Coby Mayo 2023

RZNJ

5 minutes ago, deward said:

Kjerstad can play an OF corner just fine. You could always do a peak-value trade of Hays in the off-season and go with Cowser and Kjerstad in the corners. Or DH is an option if Santander goes. 

It would be ideal. However, Hays usually does nose drive in the 2nd half. 

Even if he finishes with a 300 BA, do other teams feel this the real Austin Hays? Also, stats/metrics seem to hate his defense.

5 minutes ago, deward said:

Kjerstad can play an OF corner just fine. You could always do a peak-value trade of Hays in the off-season and go with Cowser and Kjerstad in the corners. Or DH is an option if Santander goes. 

Even if he finishes with a 300 BA, do other teams feel this the real Austin Hays? Also, stats/metrics seem to hate his defense.

42 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Actually, I don;t think that;s true. We only have two seasons to go by where he had two full seasons of 1st half and 2nd half and that's 2021 and 2022. In 2021 he hit better in the 2ndhalh, and last year he hit poorly in the 2nd half.

I think it has more to do with his health at the time vs the time of year. Hays has been a productive player when he's healthy.

Saying all that, Hays could be a guy who is going to get more expensive and with Cowser, they have an inhouse replacement who will be cheaper, so I could see him getting moved in the right deal. 

I still would like to see Mayo get some playing time in RF to see how he looks. He may end up too big to be out there and is going to be slow, but his arm certainly would be special out there.

• Upvote 2

3-for-3 and up to .314 batting average.     Last year Gunnar was 150 Bowie and 250 Norfolk plate appearances before Baltimore.    Mayo now around 250 Bowie plate appearances this year.

312/452/573 was the Gunnar Bowie line on the way to the conversation for #1 overall prospect.

• Upvote 2

The Frazier signing is really killing us wrt promoting our minor league players. By all rights Westburg should have been with the big league club out of Spring Training, and Mayo moved up to AAA a month ago. We're holding back young players that are above average to protect an old guy who is below average. It makes no sense. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

The Frazier signing is really killing us wrt promoting our minor league players. By all rights Westburg should have been with the big league club out of Spring Training, and Mayo moved up to AAA a month ago. We're holding back young players that are above average to protect an old guy who is below average. It makes no sense. 

It makes sense if you look at from the viewpoint of Elias' main goal this season as being to delay service clocks.

Now is it to save money?  Try and stagger the service time to maximize competitive window?

He said from the start that the team's goal this year wasn't to win the division.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It makes sense if you look at from the viewpoint of Elias' main goal this season as being to delay service clocks.

Now is it to save money?  Try and stagger the service time to maximize competitive window?

He said from the start that the team's goal this year wasn't to win the division.

I think he wants to stack the system so tight and so strong so that he has multiple shots at the ROY extra picks every year.  Starting to think we won’t see anyone until it doesn’t mess with their rookie eligibility next year.  

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe Elias is worried that if all the hot prospects are promoted in the same season then down the road they’ll all hit free agency at the same time. He’s staggering their promotions as much as possible so as not to have the roster get nuked five or six years from now.