DL Hall 2023

justD

23 hours ago, RZNJ said:

It’s not about winning at all costs.  I do think they think they have a team capable of making the playoffs.

This is a year of balancing goals.  We want to win, and we want to give our players the best path for their long term development.  They are not mutually exclusive but there will be times when one takes priority over the other.  And it will vary from one situation to another.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Gurgi said:

This kid is going to be another reason to not draft high school arms with a first round pick.   

We’ll see.  So far, two of the top 5 rWAR producers in that first round are high school pitchers: Trevor Rogers and Hunter Green.   We’ll see what Hall eventually becomes, but I think he’ll be at least an above average reliever.   

8 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I don't think moving him to the pen is going to help him.  It's not a matter of stuff, it's a matter of command.  He needs to pitch lots of innings/reps.  Keep starting him.

But we saw improved command in the bullpen last September maybe because he's not trying to incorporate 4 different pitches in one inning.  Out of the bullpen he can be fastball/sider or fastball/changeup.  

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I don't think moving him to the pen is going to help him.  It's not a matter of stuff, it's a matter of command.  He needs to pitch lots of innings/reps.  Keep starting him.

I think the approach change from starter to reliever would help with that. As a reliever, you can rely on your stuff and attack hitters. As a starter, he could be too focused on perfection, resulting in poor command.

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

This^^^^^^^

Plus, he can afford to have 20-pitch inning in relief but that doesn't work as a starter or he'll never get into that 6th inning very often. Hall had a 69% strike rate in relief last year with the Orioles. He has a 60% strike rate in his three starts this year and a 63% as a starter last year AAA.

Trust me, I get why people want to wait on Hall because of the repertoire, but he's 24-year old (turns 25 in Sept) and he's pitched 5 innings or more in just 4 of his 21 AAA starts. 

I know I'd rather have him in the pen than Gillaspie a with Perez not as sharp this year, it makes sense to have that 3rd lefty (4th when Akin returns) out there. 

Wonder when they will pull the trigger on this.  I still like the old school approach of bringing a youngster up and having them pitch out of pen to learn how to get MLBers out and then make an adjustment year two if the performance dictates it.  It both helps the team in the short term and helps the player long term.  I think it’s short sighted to think once you turn a guy into a RP he has to remain there for the rest of his career. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/16/2023 at 6:41 AM, Sports Guy said:

I wouldn’t say a “bunch of crooked numbers”. He gave up 2 hits and 2 runs.

But 3 walks and a 56% str% is bad.

Since I know that you think Roch’s opinions are based on inside information rather than just his own speculation, here’s a tidbit from today:

How soon might we expect to see DL Hall with the O's? And as a starter or in the ‘pen?

No ‘pen. You can write that in ink. He’s a starter. Hall is getting stretched out at Norfolk. It shouldn’t be a long process, since he threw 89 in his last outing. He might already be there. If his stuff is good, the Orioles will find a way to fit him into the rotation. Just don’t ask me how.

====
Okay, I’ll write that in ink, and return to this post when he’s proven wrong.