RZNJ

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Mayo or Cowser?

1 hour ago, LTO's said:

1. Holliday

2. Mayo

3. Kjerstad 

4. Cowser

Of those 4, I'd go with:  Holliday, Cowser, Mayo, Kjerstad.  I'd have Mayo higher, but I really buy the hit tool of Cowser.

The top 3 are priced out of the market IMO.  No disrespect to Kjerstad, I'd also put Ortiz ahead of Kjerstad too. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Some people jumped off the Mayo wagon last year and some were slow to get on his wagon nationally. Even around here, there were doubters who mentioned things like an inability to hit low pitches and his lackluster stats at Bowie last year (At 20!!). 

Now is he on a heater who did something just click? The only way we'll know is over time, but it's pretty clear that at 21-years old, he's become a very, very good prospect and my mind, is a MOO prospect who will end up a very good defensive 1st baseman but who could play 3B now if needed (clearly not a need for the Orioles right now unless trades happen).

The only concern for me was the K%.  That can be hard for a power guy his height/long levers to get in check.  But like you said, he was 20!  Age 21 in AA has answered a ton of questions!  Stature-wise, he reminds me of Jim Thome.  I'm still on the MOO wagon!

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Like you, I have been aggressive with my personal Mayo ranking with relation to everyone else.

With Holiday being #1 and assuming GRod isn’t eligible anymore, who is your #2 right now…Mayo or Cowser?  Is there anyone else for you in consideration for the top 3?

I think right now they are the two guys with the most upside outside of Holliday. Basallo could be another guy with that kind of upside. Westburg, Kjerstad and Ortiz are a slight notch below, but very good prospects that each have very good upsides.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Kjerstad over Cowser is a really interesting debate.  Cowser likely has the edge because of defense but I think it’s worthy of a discussion.

I think the defense is heavily in favor of Cowser which gives him the edge for me. Plus it's not like Cowser's bat is below Kjerstad. 

22 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

No one should be untouchable but Mayo should be in the group with Holliday as a piece that is highly unlikely to be traded and likely no one available is worth giving him up for.

I don't know. If there really is to be a trade (or two) for a solid starter and reliever, the O's might need to part with players we really don't want to lose. Holliday is the only one I consider untouchable in our system.  

36 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I don't know. If there really is to be a trade (or two) for a solid starter and reliever, the O's might need to part with players we really don't want to lose. Holliday is the only one I consider untouchable in our system.  

The Os have plenty to trade without moving those types of guys.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Os have plenty to trade without moving those types of guys.

We shall see. Sometimes you have to trade value to get value. If the O's want needle movers they may need to trade somebody that makes us all wince. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

We shall see. Sometimes you have to trade value to get value. If the O's want needle movers they may need to trade somebody that makes us all wince. 

They have plenty of trade to get needle movers.

They aren’t the best system in baseball because of 1 or 2 guys.

15 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

They have plenty of trade to get needle movers.

They aren’t the best system in baseball because of 1 or 2 guys.

OK then... tell me trades that will net us one needle mover for the rotation and one for the bullpen. Not fringe, but real difference makers 

Just now, Jagwar said:

OK then... tell me trades that will net us one needle mover for the rotation and one for the bullpen. Not fringe, but real difference makers 

Well I’m not sure how many real difference makers will be available this deadline. 

But even if there are, the Os have plenty of ways to acquire them.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Well I’m not sure how many real difference makers will be available this deadline. 

But even if there are, the Os have plenty of ways to acquire them.

Fair enough. I hope you're right.

I have a feeling that there will be many teams looking to acquire needle movers. And I'm afraid that Elias is going to have to trade players we really don't want to see him trade. Mayo is one of those players.