Westburg's EVs

Tony-OH

2 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

I am as excited to see the walk as I am the 109 mph single. That means he has 12 K’s to 3 walks in 41 plate appearances. SSS and all, but that is a bit of an issue to me. 

Especially in spring training, I kind of separate the walks and the K’s.  A lot of guys walk less frequently in the spring because their main goal is to get their swing and timing down, so they may swing at stuff they’d take during the season. In Westburg’s case, he walked a healthy 70 times last year (11.3% compared to 6.7% this spring).   He struck out 23.6% of the time last year, 26.7% this spring.  Not the spring  ratios you’d want to see, but they’re not horrible when you consider that when he hits it, he’s scalding the ball. 

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Especially in spring training, I kind of separate the walks and the K’s.  A lot of guys walk less frequently in the spring because their main goal is to get their swing and timing down, so they may swing at stuff they’d take during the season. In Westburg’s case, he walked a healthy 70 times last year (11.3% compared to 6.7% this spring).   He struck out 23.6% of the time last year, 26.7% this spring.  Not the spring  ratios you’d want to see, but they’re not horrible when you consider that when he hits it, he’s scalding the ball. 

When you look at Westburg’s splits last year you can see that he tends to get aggressive but has the ability to dial it back.   He was super aggressive in Norfolk and got off to a scalding start there last year.  In June he OPS’d over 1.000 but had just 3 walks and 17 strikeouts in 88 PA. When he slumped that aggressiveness caught up with him.  He put up a .560 OPS in July with 5 walks and 26 strikeouts in 87 PA.   Seems like a made a conscious effort in August to be more patient.   An .860 OPS with 23 walks and 23 strikeouts in 117 PA but only a .223 average.   So he decides to get a little bit more aggressive in September.  13 walks 24 strikeouts in 120 PA with a .944 OPS and .311 average.

You can see that he recognizes the breaking pitches but he still chases at times.    Experience.   I think he’s going to be solid.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

We can only hope both Frazier and Mateo hit.  That would be good for the team but also put us into a strong position at the deadline and next off season.    I’m the eternal optimist so I focus on Mateo’s 4 walks and my observation that he’s been staying back and going to RF quite a bit this spring.  Crossed fingers.    As for Frazier, I don’t know what I should be looking for.   He makes a lot of contact but I’ve noticed a lot of ground balls and not too many line drives.  Crossed fingers.

Ortiz is probably just as ready as Westburg but Westburg’s a big boy with big boy power.

My hope for Frazier is that his ability to put balls in play plus the lack of shift causes him to get a lot of hits…kind of first half of 2021..real high BABiP that may not be sustainable but gives us some level of production. 

I feel that’s the best case scenario and with his bat to ball skills, its possible.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Agreed. In addition, he is seeing some pitchers for the first time. Early, you want to see the ball deep, and see as many pitches as you can. 

I have no doubt he will make adjustments at the ML level and be an excellent player at some point this season. Watching him work his at bats, he’s patient and has a great approach. I’d love to see him break camp and go North with the club. I think he’s just about ready. I just want to know what Elias has in mind with all of this. 

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I do think it’s likely Frazier provides very good defense but that’s not enough to justify the move, especially when you have guys who very well may be his equal or better at second.

But Urias’ knee is was an issue. Hope it isn’t an issue in season. 

We have a good “problem” on our hands. I don’t think it’s prudent to bring Westburg up unless he’s playing 4+ days a week. 

I can see Elias’ thinking with Frazier. We needed an insurance policy if Urias wasn’t good to go, or God forbid that that Mullins gets hurt and Frazier could lead off. 

It’s looking like we should trade Mateo, but there is little market, then play Gunnar at SS, with Westburg as basically a starting 3rd/4th IF. We need a Mateo buyer. 

10 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

But Urias’ knee is was an issue. Hope it isn’t an issue in season. 

We have a good “problem” on our hands. I don’t think it’s prudent to bring Westburg up unless he’s playing 4+ days a week. 

I can see Elias’ thinking with Frazier. We needed an insurance policy if Urias wasn’t good to go, or God forbid that that Mullins gets hurt and Frazier could lead off. 

It’s looking like we should trade Mateo, but there is little market, then play Gunnar at SS, with Westburg as basically a starting 3rd/4th IF. We need a Mateo buyer. 

Maybe la or Houston will get desperate?

17 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Locked on orioles podcast from two days ago thinks a trade will be happening. No inside info just speculation

I find it hard to believe a trade happens. This thing is going to take care of itself over the course of time. 

I’m sure teams made inquiries about players this off-season. Elias keeps talking about the depth and options Hyde will have. This is a good situation to be in. Not like years ago when players were handed jobs. Elias is not forced to do anything at the moment. Nor should he. This is just going to require some patience. 

On 3/22/2023 at 5:18 PM, Frobby said:

Pitchers may be throwing strikes more too when the games don't count. I have no numbers to back that up but it makes sense.