Ryan McKenna 2023

OsFanSinceThe80s

8 minutes ago, oriole said:

What’s the Thome quote that Adam Jones said a few years ago? Something like “sometimes you’re the bug, sometimes you’re the windshield”

These things happen. It’s ugly and it sucks but there’s a lot more baseball to play. We’ll be on the better end of an error like that at some point, no doubt. McKenna did have a great catch earlier in the game. It’s a shame his error was so meaningful. But Duvall is having a great start to the season so maybe he shouldn’t have been given anything to hit? All the blame can’t be on McKenna alone

Reminds me of a joke my daughter loved when she was a kid.

What's the last thing that goes through a bugs mind when it hits your windshield?

It's butt.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Huh?

If a guy known for his defense has an unforced error on defense it's OK to shrug it off but if a guy is on the team for his bat makes an unforced error on defense he should be held accountable?

Is that what you are saying?

Please explain that one to me.  I'll wait.

I would be just as mad, but I wouldn’t want him off the team. McKenna  doesn’t belong in the major leagues.

22 hours ago, Spakman said:

McKenna  doesn’t belong in the major leagues.

.634 OPS last year and 0.1 WAR as a defensive replacement/5th outfielder. Not saying you can't upgrade on him, but he is a ML baseball player and easily deserving of a spot on a ML team's roster, be it here or elsewhere. I love how everyone forgot the incredible catch he made mere innings before the flukey drop. No one else other than Mullins would have made that catch. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, BirdinBama said:

That he is still on the team angers the hell out of me. Saturday was grounds for release!

Such a silly take. I love how some baseball fans watch baseball their whole lives and still somehow will say stuff like this. Like, how is that possible? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Such a silly take. I love how some baseball fans watch baseball their whole lives and still somehow will say stuff like this. Like, how is that possible? 

I completely agree with him. McKenna is an expendable, replacement level player. His very job is to play good defense, so for him to make a lazy play to cost the team a game on what should have been the final out is unprofessional and inexcusable. Releasing him would send a worthwhile message to the rest of the organization about the major league team's standards for professionalism and winning baseball. Setting that example is worth more than 0.1 WAR and any defensive value McKenna provides. He's easily replaceable, and he should be released. Yesterday.

4 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I completely agree with him. McKenna is an expendable, replacement level player. His very job is to play good defense, so for him to make a lazy play to cost the team a game on what should have been the final out is unprofessional and inexcusable. Releasing him would send a worthwhile message to the rest of the organization about the major league team's standards for professionalism and winning baseball. Setting that example is worth more than 0.1 WAR and any defensive value McKenna provides. He's easily replaceable, and he should be released. Yesterday.

The fact that you are saying "released" just shows your lack of baseball knowledge. They wouldn't just release a player with his defense/speed skillset (yes, he's a good defender, despite the one bad play) with years of control left. They would obviously option him. An outright release would be a laughably bad baseball operations move, an unnecessary slap in the face to the player, his teammates and coaches would hate it, and it would damage future negotiations with players and their agents. No team in the game would actually do this to a player in this day and age. You cripple your CF depth in the system over one play? I'm glad you don't run the team. 

And I guess we're just forgetting about the absolutely sensational catch he made mere innings before, and the lengthy track record of defensive success in both the minors and majors. 

Good day sir. 

Edited by interloper

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

The fact that you are saying "released" just shows your lack of baseball knowledge. They wouldn't just release a player with his defense/speed skillset (yes, he's a good defender, despite the one bad play) with years of control left. They would obviously option him. An outright release would be a laughably bad baseball operations move, an unnecessary slap in the face to the player, his teammates and coaches would hate it, and it would damage future negotiations with players and their agents. No team in the game would actually do this to a player in this day and age. You cripple your CF depth in the system over one play? I'm glad you don't run the team. 

And I guess we're just forgetting about the absolutely sensational catch he made mere innings before, and the lengthy track record of defensive success in both the minors and majors. 

Good day sir. 

You're entitled to your opinions. In my opinion, the fact you don't take issue with the play demonstrates your lack of baseball knowledge, and reflects a low standard for professionalism.

Good day to you as well!

7 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

You're entitled to your opinions. In my opinion, the fact you don't take issue with the play demonstrates your lack of baseball knowledge, and reflects a low standard for professionalism.

Good day to you as well!

And what do you have to say about his track record? Just going to ignore that and wish for the guy's career to end based on making one mistake? Pretty cruel thing to do. We should allow people the chance to correct their mistakes. 

Are you going to ignore Mullins, Hays, Santander, and Vavra also botching plays in the outfield during that series? Do you not understand that releasing McKenna would mean getting rid of one of the only true CFers in the organization? If you want to lobby for him getting optioned, that's fine, but a straight release is absolutely ridiculous. A move that 0 out of 30 teams would actually make. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

It was an ugly, ugly mistake that poor McKenna will carry with him for the rest of his career and after. I was super pissed and couldn't believe it. We were all understandably upset. But tarring and feathering McKenna doesn't help the team in any way. His release would not help the Orioles and would probably piss off the players a lot. It was a horribly painful fluke. But a fluke nevertheless. 

5 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

It was an ugly, ugly mistake that poor McKenna will carry with him for the rest of his career and after. I was super pissed and couldn't believe it. We were all understandably upset. But tarring and feathering McKenna doesn't help the team in any way. His release would not help the Orioles and would probably piss off the players a lot. It was a horribly painful fluke. But a fluke nevertheless. 

I don't know.  If you were to literally tar and feather McKenna I bet you won't see another outfielder drop a ball like that all season.

It also isn't that much a fluke since it has evidently happened to him before (or something pretty similar).

To me this is as bad as AJ getting hit on the head by the ball, and the folks here never let him live that down.

Edited by Can_of_corn

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know.  If you were to literally tar and feather McKenna I bet you won't see another outfielder drop a ball like that all season.

If you don't literally tar and feather McKenna I bet you won't see another outfielder drop a ball like that all season. 

p.s. And poor McKenna won't ever live this down. I actually am not a huge McKenna fan, but hate that his screwup is going to follow him for years in Orioles fandom. 

Edited by Ohfan67
  • Upvote 1