.  There was a note that he worked on getting stronger this off-season.  Or maybe he’s just more confident.  Either way, he looks good.   Stowers just seems better.   Maybe a little more under control with his swing.  I’m not sure but the dude hits the ball hard and goes oppo too.   Just a matter of time before they start going over the fence.   I do think Ortiz is ready NOW.   Elias said he still has stuff to work on.  Haha.  So does Jorge Mateo.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This is not unusual for the first week of ST games.   There will  be cuts coming in the near future.

Its so obvious that Hyde does not care about winning at this point.   He will replace a  good hitter with a minor leaguer in the 4th inning with runners on base.

• Confused 1

The only real impression anyone should have after one ST week is that it’s too early to form an impression. 

that being said, fun to see so much young talent in camp now, and a lot of them have come in playing well from the start.