Ryan McKenna 2023

OsFanSinceThe80s

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wonder if it had happened to Mountcastle if those folks would still be shrugging it off?

Is Mountcastle on this team for his defense? Big-time false equivalency and you know it. You’re just being contrarian.

3 minutes ago, Spakman said:

Is Mountcastle on this team for his defense? Big-time false equivalency and you know it. You’re just being contrarian.

Huh?

If a guy known for his defense has an unforced error on defense it's OK to shrug it off but if a guy is on the team for his bat makes an unforced error on defense he should be held accountable?

Is that what you are saying?

Please explain that one to me.  I'll wait.

36 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

I bet nearly all of those Mays errors are on a bad throw to the infield or misplaying a single into a double.

People who are saying "it's an error, it happens" I dunno, man... Wild throws and bad hop grounders happen, I've seen outfielders drop running catches, or misplay the ball when they're trying to catch and set up for a throw in one motion, or lose balls in the sun, or let it drop because of miscommunication with another fielder, but I can't remember ever seeing a guy camped under a ball, no sun, no throw to make, and just have it clank off the glove like that.

It’s a really terrible error, but not unprecedented.   It happens a few times a season.  Remember the Stowers homer last year that followed a player dropping a routine foul pop that would have ended the game?

To RZNJ’s question, I do remember McKenna dropping a pretty routine fly ball one other time.  I remember @Tony-OHgoing pretty ballistic about it.  This one was worse due to the game situation.  But the calls for McKenna to be sent to AAA are kind of over the top.  He’s been a good defensive outfielder the last couple of years, two very bad errors (out of four total errors in his career) notwithstanding.  I don’t think a physical error reveals some character flaw or some problem with his style of catching the ball.   It’s an error that happened that was infuriating but pretty random.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It’s a really terrible error, but not unprecedented.   It happens a few times a season.  Remember the Stowers homer last year that followed a player dropping a routine foul pop that would have ended the game?

I was at that game. The guy was on the run and was sort of near the wall. It made sense that he would take his eye off the ball for a second. Routine, perhaps, but compared to McKenna's chance it was difficult.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, royalstillman said:

If McKenna can't focus, then let him focus on being a minor leaguer. We're supposed to be playing for something this year. Let's see what Daz Cameron can do.

Exactly. That goes for any player on this team that may not be a long term part of this team. McKenna can easily be replaced. Most of the pitching staff should be on notice as well, get better or you’re gone.

And while we’re at it, let’s get Rutschman signed to a long term contract. 

3 hours ago, royalstillman said:

If McKenna can't focus, then let him focus on being a minor leaguer. We're supposed to be playing for something this year. Let's see what Daz Cameron can do.

Exactly. That goes for any player on this team that may not be a long term part of this team. McKenna can easily be replaced. Most of the pitching staff should be on notice as well, get better or you’re gone.

I don't want to overreact to a single play. For the most part he has been a solid outfielder. Every one of our guys has made dumb plays or looked bad at times, this one just came at the worst possible  moment. That said he is a marginal player so I would not be upset if he was demoted. Bigger question is if you want guys to think they are going to get demoted for every mistake.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

I bet nearly all of those Mays errors are on a bad throw to the infield or misplaying a single into a double.

People who are saying "it's an error, it happens" I dunno, man... Wild throws and bad hop grounders happen, I've seen outfielders drop running catches, or misplay the ball when they're trying to catch and set up for a throw in one motion, or lose balls in the sun, or let it drop because of miscommunication with another fielder, but I can't remember ever seeing a guy camped under a ball, no sun, no throw to make, and just have it clank off the glove like that.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I immediately thought of the Stowers HR game, and of this more famous incident: 

Yesterday was a terrible loss. I hate that it happened. I also feel sorry for McKenna cause he had to wear that mistake and became a national headline let alone a poster boy on here.

A number on here wanted him on the 26 because he is the best center fielder besides Ced. I think he still is in spite of yesterday. For a ballplayer to go from making a highlight reel catch as he did a few innings earlier to that little league bungle at the end constitutes a game I think McKenna will live with unfortunately for the rest of his career/life. And for a guy that struggles to stay in the majors, that is a real shame but also what the game can do to you. Let's hope he and our team can rebound. This is gut check time.

As many have said, this was an attention and concentration lapse more than a physical error. 
I have no idea what McKenna’s  mental preparation method is prior to each pitch.. i.e mental cues that heighten anticipation of the ball coming to me.   But I hope someone reviews that mental part with him given this is not the first time he has had an inattentive error.  Mindfulness practices can help with improving focus and awareness. 
Visualization cues are often used by many athletes prior to the physical act itself-seeing the ball coming to them, seeing it in their glove. 

37 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

As many have said, this was an attention and concentration lapse more than a physical error. 
I have no idea what McKenna’s  mental preparation method is prior to each pitch.. i.e mental cues that heighten anticipation of the ball coming to me.   But I hope someone reviews that mental part with him given this is not the first time he has had an inattentive error.  Mindfulness practices can help with improving focus and awareness. 
Visualization cues are often used by many athletes prior to the physical act itself-seeing the ball coming to them, seeing it in their glove. 

As I've said a few times, McKenna was known for "mental errors" in the minors. The dropped fly ball yesterday was certainly nothing more than a mental error because it was such an easy catch. Saying that, I'm not going to say that McKenna is not a good defensive outfielder because he is for the most part. In the past, after he's had these mental lapses, he's been able to rebound with focus for awhile. Hopefully we won't see this again for a long time. 

I can guarantee us all one thing though, nobody feels worse about dropping that ball than him. Just because a guy has mental lapses does not mean he doesn't care or is not smart. Not saying your are saying this, but some people want the guy crucified and honestly, while it really sucks that it happened for us fans, imagine having to run off that field and go into that lockeroom as him. 

Now I'm sure the guys are professional and its not like they are going to ostracize him, but he knows he let the entire team down and snatched a loss out of the jaws of victory. I honestly feel bad for him.

Now, how will he be remembered by fans long term? Well, Bill Buckner had a hell of a career yet if you bring up his name, his error in the World Series is the first thing that pops in people's heads. Now maybe folks will forget longterm, and hopefully Ryan gets an opportunity to do something special that will outweigh that mistake, but for now, that plays is the defining moment that most will remember up to this point. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, D&B said:

Um, who would you be replacing the pitching staff with? We're not exactly flush in pitching prospects. And who is replacing McKenna who can play center? I'm fascinated by this uproar for revamping the entire team two games into the season. 

What’s the Thome quote that Adam Jones said a few years ago? Something like “sometimes you’re the bug, sometimes you’re the windshield”

These things happen. It’s ugly and it sucks but there’s a lot more baseball to play. We’ll be on the better end of an error like that at some point, no doubt. McKenna did have a great catch earlier in the game. It’s a shame his error was so meaningful. But Duvall is having a great start to the season so maybe he shouldn’t have been given anything to hit? All the blame can’t be on McKenna alone

27 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

As I've said a few times, McKenna was known for "mental errors" in the minors. The dropped fly ball yesterday was certainly nothing more than a mental error because it was such an easy catch. Saying that, I'm not going to say that McKenna is not a good defensive outfielder because he is for the most part. In the past, after he's had these mental lapses, he's been able to rebound with focus for awhile. Hopefully we won't see this again for a long time. 

I can guarantee us all one thing though, nobody feels worse about dropping that ball than him. Just because a guy has mental lapses does not mean he doesn't care or is not smart. Not saying your are saying this, but some people want the guy crucified and honestly, while it really sucks that it happened for us fans, imagine having to run off that field and go into that lockeroom as him. 

Now I'm sure the guys are professional and its not like they are going to ostracize him, but he knows he let the entire team down and snatched a loss out of the jaws of victory. I honestly feel bad for him.

Now, how will he be remembered by fans long term? Well, Bill Buckner had a hell of a career yet if you bring up his name, his error in the World Series is the first thing that pops in people's heads. Now maybe folks will forget longterm, and hopefully Ryan gets an opportunity to do something special that will outweigh that mistake, but for now, that plays is the defining moment that most will remember up to this point. 

Oh absolutely not chastising him .. just curious whether  psychology training is part of preparation. As a physician, make one bad mistake and someone dies .. or a police officer .. or a combat veteran .. or a pilot. 
Dropping a ball is nothing really.. but all these areas of need for high performance do benefit from mindfulness training 

5 minutes ago, oriole said:

What’s the Thome quote that Adam Jones said a few years ago? Something like “sometimes you’re the bug, sometimes you’re the windshield”

These things happen. It’s ugly and it sucks but there’s a lot more baseball to play. We’ll be on the better end of an error like that at some point, no doubt. McKenna did have a great catch earlier in the game. It’s a shame his error was so meaningful. But Duvall is having a great start to the season so maybe he shouldn’t have been given anything to hit? All the blame can’t be on McKenna alone

Spoiler