Austin Hays 2023

Frobby

12 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I did not see this coming from Hays. I was ready to trade him at a discount to make room for Cowser. Definitely got this one wrong. Will be interesting how Elias plays Hays/Santander as Cowser and Kjerstad arrive. 

I’m a huge Hays fan, but two good months doesn’t prove you wrong.  It’s just a hopeful sign that you were wrong.  

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I did not see this coming from Hays. I was ready to trade him at a discount to make room for Cowser. Definitely got this one wrong. Will be interesting how Elias plays Hays/Santander as Cowser and Kjerstad arrive. 

Hays is fine where he is or he can move to RF. Cowser can take LF. Kjerstad can man DH/1B. We can move Santander in the off-season (depending on how this season ends up for him). If he has no trade value, we can just DFA him.

14 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Hays is fine where he is or he can move to RF. Cowser can take LF. Kjerstad can man DH/1B. We can move Santander in the off-season (depending on how this season ends up for him). If he has no trade value, we can just DFA him.

Are you seriously suggesting Santander is a DFA possibility? There is a good thing there isn't drug testing for posting on a message board.

1 minute ago, accinfo said:

Are you seriously suggesting Santander is a DFA possibility? There is a good thing there isn't drug testing for posting on a message board.

I think by DFA they mean non-tender.

He's making 7.4M now, how much is he worth to the O's in 2024 given the prospects in the farm system?

15 minutes ago, accinfo said:

Did you read the first part of the message where I said that we could look to trade him if he has value?

I believe that he is an FA after next season (1 more year on the contract). I hope that we can get something for him, probably won’t be that much though.

By the way, I’ve never touched a drug a day in my life. So you might be a little off there in the assessment.

Great to see him stay healthy.

He’s hitting better right now than last year but his OPS was over 800 at the end of June last year and he ended up being only slightly more valuable than McKenna is far more at bats and games.

It’s a long season and his history isn’t great over a full season for him.

The talent is certainly there and lots of guys have career years around his age, so let’s hope 2023 is that for him.

• Upvote 1