Coby Mayo 2023

RZNJ

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

Fair enough. I hope you're right.

I have a feeling that there will be many teams looking to acquire needle movers. And I'm afraid that Elias is going to have to trade players we really don't want to see him trade. Mayo is one of those players. 

Mayo isn't a guy Elias would trade at this point. He's broken out this year to become a top 25 prospect, and that's someone who's going to be difficult to get fair value for. Just my opinion. 

I think Elias will be in the market for relievers this trade deadline and will trade guys like Mateo, Urias, Hall, and Prieto to acquire a couple of quality RPs. There are enough high end hitter prospects to promote to the big league roster (Cowser, Westburg, Ortiz, Kjerstad) that the team will be able to leverage a great offense in order to make it into the playoffs.

9 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Fair enough. I hope you're right.

I have a feeling that there will be many teams looking to acquire needle movers. And I'm afraid that Elias is going to have to trade players we really don't want to see him trade. Mayo is one of those players. 

I would hope that if players in the upper tier of the minors are moved, Elias will be acquiring a talent(s) that will be around for more than this season. 

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Like the Cole Irvin deal.

Yeah.   I think that was a chance worth taking, but it hasn't turned out great, that's for sure.   I would hope that the bar would be a little higher if a top 7 or 8 prospect is included.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Yeah.   I think that was a chance worth taking, but it hasn't turned out great, that's for sure.   I would hope that the bar would be a little higher if a top 7 or 8 prospect is included.  

Sure we need the return to perform better.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s way too early to shovel dirt on Irvin IMO.   That deal made plenty of sense at the time and we’ll see how it goes in the longer run.  

I wasn't shoveling dirt.

The Irvin deal is the only deal of the sort that I can remember Elias making.

I’ll shovel enough dirt on the Irvin deal for both of us @Can_of_corn  

It’s not that I thought Hernaiz was untouchable, it’s that I didn’t see Irvin as a must have piece for our rotation headed into this year. And he’s been awful. 

In regards to Mayo, given his size, I’m wondering if he’s our future first baseman. 

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I’ll shovel enough dirt on the Irvin deal for both of us @Can_of_corn  

It’s not that I thought Hernaiz was untouchable, it’s that I didn’t see Irvin as a must have piece for our rotation headed into this year. And he’s been awful. 

In regards to Mayo, given his size, I’m wondering if he’s our future first baseman. 

I wonder what we do with Heston. He seems to be a 1B destination too. The 2nd half and next year will be fun with these AAA talent waiting to be called up.

Because baseball, Irvin will probably be fine and lead the team in Innings Pitched next year (and then be left off the tournament roster).

Mayo's breakout this year I think gets him up on to Tier 1.    Its just waiting for the Peak Adley lineups with:

Adley, Mayo, "second baseman", Holliday, Gunnar, Cowser, Mullins, Hays, Kjerstad

Santander can fit if Gunnar/Holliday cover the middle infield.    Scott Boras may be the agent for both Gunnar/Holliday, but Mike Elias controls SS reps until next decade.    He'd like one of you to consider this offer people are working on every day.

14 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

I wonder what we do with Heston. He seems to be a 1B destination too. The 2nd half and next year will be fun with these AAA talent waiting to be called up.

Before any trades are executed, or add any new draft picks, in 2 years the O's will have Mayo, Gunnar, Holliday, Ortiz, Westburg, Norby and Mateo for 4 infield spots. Not to mention Prieto and Wagner sneaking in there. I could see Mayo or Westburg shifting to first base, not sure Kjerstad needs to be considered for 1B.  

2 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Before any trades are executed, or add any new draft picks, in 2 years the O's will have Mayo, Gunnar, Holliday, Ortiz, Westburg, Norby and Mateo for 4 infield spots. Not to mention Prieto and Wagner sneaking in there. I could see Mayo or Westburg shifting to first base, not sure Kjerstad needs to be considered for 1B.  

Next year’s outfield has Cedric, Hays and Cowser. Maybe Santander DH/RF. Just guessing based on him playing 1B in the minors.

22 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wasn't shoveling dirt.

The Irvin deal is the only deal of the sort that I can remember Elias making.

That's fair in my mind. I agree with both or you that it's too early to "shovel dirt" on the Irvin deal, but it is an example of Elias trading from his prospect depth to get help at the major leagues. So far it has been a swing and a miss, but I'm hopeful Irvin will still be helpful to this team this year in either a 5th starter or long man role.

There's a way I'm glad Irvin is working out the way it is.    

Despite Grayson sucking, I'd guess the rotation guys as a unit have given the Club more than Elias figured he was going to get.     With the All-Star break there's basically just one month left before at least some kind of trading happens for the race to the finish.

Hopefully Irvin chips in some these last five weeks.     

2 hours ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Kjerstad can play an OF corner just fine. You could always do a peak-value trade of Hays in the off-season and go with Cowser and Kjerstad in the corners. Or DH is an option if Santander goes.