Westburg's EVs

Tony-OH

Just now, Sports Guy said:

If he was making 3M or less, I would agree with you.

But 8M, a number that represents 12% of our payroll?  He’s getting significant chances.

And I’ll say this again..he may bounce back with the bat a little and his glove may be solid and he may be a 2 WAR guy this year. Personally, his performance isn’t at the top or even near the top of my list of why I don’t want him.

It’s just a horrible move and thought process across the board. It makes zero sense and I can’t see anything to justify the move, even if he plays better than expected.

The money shouldn’t matter. That's a sunk cost. If we are making decisions based on $8 million for one year, someone should be fired. 

9 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

The money shouldn’t matter. That's a sunk cost. If we are making decisions based on $8 million for one year, someone should be fired. 

The whole point is that it didn't have to be a sunk cost .

I see no reason to think that a guy making 10 times of what Odor made would have a shorter leash. Westburg could have been up towards the end of last season to replace Odor. For that matter, Vavra could replaced him.

Three quarters of the IF is where the MiL's has the most strength. That's why spending money on a tight budget for a mediocre player matters to most of us.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

I can’t wait until we can stop hearing all the whining about how bad the signing of Frazier was. I’m so tired of it. Enough already, it’s so annoying. It’s just a one year deal, it’s not that big a deal.  I’d be willing to bet a lot of money that we’ll see Westburg in the majors at some point this season, regardless of what happens with Frazier. 

While we're at it, maybe we should also stop saying things like "just a one year deal" as if players have unlimited time in their prime, development curves don't matter, and teams don't need to put the best players at their disposal in the lineup.  Even though it's "not that big a deal" it's nonetheless a dumb deal that addresses a problem that didn't exist in the first place.  No doubt the subject will be revisited many times between now and October.

4 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

The whole point is that it didn't have to be a sunk cost .

I see no reason to think that a guy making 10 times of what Odor made would have a shorter leash. Westburg could have been up towards the end of last season to replace Odor. For that matter, Vavra could replaced him.

Three quarters of the IF is where the MiL's has the most strength. That's why spending money on a tight budget for a mediocre player matters to most of us.

I think he has a shorter leash because I think we are going to be trying to compete on a different level than we did last year and because there are more options to replace him than there were for Odor last year. Last year, I don’t think we were that serious about competing and it was more to see what we have in players. I think this year will be somewhat similar in that we are still trying to see what we have, but we are going to be aiming to make the playoffs and take another step towards being real competitors.

I also don’t think the budget is as tight as fans think. We just weren’t able to get deals done that made sense to the front office. We’ll see next year, but I think we take another step and spend a little more, whether it be in free agency or locking up our own guys. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 24fps said:

No doubt the subject will be revisited many times between now and October.

Honestly Frazier could be an all star and people will still be saying the logic of the signing was flawed.  Well, yes it was, but at this point I’m just hoping for Frazier to be the best version of himself.  And for Westburg to continue to make a strong case.  

• Upvote 1

I believe the FO (ME) is competent but Davis was a sunk cost who got way too many opportunities, Odor was a ML minimum and got way too many opportunities. Now we have the $8 M man and I'm sure he will get too many opportunities. Why? I have no idea. The thought process has repeated itself though. The left hand fascination is probably ME but Hyde fills out the lineup card. Stowers hits lefties well but wasn't used against them much last year, again probably  a Hyde decision. I am pretty sure that Frazier will get many more chances than the majority of folks here would like.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly Frazier could be an all star and people will still be saying the logic of the signing was flawed.  Well, yes it was, but at this point I’m just hoping for Frazier to be the best version of himself.  And for Westburg to continue to make a strong case.  

What else can you do after the fact but hope for the best outcome?  But process matters.  Elias and Sig have said as much and I doubt that anyone else in a decision making capacity with the Orioles would dispute that.  So I need the process on this one to be explained to me.  Meanwhile, are Urias and Vavra still looking for something to do?  Maybe Urias could go over to the right side and stand there with his Gold Glove and something good might happen.

1 minute ago, AnythingO's said:

I believe the FO (ME) is competent but Davis was a sunk cost who got way too many opportunities, Odor was a ML minimum and got way too many opportunities. Now we have the $8 M man and I'm sure he will get too many opportunities. Why? I have no idea. The thought process has repeated itself though. The left hand fascination is probably ME but Hyde fills out the lineup card. Stowers hits lefties well but wasn't used against them much last year, again probably  a Hyde decision. I am pretty sure that Frazier will get many more chances than the majority of folks here would like.

You’re right about Davis, but that is a bit of a different situation. That was a huge multi year contract and he was supposed to be a franchise player.  This is just one year. Frazier isn’t part of the future. If Frazier doesn’t play well in the first couple months, the smart thing to do would be to bench him. Maybe we don’t do the smart thing, but I’m not going to worry about that right now. We can all complain about that when it happens.