Has Vavra played his way into a starting 2B job?

wildcard

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I want to like Vavra, but I see a guy that has no arm, no power, no speed, and really doesn’t threaten the defense. I’m not saying he’s done. But he’s not the best fit as a LH hitter for this team. 

Pete... why do we want him?

Cuz he gets on base.

• Upvote 1

Both Vavra and Frazier are the same type of players. They won't hit alot of home runs, but they will get on base very often. And when you got a guy who is reliable at getting on base, you stick a reliable power hitter right behind him to drive him home and it's a high percentage chance of scoring.

Earl Weaver used to love the guys that could get on base. They were important to the 3 run home run.

1 minute ago, EdwinRip said:

Getting on base without any power is not very valuable.  He’s going to need to pick it up if he wants to keep a mlb job as his defense is suspect.  

Pick it up?  The guy has had 15 plate appearances.  Today he was 2 for 3 with a walk.  That’ll do for now.  

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't care about the lack of power.  He gets on base.  

He has some of the best ABs you’ll ever see.  I predicted last year after seeing him a ton in Norfolk that he’d be a fan favorite.  He’s a breath of fresh air compared to what we have been seeing for the last decade.  The guy is 25 - he’s about to hit peak physical form. I don’t think he will be a 20-30 HR guy but imagine he can pop 15 and get on base consistently.  He’s a hell of an athlete and has played all OF positions and all IF and keeps a C glove in his bag.  A 60 future hit grade from fangraphs is nothing to sneeze at.  My worry with him is being able to stay on the field.  He’s had back issues and that is never a good thing so young. 🤞

Edited by emmett16

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He won’t get on base if he doesn’t show power. If he can show power, he can be a valuable guy.

Right now, he’s Chance Sisco.  He won’t last as a MLer without showing that power.

Tony Gwynn quietly chuckles.