Adley Rutschman 2023

SilverRocket

How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?

On 6/26/2023 at 11:28 AM, Sports Guy said:

I still would like to see them move him down in the order..go to 3rd or preferably 4th.

Where his penchant for walking and offering deep-count previews of the pitcher's repertoire  and the umpire's strike zone to the power MOO would be wasted. I'd rather have him on base for RBIs by Santander, Hays, O'Hearn, or Henderson than trying to get a RBI BB, i.e. only when the bases are loaded.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Were his penchant for walking and offering deep-count previews of the pitcher's repertoire  and the umpire's strike zone to the power MOO would be wasted. I'd rather have him on base for RBIs by Santander, Hays, O'Hearn, or Henderson than trying to get a RBI BB, i.e. only when the bases are loaded.

Good strike zone judgement and running counts deep is never wasted anywhere. That is a very foolish statement.

That said, I would like to see him sacrifice some walks for power and I’m wonder if dropping him down into a more power/drive in runs spot in the lineup changes his mindset some. 

We have heard from players in the past that lineup position does matter to them. Now, maybe it won’t matter to Adley but I think they should try it.

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Good strike zone judgement and running counts deep is never wasted anywhere. That is a very foolish statement.

That said, I would like to see him sacrifice some walks for power and I’m wonder if dropping him down into a more power/drive in runs spot in the lineup changes his mindset some. 

We have heard from players in the past that lineup position does matter to them. Now, maybe it won’t matter to Adley but I think they should try it.

I thought it was obvious that I was speaking of the first inning; the earlier the hitters have some sense of what the repertoire and strike zone are that day the better.

I'm sure if it were that easy to switch from walking to hitting doubles and home runs, Adley would have already done it, regardless of where in the lineup he is. He has been #1 or #2 in the league in walks all season--I think it wise to work with what we know he's good at.

Edited by LA2

.632 OPS in June so far with one game to go.   Not great Bob.

And before everyone jumps on workload as an excuse (not saying it's not a factor completely), he is on track for 22 games played this month as opposed to a minimum of 27 in previous months.

Hoping this is just a "pitchers are adjusting, now he needs to counter adjust" kinda thing.

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Just a polite note that after I give you some time to respond to my reply above, I'll put you on Ignore. Don't have time and mind to waste on people who call other people's posts "very foolish." Thank you and Best wishes.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Just a polite note that after I give you some time to respond to my reply above, I'll put you on Ignore. Don't have time and mind to waste on people who call other people's posts "very foolish." Thank you and Best wishes.

As an innocent bystander, I completely agree with your reaction here.  There really is no place for telling people that they are foolish, stupid on anything else like that on here.  It's okay to disagree and have a different opinion......but putting people and/or their thoughts down should not be acceptable.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

I didn't realize Jonah Heim was an Oriole. As far as stats, Heim doesn't have that much better stats than Adley.  Heim is batting .279 and 11 HR and Adley .268 and 10 HR.

Not that RBI's should be the tell all stat but people look at it. Heim is tied for seventh and Rutschman is tied for 104th in the majors.

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

Sorry, it was a foolish take. If that word offends you, so be it but saying we can't move him down in the order because he works the count just doesn't make any sense and no, it wasn't obvious that you meant for one at bat and one at bat isn't a reason to not move someone down.  If his arttitude and approach is the exact same no matter where he hits, that's fine, don't move him but we know players tend to think differently in different areas of the lineup.

Maybe some thicker skin would be in order? Its one word. I am sure you have said similar stuff before.  Either way, I'm good if you feel you have to put me on ignore. It doesn't really matter to me.

I can assure you that almost all teammates and coaches will tell you that there is extreme value in players that are atop the lineup to work the counts in order to extend at bats to see as much of a pitchers repertoire and umpires strike zone. 

Anyone who would think otherwise, holds a foolish position. 

;)

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Sorry, it was a foolish take. If that word offends you, so be it but saying we can't move him down in the order because he works the count just doesn't make any sense and no, it wasn't obvious that you meant for one at bat and one at bat isn't a reason to not move someone down.  If his arttitude and approach is the exact same no matter where he hits, that's fine, don't move him but we know players tend to think differently in different areas of the lineup.

Maybe some thicker skin would be in order? Its one word. I am sure you have said similar stuff before.  Either way, I'm good if you feel you have to put me on ignore. It doesn't really matter to me.

Or maybe just make your very valid argument without putting a negative a label on what someone said.  It's just better to say, "I disagree with you, and here's why.....", rather than call someone tell them what they said was foolish or any other non-productive label.  So, I think rather than people having thicker skins, maybe some should try to have more tact.  That might be a better approach.

That being said, I agree with you in that I'd also like to see Adley become more aggressive and start ambushing some fastballs.....he's taking way too many good pitches, and digging holes for himself, which is a really foolish thing to do.  See what I did there???

• Upvote 3

Here is a foolish question...  Acknowledged at the beginning of the post.

My wife just asked me if Adley was hurt because there are some fan groups on Facebook that show up in her feed arguing this topic (I don't do the Facebook thing).  Some are saying they believe that Adley's arm is hurt and he is playing injured.

Reading the write up on the All-Star game and Orioles history, it said the Weiters had an invite in 2014 but had Tommy Johns.  That would have been around May 2014.  He was drafted in 2007.  Right around his 28th birthday.  Adley is 3 years younger that Weiters.

Does anyone think there is any validity to the thought that there may be more to Adley's tricep strain from 2022 and his inability to throw more runners out?  Some are saying all the stolen bases are on the pitchers and not a product or fault of Adley. 

Being out on West coast... I don't get to watch most of the games and the non caught stealing don't make a lot of highlight clips.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Why not simply say, "I really disagree with you, and here's why?"  Over the years, I've come to regard you as one of the most knowledgeable people on this board.  But frequently, your vitriolic responses seem over the top and uncalled for and distract from your usually well-thought-out takes. It probably wouldn't come off the same way if we were having these conversations over a beer, but on a message board, your remarks often seem gratuitous and undermine what are usually excellent observations on your part.  

Edited by BRobinsonfan

53 minutes ago, CHIP said:

Here is a foolish question...  Acknowledged at the beginning of the post.

My wife just asked me if Adley was hurt because there are some fan groups on Facebook that show up in her feed arguing this topic (I don't do the Facebook thing).  Some are saying they believe that Adley's arm is hurt and he is playing injured.

Reading the write up on the All-Star game and Orioles history, it said the Weiters had an invite in 2014 but had Tommy Johns.  That would have been around May 2014.  He was drafted in 2007.  Right around his 28th birthday.  Adley is 3 years younger that Weiters.

Does anyone think there is any validity to the thought that there may be more to Adley's tricep strain from 2022 and his inability to throw more runners out?  Some are saying all the stolen bases are on the pitchers and not a product or fault of Adley. 

Being out on West coast... I don't get to watch most of the games and the non caught stealing don't make a lot of highlight clips.

I sure hope he’s not hurt.  It didn’t really occur to me.   I will say his throws don’t seem very strong.