Jorge Mateo 2023

Frobby

2 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Right!  I had to read it a second time.  Good to hear Mateo's walking and/or Hyde's talking unassisted.

He walked off the field unassisted last night.   Walking out of the clubhouse unassisted hardly seems like news.

56 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I agree. I think that's how it will shake out if Westburg is promoted vs Ortiz, but Westburg is not on the 40-man so I would be surprised if it's him. 

Westburg is also just getting over an injury where he missed 7 days.  So he's probably just not playing today because its a day game after a night game, and it would be his 3rd game in a row.  

Depth is good.  I would pull the trigger on Ortiz for Vavra though because of the LH SP coming up.  Then let Mateo play it day to day.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He walked off the field unassisted last night.   Walking out of the clubhouse unassisted hardly seems like news.

Plenty of times an injury gets worse after the adrenaline fades. That’s never happened to you? Once you cool down it tightens up and swells. It’s not huge news, but it’s a nice indicator at least that it’s not a significant acute injury. 

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Hips can be very tricky. They need to make sure he’s good, especially for a guy who makes his living with his legs.

I'd IL him as a precaution.  Note:  I'd really like to take a peek at Ortiz, so I might have an ulterior motive.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, joelala said:

Plenty of times an injury gets worse after the adrenaline fades. That’s never happened to you? Once you cool down it tightens up and swells. It’s not huge news, but it’s a nice indicator at least that it’s not a significant acute injury. 

Sure, things can tighten up and get worse.  I still don't think it sheds any light on his injury.  

8 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I'd IL him as a precaution.  Note:  I'd really like to take a peek at Ortiz, so I might have an ulterior motive.

I don’t know that they need to rush to the IL but I would give him off for the next few days and see where he is prior to Sunday. 

Don’t want to see it become worse.  Hip injuries are not something you ever want to have. 

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/analyzing-but-also-enjoying-jorge-mateos-hot-start/

The animated graphic with the Savant sliders was fun, and new to me you could dropdown toggle years like that.

Mateo progressing on the One True Path to maximizing air balls to your pull side as the tidbit he's doubled from 30 to 60% in that subset of batted balls shows.     

• Thanks 1

If Elias has a choice my guess is he would like to see Ortiz get to 200 PA at AAA with a 900 OPS or close to it.   I think that qualifies as mastering a level.   He is a 166 PA now.   So 34 PA is not far away. That would mean he can come up and stay.  JMO.

If there is a need then I think Elias will call him up anyway but its not preferable.   After watching the way they the O's handled Urias being hit in the head I think they will try to keep Mateo on the active roster if at all possible.

If he has t

36 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I think if there was a real concern that Mateo would have to go on the IL that Ortiz would have sat the Norfolk game out today. I read his playing today as a good sign that the O's are optimistic that Mateo will be back in the lineup soon, if not on Friday.

16 minutes ago, Pickles said:

If we're going to speculate about the injury, I guess I'll give my two cents.

I think a non-contact hip injury is not good news.  Non-contact injuries tend to be at least fairly serious.

I didn’t see it.  Was this non contact?  (Agree with everything you are saying here too..that would make me more nervous about the injury)

7 minutes ago, HelenaEngineer said:

I think if there was a real concern that Mateo would have to go on the IL that Ortiz would have sat the Norfolk game out today. I read his playing today as a good sign that the O's are optimistic that Mateo will be back in the lineup soon, if not on Friday.

Hard to gauge. It's an afternoon game today and the Os are off. Could easily send him to catch up with the team afterwards if they needed to.