Adam Frazier 2023

Frobby

Speaking of Adam Frazier - he is a no-nonsense guy in the post-game interviews, isn't he?  I never paid much attention to him before he came to Baltimore, but he seems like he is pretty high strung.  Kevin Brown keeps trying to get Frazier to break character and smile a bit in the interviews,  but he acts like he is talking life and death matters with no smile and no extra pleasantries.   It's kind of amusing. 

11 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Speaking of Adam Frazier - he is a no-nonsense guy in the post-game interviews, isn't he?  I never paid much attention to him before he came to Baltimore, but he seems like he is pretty high strung.  Kevin Brown keeps trying to get Frazier to break character and smile a bit in the interviews,  but he acts like he is talking life and death matters with no smile and no extra pleasantries.   It's kind of amusing. 

He seemed that way in the one ST interview I saw but he does seem to be having fun with the guys in the postgame celebrations.

• Upvote 1

On 4/20/2023 at 7:37 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

.756 OPS, 0.6 WAR, 8BB 6SO

Since you want to play this game:

OPS: .665
WOBA: .299 (.317 MLB avg)
OOA: -1 (19th percentile)
Speed: (31st Percentile)
wRC+: 90
OPS+: 87
fWAR: 0.1
rWAr: 0.4 (How they think being below average in everything equates to 0.4 WAR makes me question rWAR)

22 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

rWAr: 0.4 (How they think being below average in everything equates to 0.4 WAR makes me question rWAR)

At least he's better at the plate than Gunnar

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

At least he's better at the plate than Gunnar

Well let's see:

OPS: .638 vs .665 (Frazier)
WOBA: .307 vs .299 (Gunnar)
OOA: -5 (-4 at 3B and -1 at SS) vs -1 Frazier (Frazier) Note: Gunnar has been an unmitigated disaster defensively so far for sure 
Speed: 79th vs 31st Percentile (Gunnar)
wRC+: 96 vs 90 (Gunnar)
fWAR: -0.1 vs 0.1 (Frazier)
rWAR: -0.1 vs 0.4 (Frazier) 

Of course when Frazier was 22-years old he was in High-A, so not exactly the same thing.

46 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Are your averages and percentiles against 2B or all position players? That may explain the WAR.

2 minutes ago, WietersCorner said:

Are your averages and percentiles against 2B or all position players? That may explain the WAR.

Good question. I think they are across MLB as a whole, but I'm not 100 sure since they come off the baseball savant site.

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Let’s do this every time Frazier hits a high point or a low point!   We can do it all season!

I thought it was interesting that Hyde chose to pinch run Frazier (26.0 ft/sec sprint speed) for Urias (26.3) last night.  Does Hyde not know Urias is faster?   Are the stats just misleading?   Is Frazier just the better instinctive baserunner?  Or is Hyde just an ignoramus?   I’m going with baserunning instincts, at least in Hyde’s opinion.  

Frazier’s offensive numbers are dropping but I’m having a hard time saying he’s been terrible or not valuable.  rWAR likes him (0.4), fWAR doesn’t (0.0).   

To me, Frazier does some things that don’t really show up in his slash line.  Saturday, he came up with a runner on 3B and less than two out in the bottom of the 9th, got his bat on the ball and knocked in the winning run.  Sunday, he came in as a pinch runner and scored the winning run on a ball that got a little bit away from the catcher.  Monday, he received a throw from McCann and rather than catching it out front and trying to swipe tag, he let the ball travel to within an inch of the runner’s leg and gloved it, letting the ball’s momentum carry the glove into the leg and getting the tag on just before the runner’s hand hit the base.  Even catching the ball 6 inches out front would have led to the runner being safe.  

I also like the way Frazier initiates DP’s.  He’s extremely fast getting the ball out of his glove and to the SS, often using a quick and deadly accurate backhand flip that’s hard to master.

Now, I’m not defending the signing, which I was against.  Nor would I mind seeing Westburg or Ortiz taking Frazier’s spot (though I don’t think that’s likely in the near future).   I’m just saying there are things I like about Frazier.

(And yes, I think other players might have done any of the things I mentioned above from the recent games.)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Frazier’s offensive numbers are dropping but I’m having a hard time saying he’s been terrible or not valuable.  rWAR likes him (0.4), fWAR doesn’t (0.0).   

To me, Frazier does some things that don’t really show up in his slash line.  Saturday, he came up with a runner on 3B and less than two out in the bottom of the 9th, got his bat on the ball and knocked in the winning run.  Sunday, he came in as a pinch runner and scored the winning run on a ball that got a little bit away from the catcher.  Monday, he received a throw from McCann and rather than catching it out front and trying to swipe tag, he let the ball travel to within an inch of the runner’s leg and gloved it, letting the ball’s momentum carry the glove into the leg and getting the tag on just before the runner’s hand hit the base.  Even catching the ball 6 inches out front would have led to the runner being safe.  

I also like the way Frazier initiates DP’s.  He’s extremely fast getting the ball out of his glove and to the SS, often using a quick and deadly accurate backhand flip that’s hard to master.

Now, I’m not defending the signing, which I was against.  Nor would I mind seeing Westburg or Ortiz taking Frazier’s spot (though I don’t think that’s likely in the near future).   I’m just saying there are things I like about Frazier.

(And yes, I think other players might have done any of the things I mentioned above from the recent games.)

You can say 2 good things about Frazier:

1) His second base defense shouldn’t hurt you.

2) He is a contact guy and balls put in play could cause positive things to happen.

Thats it.

Has it been mentioned how awful of a signing he was?

I think the Frazier signing was an attempt to raise the floor of the 2B position, and in doing so lowered the ceiling.  But I think Elias knew that when the signing was made.

He's here until at least July IMO.  Maybe they can flip him for an 17-year old if he plays well enough.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

You can say 2 good things about Frazier:

1) His second base defense shouldn’t hurt you.

2) He is a contact guy and balls put in play could cause positive things to happen.

Thats it.

Has it been mentioned how awful of a signing he was?

Man I love it when slow guys hit the ball on the ground.