Samuel Basallo 2023

Tony-OH

Salas may play together for a minute with Juan Soto as sure as Nolan Schanuel (and Ben Joyce, and Zach Neto) is with Ohtani.    Juan Soto's last couple months of a ~1/30 contract (aka, Kyle Gibson money) may become an interesting player acquisition target if the '24 Padres year also runs bad.

We'll see if Basallo can earn 3.2 years with Adley like Gunnar's 5.2, and I guess we'll find out soon if Kjerstad gets a try at 4.2 and sharpening his skills for '24 RoY.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize this is a Basallo thread but there’s been a lot of talk about Salas here due to his recent promotion to AA and the obvious comps between he and Sammy age and position wise. 

Just watched the last half of his AA debut game in San Antonio. Let me just say physically, he looks nothing like a kid who just turned 17 a couple of months ago. He’s extremely well put together. He handled the game behind the plate really well from my amateur eyes. Anyhoo…

We’ll, wouldn’t you know it, game goes to extras.  Salas hits a game winning walkoff double in the bottom of the 10th to send the home crowd home happy.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/27/2023 at 9:18 PM, Tony-OH said:

That's ashamed. Probably ends his season, but it was a great season for him.

Why do you think that ends his season?  Isn’t the usual concussion protocol 7-10 days?  Obviously it can be worse (see Brian Roberts), but most times a week or so seems to do the trick.  Or have you heard something different here?

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Why do you think that ends his season?  Isn’t the usual concussion protocol 7-10 days?  Obviously it can be worse (see Brian Roberts), but most times a week or so seems to do the trick.  Or have you heard something different here?

No, I haven't heard anything else. There would only be one more series left in their season when he's eligible to so they may just shut him down. 

I guess it just depends on the severity.

32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

No, I haven't heard anything else. There would only be one more series left in their season when he's eligible to so they may just shut him down. 

I guess it just depends on the severity.

I kind of forgot that Delmarva’s season ends on Sept. 10.  I wouldn’t be surprised if they limit him to 1B/DH, even if they do activate him for a few games.  No reason to risk another bonk on the noggin. 

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I kind of forgot that Delmarva’s season ends on Sept. 10.  I wouldn’t be surprised if they limit him to 1B/DH, even if they do activate him for a few games.  No reason to risk another bonk on the noggin. 

He’s in Aberdeen but they end on the 10th too.

Edited by Sports Guy

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No reason to risk another bonk on the noggin. 

Exactly. There's nothing to really gain by bringing him back for a week. I'd err on the side of caution, congratulate the kid on a great year and get his offseason plan in place. 

I just wonder if they start him in Bowie next year. I'd say that's not out of the question. 

18 hours ago, Yossarian said:

Who will end up with the best MLB power numbers out of these three:

Basallo

Mayo

Kjerstad

I'll say Kjerstad because I'm just a stone-cold believer. I just can't bring myself to pick the catcher out of the 3. Neither Wieters nor Adley hit for as much power as we hoped, although still plenty of time for Adley of course. 

Mayo I think has the most power but I just see Kjerstad as the more polished hitter out of all of them. 

49 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'll say Kjerstad because I'm just a stone-cold believer. I just can't bring myself to pick the catcher out of the 3. Neither Wieters nor Adley hit for as much power as we hoped, although still plenty of time for Adley of course. 

Mayo I think has the most power but I just see Kjerstad as the more polished hitter out of all of them. 

Didn't Harper start out as a catcher?  I'm not sure that Basallo will stay as a catcher,  but time will tell.   I would be okay with a Bench, Fisk, Piazza type of catcher.

33 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Didn't Harper start out as a catcher?  I'm not sure that Basallo will stay as a catcher,  but time will tell.   I would be okay with a Bench, Fisk, Piazza type of catcher.

Any hope he could be RF with the arm and athleticism similar to former O’s prospect Werth who was tall catcher in the minors.

Edited by Chaka Garcia

On 8/30/2023 at 12:12 PM, Chaka Garcia said:

Any hope he could be RF with the arm and athleticism similar to former O’s prospect Werth who was tall catcher in the minors.

While Basallo moves well for a guy his size, he is nowhere near the athlete Werth was. As he continues to age, he’ll likely continue to increase bulk and with that, lose some foot speed and agility. I don’t think OF is in his future.