Best thing the Orioles can do is trade Kyle Stowers

Tony-OH

The biggest shock to me is that he is behind McKenna and Vavra in the pecking order.  He was a top five-ish prospect last year while those other two were clearly being groomed as role players. 

For all the complaints that he was under utilized last year, he was still getting more playing time than those two.  

What has happened between now and then, for the organization to become so down on him?  Not like he didn't hit at all in 2022. 

Edited by ChuckS

So far Stowers has started 1/6 games. I think that rate will go up soon, and I won't be surprised if he starts both today and Sunday against the Yankees' righties. 

I wonder if he will see more playing time at home than on the road, given what we know about Elias' interest in lefty hitters at Camden. 

10 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

So far Stowers has started 1/6 games. I think that rate will go up soon, and I won't be surprised if he starts both today and Sunday against the Yankees' righties. 

I wonder if he will see more playing time at home than on the road, given what we know about Elias' interest in lefty hitters at Camden. 

It's the home opener.  Like last week, I'm expecting for Santander to be in the OF and for Urias or Gunnar at DH.  I could even see Frazier in RF with Santander at DH. 

Hope I'm proven wrong. Maybe Stowers starts Sunday.  

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

Well don’t trade him now. The whole league is gonna think he’s a AAAA player the way this team is mismanaging him. 

I doubt that Stowers is a hot commidty to any other team right now, so I agree, trading him would be the equivalent to just giving him away.  We won't get value in return.

I'm sure there is some hope that Stowers mashes at Norfolk, and one of the current outfielders on the major league roster becomes highly sought after, and then traded for pitching to then make room for Stowers.   Then, everyone would be happy.  If Santander or Hayes would get traded, I can't see McKenna and/or Vavra being the new long term answer in a starting outfielder role.

We’re just in a situation that we’re not used to. We have Stowers and Westburg that are ready to play everyday, but just don’t have an opening. Norby and Ortiz are right there. It’s called depth. We finally got there. 

We’ll just have to see how this plays out but right now we have players ready to step in and cover every position except for CF, C, and Santander. 

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’re just in a situation that we’re not used to. We have Stowers and Westburg that are ready to play everyday, but just don’t have an opening. Norby and Ortiz are right there. It’s called depth. We finally got there. 

We’ll just have to see how this plays out but right now we have players ready to step in and cover every position except for CF, C, and Santander. 

We don’t have an opening because of mismanagement of the roster. 

That’s the issue here.

I have yet to see anyone on this site believe that Stowers is a definitive everyday player. He has his issues, which have been talked about enough on here.

That said, he was higher round draft pick. He has tremendous power and has shown great exit velos. He has shown the ability to hit righties and lefties.  He’s not some slug on the bases and he has enough athleticism that he can be an adequate defensive player.  

There was no reason to make it difficult for him to get at bats on this roster yet the Os did it anyway.

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/1/2023 at 3:46 PM, emmett16 said:

When a blooper inexplicably lands in front of him and when he charges in on a ball that flies over his head it’ll start to make sense.  And when he jogs slowly after a grounder, that goes under his glove all the way to the wall, it’ll be even more frustrating.  

@Tony-OH