Adam Frazier 2023

Frobby

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Grayson is not going to the bullpen .. period.  How good would you have felt with Lopez blowing up and losing games last fall for us rather than the Twins? .  Lopez was prime to come back to earth- unless you thought he was Mariano Rivera and Elias rightly judged what was coming.  It was selling high. 

Elias sold high on Tanner Scott and Cole Sulser and they've both been pretty bad since the trade. However, I'm not so sure that will be the case with Lopez. He still looks like an above average reliever to me. A lot will be riding on Povich and how the RHP in our bullpen perform. They are really going to be put to the test with Tate and Givens out. 

7 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Elias sold high on Tanner Scott and Cole Sulser and they've both been pretty bad since the trade. However, I'm not so sure that will be the case with Lopez. He still looks like an above average reliever to me. A lot will be riding on Povich and how the RHP in our bullpen perform. They are really going to be put to the test with Tate and Givens out. 

I'm not sure that Elias sold high on Scott and Sulser.  Velez is 26 and can't get out of AA.  The other  two are 18 and 19 year old guys that did do much last season.

12 minutes ago, LTO's said:

He was a bad closer for Twins .. not “above average “ 

5 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

He was a bad closer for Twins .. not “above average “ 

Sure, in a small sample he was below average, but he still has a live arm. The stuff I saw at the WBC and his inning yesterday don't scream massive regression incoming. I was not one of those people who thought us trading him was the reason we didn't make the playoffs last year. However, I still do believe he is a quality reliever that is as good if not better than many relievers we have on the 40 man now. If Povich turns out to be a nobody it's likely to be a bad trade for us. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well why did we trade away a 3+ out reliever with a 99 mph sinker right when our window was opening?  Ok so Lopez wasn’t the best closer on the team, but then how are we getting to him. Grayson is the one guy that can step into that 7th/8th inning role. Who else can?  

Poor roster construction for this season. The Lopez trade looks really bad. In actuality, the Frazier signing has a better chance of working out then the Lopez trade. 

They made the 2 trades last season to add some pitching depth. I don't think the reasoning goes any deeper than that. As we've seen with Grayson this spring, you can never have too many starters.

The bullpen would probably not even be a question if Tate and Givens were healthy. 

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I'm not sure that Elias sold high on Scott and Sulser.  Velez is 26 and can't get out of AA.  The other  two are 18 and 19 year old guys that did do much last season.

All of those players were throw -ins. The real return was getting that draft pick which I believe turned into Fabian. But even still, he did sell high. Scott has the same terrible command he had here and Sulser is just not good. The fact that he got something for them is great. 

1 hour ago, LTO's said:

Sure, in a small sample he was below average, but he still has a live arm. The stuff I saw at the WBC and his inning yesterday don't scream massive regression incoming. I was not one of those people who thought us trading him was the reason we didn't make the playoffs last year. However, I still do believe he is a quality reliever that is as good if not better than many relievers we have on the 40 man now. If Povich turns out to be a nobody it's likely to be a bad trade for us. 

I think less of him than you do  .. i think his closer innings for us were outliers for him and if he is just an OK 6th or 7th inning guy .. dime a dozen.  But either way, water under bridge and clearly ME thought Povich has some upside. 

7 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I think less of him than you do  .. i think his closer innings for us were outliers for him and if he is just an OK 6th or 7th inning guy .. dime a dozen.  But either way, water under bridge and clearly ME thought Povich has some upside. 

He had zero stats that said it was an outlier outside of his FIP showing him to be more of a 2.5-3 ERA guy vs sub 2.