Samuel Basallo 2023

Tony-OH

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What does “filling out” have to do with it?  There are plenty of “filled out” catchers.  

Yeah, it's a lazy cliche.  I said there have been big catchers before above as well (6'2" 220# was Fisk).  It's more a reference to the bat being the draw and the desire to have them on the field.  Murray and Harper come to mind.  But so does Biggio to go the other way.  You got me.  

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What does “filling out” have to do with it?  There are plenty of “filled out” catchers.  

Right.  He’s pretty filled out now.  The kid can catch.  Almost everyone says so.   You don’t move a guy like that to another position.   It’s Benito Santiago/Sandy Alomar Jr, IIRC.   It’s a good problem to have 2 years from now.  It’s also good that Basallo can play 1B.   I could see the Orioles keeping both Rutschman and Basallo together for a year or two.

1 hour ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Do you really think Mullins will still be an O in 2025? 

Same with Mounty and Hays. Do you really think they are still on the team in 2025?

Honest question.

Mullins v. Bradfield could be an interesting 2025 CF scenario - Bradfield will be better at $$$/WAR, and Mullins I think will still be better.      How cheap are we?

I agree Elias won't be paying Hays/Mountcastle late Arb money to be the 10th or 11th guy.

It is kind of settling on me that Hays is in some ways the best trade chip this offseason out of the outfielders.    He has Santander 2-1 on years.     I think '24 Santander flirting with Qualifying Offer worthiness and a hair better more valuable to keep.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Mullins v. Bradfield could be an interesting 2025 CF scenario - Bradfield will be better at $$$/WAR, and Mullins I think will still be better.      How cheap are we?

I agree Elias won't be paying Hays/Mountcastle late Arb money to be the 10th or 11th guy.

It is kind of settling on me that Hays is in some ways the best trade chip this offseason out of the outfielders.    He has Santander 2-1 on years.     I think '24 Santander flirting with Qualifying Offer worthiness and a hair better more valuable to keep.

bradfield Jr isn’t likely ready by 2025.  But everyone should be ready for a continuing stream of young guys to replace older guys. That said, Mullins future will depend upon there being two corner guys that come through the system that can play.  If not, you could see the Orioles exchange arm for range in a corner spot. 

13 hours ago, Just Regular said:

How cheap are we?

I think we know the answer to that question.

I can't say that anything would surprise me more than the O's signing anyone not from the "elite pipeline of talent" to an extension. I think the whole idea is to have a cheap replacement tearing up the minors when it's time to pay big money to anyone on the MLB team. They may have a couple of generational talents in Henderson and Holliday. What to do with them will test the ownership. Not feeling like Angelos will ace that one.

9 hours ago, baltfan said:

bradfield Jr isn’t likely ready by 2025.  But everyone should be ready for a continuing stream of young guys to replace older guys. That said, Mullins future will depend upon there being two corner guys that come through the system that can play.  If not, you could see the Orioles exchange arm for range in a corner spot. 

I hope you are wrong about EBJ. His defense and base running are already MLB ready IMHO. The bat can potentially hold him back but I hope he progresses like the elite athlete he is. We'll see. He's an advanced former SEC player. Let's hope he moves through the system quickly.

There are several good OFs in the minors who can play a passible CF. I doubt they hold on to Mullins once he becomes expensive. I'm almost certain they won't extend him. Especially to play a corner spot. But that's just my opinion. YMMV.

• Upvote 1

I feel as if this year should’ve done a better job convincing people of the diff between avg cf and very good. 

The number of cfs right now that are both above avg offensively and defensively is very small. 

With who we have right now, Mullins is up there for most irreplaceable on the team. If that changes can revisit it then 

1 hour ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I hope you are wrong about EBJ. His defense and base running are already MLB ready IMHO. The bat can potentially hold him back but I hope he progresses like the elite athlete he is. We'll see. He's an advanced former SEC player. Let's hope he moves through the system quickly.

There are several good OFs in the minors who can play a passible CF. I doubt they hold on to Mullins once he becomes expensive. I'm almost certain they won't extend him. Especially to play a corner spot. But that's just my opinion. YMMV.

The question is, where’s the offensive threshold where a great defensive CF can hold down a starting spot on a good team?  And the answer is, it can be pretty low if the defense is good enough.  Myles Straw was worth 2.7 rWAR, 1.9 fWAR last year despite a .564 OPS.  He was that good on defense.  Now, I wouldn’t want to hand Bradfield our starting CF job in 2025 if I thought he was going to OPS .564.   But if I thought he could do .650 as a rookie and build from there, I might bite.  

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The question is, where’s the offensive threshold where a great defensive CF can hold down a starting spot on a good team?  And the answer is, it can be pretty low if the defense is good enough.  Myles Straw was worth 2.7 rWAR, 1.9 fWAR last year despite a .564 OPS.  He was that good on defense.  Now, I wouldn’t want to hand Bradfield our starting CF job in 2025 if I thought he was going to OPS .564.   But if I thought he could do .650 as a rookie and build from there, I might bite.  

Not me. I'll take anybody who can play a MLB CF like Mullins can and also hit. I'm not a fan of running guys out there who can't put the bat on the ball just because they can play up the middle. I'm of the opinion that we should get guys like Mateo off the field and out of the lineup if possible. It's about hitting the baseball. 

12 minutes ago, brucewayne said:

Not me. I'll take anybody who can play a MLB CF like Mullins can and also hit. I'm not a fan of running guys out there who can't put the bat on the ball just because they can play up the middle. I'm of the opinion that we should get guys like Mateo off the field and out of the lineup if possible. It's about hitting the baseball. 

Well, Mateo is the reason I said I wouldn’t put Bradfiekd out there if I thought he’d have a .564 OPS. Mateo had good value out there last year with a .646 OPS and Fielding Bible-winning defense.  This year, at .591 OPS (much lower after April) and defense down a notch, he’s lost his starting job.  So there’s a line there, but it depends on both the offense and the defense.  When you say “play CF like Mullins and also hit,” hit like what?  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, emmett16 said:

14 games at A+ so far....

First 7 Games:

30 PA 0 doubles 0HR 4BB 7K .077 /.200 / .077

Last 7 games:

31 PA 4 doubles 2HR 3BB 5K  .500 / .548 / .857

He caught on fairly quickly.  

Not your normal 19 y/o. Makes quick adjustments, takes walks, lots of power..have read that he has a high IQ.

Lots to like with this guy.

2 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I happen to agree on Bradfield.  I think he has a chance to progress faster than anyone else has at this point.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Not your normal 19 y/o. Makes quick adjustments, takes walks, lots of power..have read that he has a high IQ.

Lots to like with this guy.

I really would try to get him plenty of reps at 1B. Have him share C/1B duties with Adley.