The 2023 attendance thread

Frobby

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

25k is sad for the first game of a big series.  I feel bad having not gone now.  I will make a trip this weekend. 

I don’t think so.  Current disposable income is tight for many people who would take families to the game. A lot of people just sent their kids back to school and paid for summer vacations, and now saving up for Christmas.  Even in 2012-2016, weekday games were light attendance.  

7 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I was there. I thought it looked like a big crowd all around the infield, and there were a few emty seats sprinkled through out the middle interior seats of some of the sections, but once you got to the end of the foul lines you could notice big chunks of sections with empty seats. Now that I'm thinking critically about it, I think close to 25k sounds pretty accurate. The crowd was very loud and cheered alot for the Orioles. They even had the Bowie Baysox hype man there and he was doing his best to energize the crowed. I mean he was really giving all his energy into getting people to lighten up and cheer for the team. So was the Fired Up Guy (who's name is Merrell).

Overall it was a decent crowd. They supported the team. I just wish there were a few drunk hecklers who would have been effective at distracting the Rays pitchers and getting them off their game LOL.

From the view on TV it looked like more than 25, but I'm not questioning the accuracy of the number.  I'm sure it's correct.

The crowd sounded solid on TV.

I mean, it's not amazing, but 25 K on a school weeknight vs. the Rays is quite an improvement on where we were even a year ago.

3 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I don’t think so.  Current disposable income is tight for many people who would take families to the game. A lot of people just sent their kids back to school and paid for summer vacations, and now saving up for Christmas.  Even in 2012-2016, weekday games were light attendance.  

In a four game Thursday - Sunday series, Thursday is always going to be the weak sister.  If you wanted to catch one game of the Rays series, almost everyone would prefer a weekend game.  It’s different when the whole series is on a weekday.   Then, Thursday often will be the strongest of the four days.  

Now, I’ll say this: in our most recent high water mark attendance year, 2014, the O’s drew 25/35/37 k for a Monday-Wednesday series with Toronto on Sept. 15-17.  Looking at 2016, when attendance was a little lower than ‘14 but higher than now, the team had a Thurs. - Sunday series with Tampa on Sept. 15-18 that drew 19/30/28/28 k, and this series will crush that.  They also had a Mon. - Thurs. series with Boston immediately after that drew 18/20/21/27 k, bearing out my theory that Thursdays do better at the end of a weekday series than they do at the start of a weekend series.   

3 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I agree with this. Basically it is costing everyone 11% more to live life as they have been this year. If your household income is 100K this means it is costing you 11K more to live as you have been. That is quite substantial.