Coby Mayo 2023

RZNJ

On 6/24/2023 at 8:30 PM, ShoelesJoe said:

Maybe Elias is worried that if all the hot prospects are promoted in the same season then down the road they’ll all hit free agency at the same time. He’s staggering their promotions as much as possible so as not to have the roster get nuked five or six years from now. 

Something like this for first year of service time*.

2022: Adley, Bradish
2023: Gunnar, Ortiz, Westburg, Cowser
2024: Kjerstad, Mayo, Norby, Povich, Fabian
2025: Holliday, Basallo, Showalter...

* first year of service time means end of prior year promotions are a possibility.

It would not surprise me if Mayo goes up during the 4th of July weekend for the Tides which is at home. What's more exciting then getting a new top prospect to go along with 3 Fireworks nights? They could move him up for the whole week too. The Westburg promotion just leaves the perfect 3B hole for him to fill.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Hit his 15th homer tonight.

Anyone think he has a chance to be a number one prospect at the end of next year?  I would think after this year he will be top 25.  Any chance the Orioles could have 4 number one prospects four years in a row?

8 hours ago, Gurgi said:

Anyone think he has a chance to be a number one prospect at the end of next year?  I would think after this year he will be top 25.  Any chance the Orioles could have 4 number one prospects four years in a row?

No because of position and because I have my doubts that he even has prospect eligibility by the end of next season.

20 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Despite not having Gunnar’s athleticism and being lower in the defensive spectrum. Does he have the potential to be star player in the same vain?

He's not as fast and provides no where near the defensive value.  If he manages to become a star it won't be in a similar vein as Henderson.  He's going to have to hit a ton.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Despite not having Gunnar’s athleticism and being lower in the defensive spectrum. Does he have the potential to be star player in the same vain?

If he can be a 35+ homer, 70+ xbh, 850+ OPs first baseman with a very good glove, he can be a star.

But a player like Gunnar has more overall tools and plays a premium position, so he will likely always be a “bigger star”.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Now overall I notice 29 K's in 17 innings. That ratio of 1.7 is top of the line for a starter!
    • Urias looks pretty cooked too though, and he's not providing the kind of defensive flexibility that Mateo is, and he doesn't have very good splits for platooning.  At least for 2023 and 2024 Mateo has had good platoon splits.
    • SSS but Holliday was playing incredible defense after like the first game or two when he seemed to have some jitters.  He had +3 OAA in a very short span.  Mateo has looked a little awkward at 2nd to be honest, and he's not the best at making the double play turn.
    • Hoping for a speedy recovery. That all happened fast. Not my initial impression reading the write up.
    • McCann looks cooked but he's in his last year and our options at backup C aren't great unless we're willing to trade for one.  But I'm not giving up a lot for a backup C.   I'd like to find a replacement for Urias.  He didn't look great last year and he's being thrust into a role that he's not really cut out for right now.  I don't think he's getting the 2022 magic back.  Maybe Westburg can go to 3rd full time and one of our 5 AAA 2nd basemen can work in with Mateo at 2nd.
    • I quoted myself, because I wanted to share something with you all.  I have memory issues.  Nothing full blown or anything, but I don't recall things nearly as well as I once did.  I mention this because it occurred to me that I posted a very similar thing about McCann last year, and he performed notably better in the 2nd half.  At least I believe so.   It's not that I feel I'm exactly wrong about McCann, but rather that he showed himself to be better just last season and could do so again.  I hope so. Memory issues are nothing to be ashamed of, though I'd be pretending if it didn't bother me.  I've been dealing with this for maybe five years or so, though it gets worse every year.  At 59, that's younger than most that have such issues.   I'm sure in a forum as populated as this one, there could be others going through what I am.  It is what it is... it's life, and I hope you're all doing your best with it. 
    • Estrada and Tejada both continued their recent surges today.  Estrada was 2 for 4 with a double, while Tejada was 3 for 3  with a homer.  Tejada has his OPS up to .737, not bad for a league where .654 is average.  Estrada is at .628 and climbing.  
  • Popular Contributors