Another thing Adley apparently excels at

Just Regular

He got featured as the poster child for Baseball Savant's unveiling of Blocks Above Average for catchers.

https://www.mlb.com/news/adley-rutschman-is-best-blocking-catcher-in-mlb

They use a Pedro Severino contrast - Adley's almost 0.5 per game better.   80 bases a year if a guy on 1st doesn't get to second - that's I guess kind of like a Tim Raines SB season.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Using the run value of stolen bases as an analog (which isn't entirely accurate, because no one steals home, and wild pitches frequently allow batters to score) the difference between Severino and Rutschman just in terms of blocking the plate is around 1.5 wins.  If someone knows the run value of a wild pitch I'd like to know, because the actual value is likely higher than this.

"Wynns, Anthony Bemboom and Chance Sisco were various flavors of adequate. Chirinos was good. But Severino, who was outrighted following 2021 and caught just four times for Milwaukee in 2022, actually rates 122nd of 122 qualified catchers over the last three years. It's quite literally going from worst to best."

Let's peel this onion a bit. While we know how good Rutschman is, and this new metric (which I'm happy to see) show that, it does draw into question the Orioles decision to go with Severino for so long. Now I guess you could say that Elias was "trying to lose while not 100% looking like he was trying to lose" which made Severino and his decent bat and arm give the appearance he was a major league catcher. 

Now, I will say that Severino seemed to make a lot of his miscues when he wasn't focused (blow outs one way or the other), but man, it makes you wonder if this was a case of the Orioles not realizing how bad Severino was, or not caring.

Either way, it's nice to see Rutschman quantifiably good at one more aspect of defense. The bad news, McCann was -6 last year.

By the way, this is a great article.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

"Wynns, Anthony Bemboom and Chance Sisco were various flavors of adequate. Chirinos was good. But Severino, who was outrighted following 2021 and caught just four times for Milwaukee in 2022, actually rates 122nd of 122 qualified catchers over the last three years. It's quite literally going from worst to best."

Let's peel this onion a bit. While we know how good Rutschman is, and this new metric (which I'm happy to see) show that, it does draw into question the Orioles decision to go with Severino for so long. Now I guess you could say that Elias was "trying to lose while not 100% looking like he was trying to lose" which made Severino and his decent bat and arm give the appearance he was a major league catcher. 

Now, I will say that Severino seemed to make a lot of his miscues when he wasn't focused (blow outs one way or the other), but man, it makes you wonder if this was a case of the Orioles not realizing how bad Severino was, or not caring.

Either way, it's nice to see Rutschman quantifiably good at one more aspect of defense.

By the way, this is a great article.

It really is a great article.  I especially liked this:

"Look at where Orioles pitches threw their breaking balls with runners in scoring position to Rutschman as compared to Chirinos. Again, it’s not quite like Chirinos was poor at this, but the difference between “middle of the zone” and “bottom or below the zone” is quite noticeable."

I feel like being able to throw a curve outside of the zone with runners on is huge not just for pitchers confidence but also for bat to ball contact rate.  

• Upvote 1

I’m pretty sure Posey won an MVP in his 3rd season, but he also won the batting title that year. Munson, Pudge, and Mauer are the only AL catchers that have one the MVP in 50 years. Adley doesn’t have crazy odds this year. +2500. If we make the playoffs, he’s got a good chance to be top 5 or higher. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Severino quite literally contributed towards putting the Orioles in a position to draft Jackson Holliday. Thanks, Pedro!

• Upvote 2

Lew Ford is Mother Teresa in comparison to Severino. I heard Severino once tried to burn down the Babe Ruth museum, said the Wire was a terrible show, and claimed dungenous crabs from Oregon were far superior to Maryland blue crabs all before breakfast. Then, purposely blew Means perfect game. Afterwards, he celebrated by clubbing baby seals and saying Francis Scott Key wasn’t even American. 
The gull to even mention his name on this board!