DL Hall 2023

justD

14 minutes ago, O's84 said:

Tony, what do you think the reason is for his drop in velocity?

No idea. Last year he was touching 97, 98 early in starts. Saying that, I'm more concerned over the secondaries not being very good and I'm not sure he threw a breaking ball in the strike zone. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, O's84 said:

Tony, what do you think the reason is for his drop in velocity?

I’m guessing 1 of 2 things:

1) He didn’t pitch much in ST and didn’t throw much leading into ST, so the arm strength is still building up.

2) Conscious effort to throw softer in an effort for more command. Didn’t work tonight but maybe it will long term?  

Im hoping for #1.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The stuff is down across the board from last year. His avg fastball is down 1.3 MPH, the Changeup is up 1.2 MPH with two less inches of vertical break up 1 inch of horizontal. The slider and curve both have less movement with the slider really flattening out (5 less vertical). 

As was stated earlier, he looks a lot like the guy we saw a good bit last year needing a lot of pitches to get through 3 innings of work, but unfortunately, everything looks down. 

The guy I saw tonight did not look like an impact guy. Let's hope he's still just getting going after starting late, but seems like we are always making excuses for him.

The guy I saw last night looked an awful lot like... Matt "24K" Riley. :(

Edited by now

3 minutes ago, now said:

The guy I saw last night looked an awful lot like... Matt "24K" Riley. :(

That's a scary thought. Matt did lose some velocity, but he also struggled to come back from his injuries and that was partially because the organization wasn't very good at rehabbing guys. 

Hall has a great work ethic and good head on his shoulder in an organization that if anything, babies it's pitchers coming back from injury.

Hopefully he will put it back together, but he certainly didn't help his cause for sticking on the rotation with that first start.

58 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That's a scary thought. Matt did lose some velocity, but he also struggled to come back from his injuries and that was partially because the organization wasn't very good at rehabbing guys. 

Hall has a great work ethic and good head on his shoulder in an organization that if anything, babies it's pitchers coming back from injury.

Hopefully he will put it back together, but he certainly didn't help his cause for sticking on the rotation with that first start.

Reading all the hype about GRod this morning, a lot of it points to his cool, calm demeanor on the mound. What strikes me about Hall is his rapid, shallow breathing, almost hyperventilating. To this fan's eye, he needs to ground himself, be more solid and settled out there. Last year in Balt I thought it was just rookie jitters, but he looked the same in this AAA start. 

9 minutes ago, now said:

Reading all the hype about GRod this morning, a lot of it points to his cool, calm demeanor on the mound. What strikes me about Hall is his rapid, shallow breathing, almost hyperventilating. To this fan's eye, he needs to ground himself, be more solid and settled out there. Last year in Balt I thought it was just rookie jitters, but he looked the same in this AAA start. 

He's become very jittery on the mound over the last two seasons. Last year he seem to walk off every pitch and grab the resin bag or kick dirt or whatever. Very weird because I don't recall that much during his first couple of years. Saying that, it's another reason to move him to the pen. Those high energy guys tend to gas out quicker.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Fairly nice results this afternoon - 78 pitches and just 2 walks.

The 1 run let in didn't happen until he exited the game in the 5th.

78 pitches in 4.1 innings.  Unless he develops some control and command, he is bound for the bullpen.  Makes sense to try to still make him a starter, but I am beginning to believe his best possible outcome, and it would be a remote and amazing one, would be Josh Hader

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

78 pitches in 4.1 innings.  Unless he develops some control and command, he is bound for the bullpen.  Makes sense to try to still make him a starter, but I am beginning to believe his best possible outcome, and it would be a remote and amazing one, would be Josh Hader

He did see an increase in str% in this start.

That was 6 pitches per out. IF he builds up to 100 pitches and keeps the 6 pitches per out rate over a season that is 170+ IPs over 32 starts. The K/9 for this start was over 12. Over 170+ IPs that rate would exceed 220 Ks.  That would look good in any rotation.