Orioles acquire Danny Coulombe

Going Underground

14 hours ago, wildcard said:

3rd lefty in the pen.  

Means and Johnson can go on the 60 day IL.   Politi spot in limbo.  Tate could go on the 60 day IL if needed.

They have to save a 40 man spot for Bemboom in case McCann can't go.

Opt outs will be interesting.

Is Tate really 60 days out?

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Is Tate really 60 days out?

They keep saying maybe by Mid May he is back. I’m not optimistic myself with that kind of an injury. 

That said they may not really have the need to put him on the 60 unless they think they really need the roster spot. 

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Fangraphs has them at #21 and that's with Givens and Tate combining for 114 innings.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2023-positional-power-rankings-bullpen-no-16-30/

Fangraphs project the Oriole bullpen to be worth 1.5 WAR, yet the same/similar group generated 4.7 WAR last year (good for 9th in MLB). I guess Fangraphs believe that last year was a fluke. 

The O’s selected Coulombe’s contract, so he’s on the team.   I’ve been trying to check into him a little.  He pitched effectively last year for two months (1.46 ERA) but then underwent hip labrum surgery and missed the rest of the season.  It wasn’t clear if he’d be ready by spring training, but he was, and pitched well, throwing 9 innings to a 0.00 ERA while striking out 13 and allowing only 8 hits.   His work this spring included three scoreless one-inning appearances against the Orioles, in which he struck out 6 batters.   So, I guess the O’s liked what they saw.  

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The O’s selected Coulombe’s contract, so he’s on the team.   I’ve been trying to check into him a little.  He pitched effectively last year for two months (1.46 ERA) but then underwent hip labrum surgery and missed the rest of the season.  It wasn’t clear if he’d be ready by spring training, but he was, and pitched well, throwing 9 innings to a 0.00 ERA while striking out 13 and allowing only 8 hits.   His work this spring included three scoreless one-inning appearances against the Orioles, in which he struck out 6 batters.   So, I guess the O’s liked what they saw.  

I kind of like this trade. Interloper bullet points incoming:

• We get a potentially decent middle reliever/matchup lefty for basically nothing. 
  • He's the only true matchup lefty in the pen since Akin is more long relief and Perez is more setup man.
  • There aren't any super exciting bullpen prospects he would be blocking. Baumann may make the team and if he doesn't he'll be up and down a lot this year. Same with Gillaspie. They don't want Hall in the bullpen yet. 
  • Depth! The team is loaded with depth at various other positions (IF, OF, SP), but not so much at RP. If this guy can be a sort of Richard Bleier type dude in the bullpen, that's huge for not having to immediately rely on some bubble AAA guys. 

Now certainly there's some injury risk at 33 years old coming off hip surgery. But all he needs to do is help plug a hole for awhile, and his ST numbers are encouraging. Considering we gave up nothing and he blocks no one of note, I consider this a good acquisition. 

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes and they even gave him a number.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• McDermott has pitched parts of 6 months in AAA.  Here is the monthly WHIP breakdown, August 23' 25.2 IP 1.05 WHIP September 23' 12 IP 0.75 WHIP March 24' 4.1 IP 1.38 WHIP April 24' 17 IP 2.06 WHIP May 24' 25.2 IP 1.25 WHIP June 24' 23.1 IP 1.29 IP That April 2024 WHIP really skews the numbers. 
    • Not as much power right now, but that could be coming as his body fills out.
    • I'm not disagreeing about John's penny pinching vs. his father (who was willing to pay when they were good). John was way too methodical to a fault with the budget. There was clearly a margin he wanted to target and never deviated from it. I'm just addressing this notion that Rubenstein had any say in the budget when it came to Kimbrel or Burnes. People were trying to give credit to Rubenstein for Burnes. That happened back in February and ever since. It fundamentally misses how businesses are run and, hell, risk management and governance for that matter.
    • C'mon, you can't blame everything that's gone wrong for the Dodgers every year for the past decade on Kershaw.  I remember Byung Hyung-Kim single handedly trying to give the Yankees the World Series on a platter in 2001 and failing to do so.   I do believe you're partially correct, having more talent is key but I truly do believe that it's a bit of a crapshoot.  You've gotta get hot at the right time and the Rangers last year proved that.  I think you could play that postseason again 10 different times in a simulation and they'd only win it maybe once or twice.  You like your chances if you have more talent but the most talented team doesn't always win, Kershaw or not.  You don't have to look far to see those results.
    • I agree Povich could be more than a fifth starter. Plenty of guy have had successful ML careers without being flamethrowers. And aside from his first start? he's been better than average. Time will tell.  Despite Montgomery's ERA I still think he'd be a good option. He's been there before and he's nowhere near his career numbers as of yet. Lorenzen is up and down-witnessed by him throwing a no-hitter with Philly-then stinking it up after and being moved to the pen. He might help to fill out the rotation, but doesn't Povich do that now? Yes, Suarez and Irvin haven't been great lately, but maybe Elias hasn't seen the right piece become available, or they are available, but he doesn't like the terms. Unlike the "coming unglued" take it is a bad stretch. People complain because the bats slump for a few games and then when they do hit the pitching isn't synched up. It's a long season and I'd rather have the guy in charge be someone who is deliberate with deals than reactionary. Last I checked they are up six in the WC and oh, btw still just two back of NY in the division. I saw a report the Dodgers were interested in M Miller. Not to keep beating this drum, but he is the kind of guy who can solidify the bullpen and he's worthy of a haul. They can stretch him out and move him into the rotation, or he can be moved back into high leverage if that doesn't work out. The Dodgers have more resources than do the Orioles, but they often make moves based on winning it all in the year the moves are made. Hasn't worked out, except for the shortened season, but the approach is right.
    • Yes he did acquire Burnes. But with the additional salary added from him and Kimbrel, it is very plausible that under Angelos that was his threshold. The payroll was kept so low for so long it is not a stretch to conclude that Angelos has a heavy hand in that. Especially given the team revenue after all expenses was 99 million dollars last year alone. There are 100's of millions that never saw the light of day during the awfulness of the Angelos regime. The son in particular appears to have been stuffing his shirt, socks, and pockets with much of the profit that the team was bringing in.
    • Because that is all the salary that Angelos was willing to take on. Hopefully, Rubenstien offers more meaningful support.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now