Adley Rutschman 2023

SilverRocket

How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

The numbers show he is just hitting a lot more singles. He’s not driving the ball. He’s not getting extra base hits. His XBH frequency is way down. 

Would it make you feel better if he had a lower batting average this year like last year?

Yes, nobody is arguing he's hitting as well, specifically for power, as he did last year.  We can all see the numbers.

However, as has been established, it's not nearly as gaping difference as some are making it to be.  And if he wasn't slugging a mere .378 over his last 45 Abs, it would be even less so.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Would it make you feel better if he had a lower batting average this year like last year?

Yes, nobody is arguing he's hitting as well, specifically for power, as he did last year.  We can all see the numbers.

However, as has been established, it's not nearly as gaping difference as some are making it to be.  And if he wasn't slugging a mere .378 over his last 45 Abs, it would be even less so.

Yes. I would like to see him sacrifice some BA or even some walks for power. OBP is important but would I rather have a 350/460 guy vs 370/420 guy? Hell yea I would.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes. I would like to see him sacrifice some BA or even some walks for power. OBP is important but would I rather have a 350/460 guy vs 370/420 guy? Hell yea I would.

I think there is something to this (perhaps more so than the overuse thesis). It seems like he is evolving into a Markakis type of hitter with 20 HR power but an emphasis on OBP. With two strikes, he is trying to make good contact and draw walks. Some of that may be coming from hitting leadoff. He clearly has some untapped power that we're not seeing as much in game. The question is whether it is sacrificing so much power that it is worth trying to change who he is as a hitter. Personally I would still need to see a lot more for a lot longer to consider messing with his approach.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

I think there is something to this (perhaps more so than the overuse thesis). It seems like he is evolving into a Markakis type of hitter with 20 HR power but an emphasis on OBP. With two strikes, he is trying to make good contact and draw walks. Some of that may be coming from hitting leadoff. He clearly has some untapped power that we're not seeing as much in game. The question is whether it is sacrificing so much power that it is worth trying to change who he is as a hitter. Personally I would still need to see a lot more for a lot longer to consider messing with his approach.

I don’t think we can make proclamations as to what he is becoming.

First of all, his manager is doing a terrible job of managing his time and it’s hurting him.

Secondly, he has been the “beneficiary” of having the second most strikes called on him that should have been balls. 

Both of these things are hurting him a lot. I hope this isn’t the player he is going forward. I have zero interest in extending this player, that’s for sure. 

2 hours ago, dystopia said:

Adley does not have enough major league at bats to declare that this is “who he is”. 

I agree with this.  Any young player can work on their weaknesses and improve.  

Seems to be Adley’s biggest offensive problem has been getting the ball in the air as a LHB when he pulls it.  He hits a lot of long fly balls to LCF and a lot of grounders when he pulls it.  That’s something he can work on in the offseason.

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think we can make proclamations as to what he is becoming.

First of all, his manager is doing a terrible job of managing his time and it’s hurting him.

Secondly, he has been the “beneficiary” of having the second most strikes called on him that should have been balls. 

Both of these things are hurting him a lot. I hope this isn’t the player he is going forward. I have zero interest in extending this player, that’s for sure. 

I do not think Hyde is doing a terrible job of managing his time.   Could he tweak things a little?   Sure.   Terrible is a strong word and I don't agree with it.

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree that he looks worn down. 

But is everyone pearl clutching here if we haven’t lost three straight?  If he doesn’t hit into that double play last night is everyone still freaking out?

Not even a little... just the usual mini-panic. Magnified by new...quirky?...posters who have arrived with the bandwagon. I mean yeesh, we've got guys on here critiquing the physical fitness of our starting catcher like he's out there looking like Pablo Sandoval or something.

Here's where I am. Just based on what I see. I watch Adley and I'm not over-whelmed. Yet, ever since he has arrived, we've been winning. Correlation or coinsidence? I don't know how much leading off affects his approach. Plus, he has not impressed me greatly behind the plate. So, I'm not looking to Adley to carry this team. But, he's our best catcher over-all right now and it's not even close. 

Maybe with all this OH review, he'll break out tonight. Just hope if he does, he brings others with him. As a team we are in a funk at the wrong time facing some of the best pitching out there. 

2 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

Here's where I am. Just based on what I see. I watch Adley and I'm not over-whelmed. Yet, ever since he has arrived, we've been winning. Correlation or coinsidence? I don't know how much leading off affects his approach. Plus, he has not impressed me greatly behind the plate. So, I'm not looking to Adley to carry this team. But, he's our best catcher over-all right now and it's not even close. 

Maybe with all this OH review, he'll break out tonight. Just hope if he does, he brings others with him. As a team we are in a funk at the wrong time facing some of the best pitching out there. 

I'd argue the wrong time to go into a funk would be the playoffs. I'd rather they get it out of their systems now.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

I'd argue the wrong time to go into a funk would be the playoffs. I'd rather they get it out of their systems now.

I understand your point but don't totally agree. To me winning this division and getting a BYE is very important for this team to have a shot going deep in the playoffs. That breather at the end would do a lot to freshen a team of players that for the most part hasn't done this before and in my opinion will NEED that break. 

2 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

I understand your point but don't totally agree. To me winning this division and getting a BYE is very important for this team to have a shot going deep in the playoffs. That breather at the end would do a lot to freshen a team of players that for the most part hasn't done this before and in my opinion will NEED that break. 

The bottom line is either they are good enough or they aren't. The break would be nice, but if they are good enough, and they've at least looked like it nearly all year then they will be fine. If they aren't, well, it's house money. Nobody thought this team would approach 100 wins.